Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iMac/PowerBook: Were the October releases rushed halfbreeds?

iMac/PowerBook: Were the October releases rushed halfbreeds?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 06:26 AM

At the moment it looks like there are a few very angry people who bought iMac iSight models and hi-res screen Powerbooks between October and MWSF.

I was just thinking that maybe these releases were rushed out with what they had at the time (iMac case redesign and improved Powerbook screens and batteries) before the Intel side was ready, because the iMac and PowerBook sales were dropping or for whatever reason??

It just seems like the MWSF announcements were what should have been updates from the original iMac G5 and the older lower-res Powerbooks, and if you ignore the October releases, these computers are both a hell of an upgrade!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 07:22 AM

My Dad needed a computer in November, and I recommended an iMac. Both he and I knew that Intel Macs were on the way. Although I didn't expect Intel iMacs until June, I'm not too pissed off. Dad's not going to notice any difference, he's really happy with all the features. If he did high-end stuff then perhaps it would be annoying, but a G5 is more than enough for his needs, and the rest of the computer is the same.

OreoCookie
Jan 11, 2006, 07:31 AM

I would also like to caution a bit here: if Apple were to put dual-core cpus into the iMac, the speed difference would be much smaller, if there were one at all.

Also, I think this is a statement: look, on the outside it's the same, it runs OS X the same (or faster ), so who cares about the cpu you put in? Well, in any case, the MacBook Pro is exactly what I need now.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by willed
My Dad needed a computer in November, and I recommended an iMac. Both he and I knew that Intel Macs were on the way. Although I didn't expect Intel iMacs until June, I'm not too pissed off. Dad's not going to notice any difference, he's really happy with all the features. If he did high-end stuff then perhaps it would be annoying, but a G5 is more than enough for his needs, and the rest of the computer is the same.
I could repost this exact message word for word and call it mine.

(Same ... Dad ... November ... G5 ... Happy)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules