Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mail question??

mail question??
plunker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 05:06 PM

I have two accounts setup and they do not work quite right. If I open mail and check it I get errors on one account. If I open safari first then the mail works ok. I thought it might be my incoming server but they are correct. Any Ideas??

Also is there an easy way to have your addresses added to an email. I have an email ready, click on addressses, then select the ones I want to send to, then close window, then send. Easier way? Do you guys call a window a window or is there an apple term like Iwindow???hee hee
( Last edited by plunker; Jan 9, 2008 at 05:13 PM. )

ibook_steve
Jan 9, 2008, 05:57 PM

The first problem sounds like an Internet connection problem. When you can't get mail, check the Network system preferences to make sure you have a valid IP address (probably from a DHCP server; your router or your service provider). Starting Safari is grabbing a valid address for use by other Internet apps, like Mail.

I'm not quite sure I understand the second problem. Do you mean you want to automatically send emails to yourself? Or are you saying that you don't want the extra step of selecting other's email addresses? How would you select an address otherwise?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

plunker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 06:05 PM

In gulp Windows I would click the to button on the email and my address book opened and I selected who I wanted then send. Is there an easy way in mail to access address besides the way I described in the 1st post.

On the connection issue the mail gets errors until I open safari and then I can get them. It seems to be working now though so maybe this thing is learning or I am.

One more question. I attached apic to an email and it appears in the boby of the message. Can it be sent as an attachment that needs to be opened instead of appearing in with text.
( Last edited by plunker; Jan 9, 2008 at 06:26 PM. )

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2008, 09:27 PM

When you are composing a new e-mail in Mail you will notice a button on the top of the window labeled address, this will open your address book, from there you can click on a name/e-mail address and then click on to, cc, or bcc to have it added to the corresponding address line.

The picture you put in the body of the e-mail is an attachment. If this e-mail is send to someone who does not have a HTML friendly e-mail client the picture will simply be an attachment.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

plunker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks guys I will keep tinkering....

plunker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2008, 12:58 AM

On my connection issues I believe I just figured it out. On one of my accounts I would get the circle with the wavy line showing me an error on getting mail on that account.

I clicked on the circle and a message popped up do I want this account to be online. Click yes and the account now works like a charm.....

ibook_steve
Jul 4, 2008, 01:10 PM

No offense, but it took 6 months to figure this out? (Or are you just updating us on your status?)

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

plunker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2008, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
No offense, but it took 6 months to figure this out? (Or are you just updating us on your status?)

Steve

I was /am having a problem with one of my email servers getting to download email...... I was setting up another account and just happened on to the error circle and thought I would update others here. I am new to mac and thought others would like to know this.... since no one offered the info to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules