Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > It's Official: 17 MacBook Pro

It's Official: 17 MacBook Pro (Page 3)
mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt
I'm sorry and don't mean to be dense, but DL DVDs are so damned expensive, even though I have a DL burner, I've never burned a DL disk. Granted, this is just my experience, and so I wonder how big a deal a DL burner really is? Am I missing something here?
Compared to a $2800+ laptop, spending $1.50 on a disk seems trivial.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 02:13 AM

FW 800 ices the cake. I'm now thinking upgrade.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Not really. Why keep a machine if it doesn't jive with your needs?
If you are sitting with your laptop keyboard with your knees like this: /\ How do you expect any "laptop" to meet your needs? A lap implies a sitting position with your legs towards the floor.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
Intel has released the 2.33ghz duo chip already. One would think that this would at least be an option now.
Probably in the 17" MacBookPro and the 15" MacBookPro Rev B with Leopard in September.

Who knows or has heard?
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=292329
The same XtremeSystems site owner who reported that the Mac mini could be processor upgraded simply by swapping out the socketed Intel processor, now reports that the unreleased Merom 64-bit mobile processor is also similarly compatible:
It is possible to drop in Merom into Mini, one hell of an upgrade path. confirming this is a working combo, just drop the chip in.

Further details are limited, presumably due to non-disclosure agreements for pre-release hardware. Intel's Merom processor is a mobile 64-bit processor due in late 2006.

The Merom is said to offer 20% more performance than the current Core Duo at the same battery life. The Merom will reportedly come with 4MB L2 Cache (up from 2MB on Yonah). This backward compatible capability has been advertised by Intel:
During a separate briefing, Intel's Mooly Eden showed a benchmark pitting a Dell Core Duo system against the same system with a Merom processor (Eden literally swapped out the Core Duo CPU and stuck in a Merom processor, partly to showcase its backwards comptability). The benchmark was a custom Quake 4 timedemo, with the Core Duo system scoring 106.6 fps while the Merom system scored 134 fps: advantage Merom by just over 25%. We don't know any of the specifics of the settings on the systems, other than they were claimed to be identical.
The platform will also include Intel’s NAND flash–based platform accelerator, codenamed Robson, which enables much more rapid boot–up time and power savings.
While the Intel iMac also has a socketed CPU, the MacBook Pro CPU is soldered to the motherboard.

Soon as that comes out i will get the 17 inch. and look at this http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/04/19/in...ore_inq3_2006/ they said intel is even sooner to debute it.

The one draw back I was hoping they would have is a 512 meg video ram and flash hd for the os and 802.11n maybe?? Looks nice other wise.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I'm sure some people will be happy to have a FW800 port; personally I'd prefer a SATA/e.SATA port, but nobody else is offering those yet. I'm happy to see another USB port, but it's still one shy of what I'd really like.

I'm not surprised that the 15" is more expensive than the 17" for the same configuration; people are willing to pay a premium for something smaller and more portable. 7 pounds and a foot and a quarter wide is beyond what I'd want on the couch or an airplane.

I'm still a bit disappointed Apple hasn't embraced the flexability that other OEMs offer in terms of detaching performance from screen size; some people want a 1.66Ghz 17" and others want a 2.33Ghz 13".

The 17" can use a 12mm optical drive, despite being the same thickness as the 15", because it's wider; with the 15" the thickness new extra-large trackpad encroaches in the optical drive bay. Personally I think that's a terrible trade-off.

I'm also disappointed to see the continued use of EC/34 instead of EC/54, espically in laptops so large and heavy (over 5lb and 15"). All of the ExpressCards I'm interested in are the /54 variety.

I'll be interested to see if the graphics card is underclocked in the 17". If it is, I wonder why Apple didn't save a few dollars and go with the X1400 instead.

I'm surprised Apple launched yet another non-HD laptop at a media event. I'd really like to see Apple catch up to where the rest of the portable market was 3-4 years ago offering 133-150dpi screens (as an option, lest the OMGWTFBBQSMALLTEXT!!1!one!1! crowd flame me).
i agree with the part in bold!! this has to be one of the worst trade offs i have seen
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Compared to a $2800+ laptop, spending $1.50 on a disk seems trivial.
whoa!, dual layer dvd media are something like $7 per unit in my country!

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by zerock
now its just a matter of time, till the 12" comes out...
Anyone else feel that there won't be a 12" MacBook Pro? Surely if the MacBook is going to have a 13.3" WS display why bother with a 12" Pro? The 12" PB was always the poor relation, I had the rev. A and the screen was so dark it was a joke.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2006, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Anyone else feel that there won't be a 12" MacBook Pro? Surely if the MacBook is going to have a 13.3" WS display why bother with a 12" Pro? The 12" PB was always the poor relation, I had the rev. A and the screen was so dark it was a joke.

Yes, the 12" screen size will go, and I don't think there will be a 13" MBP, but maybe a high spec top of the range MacBook to replace it. The comparisons between 12" iBook and PowerBook were always a pain in Apple's arse, this way, the MacBook gets a decent spec, and it doesn't overlap the MBP as much, if at all.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2006, 05:35 AM

LOL price is now up to $2799.

Looks like whoever got it at $2000 got it at a pretty nice discount I wonder if Apple made a mistake, and if so, whether or not they will honor it.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006, 06:11 AM

Can someone help me figure out why the cost went up.This isnt a complain but im wondering why it went up $600 in Australia.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Kadman
Apr 25, 2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt
I'm sorry and don't mean to be dense, but DL DVDs are so damned expensive, even though I have a DL burner, I've never burned a DL disk. Granted, this is just my experience, and so I wonder how big a deal a DL burner really is? Am I missing something here?
Compared to single layer media, the DL media certainly is more expensive. Depending on where you live this could be a couple of bucks, up to maybe even close to $10 in some parts of the world. While I certainly don't burn DL media every day, I run into the SL limits quite often when creating customized home movie media. I generally like to include portrait slide shows with a decent amount of music in with my videos. While I could (and previously have) compressed things down even more in an effort to get them on SL media, I'm more than willing to spend $2-$3 on a disk for the project that will provide better overall quality (i.e. less compression).

Not sure how many others are in this situation, but that's my reasons for wanting DL. It was enough of an issue to give me pause when the 15" came out without it. That said, some narrow-minded individual with little understanding of other people's needs will probably reply and claim that this reason is "stupid", or "complete nonsense". LOL

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 08:36 AM

Yes! I've been expecting exactly that to happen ever since the first MBP came out. However, I've taken some flak for it on this board because many here don't want that to happen. I've heard many reasons why people don't want it, but I've hardly heard one single reason why Apple wouldn't want it.

Of course a 13" MBP is possible, but I believe Apple would rather just stick with a better spec'ed 13" MB to avoid the 12"iB/12"PB ordeal to happen again. I'm expecting two 13" MB configs - one to basically replace the iBook and a better one to replace the 12" PB. I'm wondering if one or even both will have integrated graphics; right now I'm tending to one having it and the other to pack a X1300. Although that would indeed mean 2 motherboards rather than one common design. We'll see.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Yes! I've been expecting exactly that to happen ever since the first MBP came out. However, I've taken some flak for it on this board because many here don't want that to happen…
I think the flak you got was more because of the unwarranted certitude with which you made the no-Pro-13" assertion than because of the content or because you were dashing hopes.
Of course a 13" MBP is possible, but I believe Apple would rather just stick with a better spec'ed 13" MB…
I notice you're allowing a bit more latitude in your predictions now.

I don't know, it seems to me like it could go either way. On the one hand, someon pointed out that the 12" PowerBook sold extremely well. So Apple might look at that and say, "Folks want a small pro laptop, let's get their money." On the other hand, they might say, "Those folks were pretty much buying a shiny iBook anyway; we can just lose the distinction and save some manufacturing and demand-forecasting costs." But the question is really whether what you call an "ordeal" was any kind of problem for Apple's bottom line, or for just some grumpy ol' PowerBook customers. To me, it seems like if Apple can create a large pricing gap based on a smallish difference in componentry and finish, there's good (cha-ching) reasons to do it.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 11:05 AM

My vote is for a 13.3" MacBook (non-Pro) taking the place of both the iBook and 12" PowerBook in one fell swoop.

A good case can be made for it. First, the 12" PowerBook was always something of an iBook Deluxe and suffered for this. It wasn't really an ultraportable, so that particular crowd wasn't satisfied (it rarely is). Shipping without an optical drive or most usual expansion isn't really in line with Apple's philosophy, either. Apple might as well focus on satisfying the people who just want "small" rather than "near-invisible."

Next, the 12" screen (at least in a 4:3 ratio) generally won't satisfy pros (or even many home users) who do want more than an iBook G4 but less than a 15" MacBook Pro. 1024x768 is great for writing or for times when a relatively basic app is all you need, but it's not so hot for much of anything else. You can't play 720p HD video at full size on it; you can't have a contact list or other utility running alongside your main app window; even the menu bar can feel cramped if you have many menus or a large amount of tray items. A 13.3", 1280x800 screen gives you significantly more room.

An important point is that the larger screen allows for more components to be stuffed underneath. Why need separate regular and pro lines at the same size when one line can handle all of it? We know Apple isn't averse to mini-DVI or desktop spanning on consumer hardware anymore. Audio-in is a standard feature even on the Mac mini. Apple will probably be able to stuff all of this into a case at least as thin as that of the 12" PowerBook, too, thanks to components being spread over a larger area inside the case.

So in this world, there are only three Apple laptops: a 13.3" MacBook, a 15" MacBook Pro, and a 17" MacBook Pro. How suited the MacBook is to pro needs depends only on which individual configuration you choose. I think Apple will have a barebones Core Solo model with integrated graphics and Combo drive for those that just want a portable Mac, and at least one higher-end Core Duo model with (hopefully) dedicated graphics and a Superdrive for those who need the extra functionality.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Xisiqomelir
Apr 25, 2006, 12:46 PM

HELL YES!

I LOVE my Rev C G4 17", and I've been waiting forever for the update to the 17" line. 12" is small, cramped and unreadable, 15" is not-quite-there, but 17" is PERFECT. Big beautiful screen and still just 7 lbs.

My current 17" is gonna be good for about another year I think (bought it May '04), and then I'm DEFINITELY getting whatever the Rev of the Macbook 17" is.

p.s. FW800 = awesome. God I love being a Mac user.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
My vote is for a 13.3" MacBook (non-Pro) taking the place of both the iBook and 12" PowerBook in one fell swoop.

A good case can be made for it. First, the 12" PowerBook was always something of an iBook Deluxe and suffered for this. It wasn't really an ultraportable, so that particular crowd wasn't satisfied (it rarely is). Shipping without an optical drive or most usual expansion isn't really in line with Apple's philosophy, either. Apple might as well focus on satisfying the people who just want "small" rather than "near-invisible."

Next, the 12" screen (at least in a 4:3 ratio) generally won't satisfy pros (or even many home users) who do want more than an iBook G4 but less than a 15" MacBook Pro. 1024x768 is great for writing or for times when a relatively basic app is all you need, but it's not so hot for much of anything else. You can't play 720p HD video at full size on it; you can't have a contact list or other utility running alongside your main app window; even the menu bar can feel cramped if you have many menus or a large amount of tray items. A 13.3", 1280x800 screen gives you significantly more room.

An important point is that the larger screen allows for more components to be stuffed underneath. Why need separate regular and pro lines at the same size when one line can handle all of it? We know Apple isn't averse to mini-DVI or desktop spanning on consumer hardware anymore. Audio-in is a standard feature even on the Mac mini. Apple will probably be able to stuff all of this into a case at least as thin as that of the 12" PowerBook, too, thanks to components being spread over a larger area inside the case.

So in this world, there are only three Apple laptops: a 13.3" MacBook, a 15" MacBook Pro, and a 17" MacBook Pro. How suited the MacBook is to pro needs depends only on which individual configuration you choose. I think Apple will have a barebones Core Solo model with integrated graphics and Combo drive for those that just want a portable Mac, and at least one higher-end Core Duo model with (hopefully) dedicated graphics and a Superdrive for those who need the extra functionality.
i dont know whether apple will do what i marked in bold but me things its a bad idea.

firstly there are *very* different kind of 12" buyers... students or those who need less power and those who just want something that is ultra portable... so for example the stock 12 inch ibook would cost a student $949 but the 12inch powerbook would cost the same student $1,399 for what? extra power you are not likely to ever use, and a dvd burner? why not just get a PC laptop that costs $999 with a dvd burner and the specs of the powerbook and just hack that baby to run mac os x or just not run os x at all. do you know how many keggers you can get and go to for $450? if you plan wisely that can pay for drunken madness for 2 to 4 semesters.

or say from the perspective of the buyer who whats an ultra-portable. of course 12 or 13.3 as the case may be is far more portable than 15.4 macbook pro. now should you have to give up power because you want a smaller screen? i think its sony that makes a very nice 10 inch that will give me the power i want, and i mean i am not student anymore why should i buy an underpowered student laptop?

see? such a move would screw over both types of users and make them more willing to look at other better options whether in terms of money or ultra-portableness...

the move that i think would make far more sense is to merge the 12 and 14 inch ibooks into one unit. the price difference for a student is only $250 which is a reasonable difference considering the larger screen and dvd burner and more power. now if you could make a machine that cost somewhere in the middle, say 1,150$ with the student discount, with a 13.3 inch screen dvd burner and say a slower processor than all the other intels. people would bite. students like i was one day who need something as small as possible might be willing to take in that extra 1.3 inches if the dvd burner was included and it came with a base 512mb ram. also it would apple the room to make a 10in screen system... which i think would get many buyers. particularly if it was priced in the $800 range, if not the 13.3 would meet the needs of both the 12in ibook buyers and the 14in ibook buyers.
Computers:

David Aames
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 03:32 PM

Really tough decision. They're both pretty big for portable use, but I dont think I can hold off until a smaller notebook version is released

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2006, 05:25 PM

I'm pretty well set on the 15 inch MBP. I currently own a 12 inch PB and while it's size is perfect for most of what I do. When I wanna get all Pro level... a timeline on a 1024 pixel wide screen is just retarded. As well in Photoshop you have no room to work with a screen that narrow. So I'm look forward to the wide screen.
That said if a 13 inch comes out... I'll be tempted but still probably stick with the 15 incher.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I'm pretty well set on the 15 inch MBP. I currently own a 12 inch PB and while it's size is perfect for most of what I do. When I wanna get all Pro level... a timeline on a 1024 pixel wide screen is just retarded. As well in Photoshop you have no room to work with a screen that narrow. So I'm look forward to the wide screen.
That said if a 13 inch comes out... I'll be tempted but still probably stick with the 15 incher.
If you're doing this stuff mostly at home, you could always just buy a 17" DVI screen for cheap. Unless you're hardcore, Photoshop runs fine on the PowerBooks.

But yeah, the 15" is a nice machine. It's unfortunate it doesn't do dual-layer DVD-R though.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 05:43 PM

I can't see an ADB or SCSI port anywhere either. I HATE YOU APPLE!
Heck YAH! and where's my 5 pin DIN? I have an awesome Packard Bell keyboard.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
Can someone help me figure out why the cost went up.This isnt a complain but im wondering why it went up $600 in Australia.
Guesses:
Reevaluation of local demand
Change in import taxes due to change in suppliers

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2006, 11:11 PM

why does the image on the macnn home page show a slot on the top left (top case) of the new 17" macbook pro? is that a glitch?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Matt S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kadman
Compared to single layer media, the DL media certainly is more expensive. Depending on where you live this could be a couple of bucks, up to maybe even close to $10 in some parts of the world. While I certainly don't burn DL media every day, I run into the SL limits quite often when creating customized home movie media. I generally like to include portrait slide shows with a decent amount of music in with my videos. While I could (and previously have) compressed things down even more in an effort to get them on SL media, I'm more than willing to spend $2-$3 on a disk for the project that will provide better overall quality (i.e. less compression).

Not sure how many others are in this situation, but that's my reasons for wanting DL. It was enough of an issue to give me pause when the 15" came out without it. That said, some narrow-minded individual with little understanding of other people's needs will probably reply and claim that this reason is "stupid", or "complete nonsense". LOL
Some BestBuys are currently clearing out their 10-pack verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5x disks for $5.99. I kid you not. 10 for $5.99. Most stores do not have any more. They are changing to the 25 packs which are something like $45 dollars.

Did you know that Apple ships the iMac 10.4 install DVDs (the one with iLife, Garageband, etc.) on Dual layer disks? You can't even back up your media, or change the installer script for installing on another machine, without a DL burner.

You'll be needing DL burning capability before long, best to have it when you need it.

Matt S

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
firstly there are *very* different kind of 12" buyers... students or those who need less power and those who just want something that is ultra portable... so for example the stock 12 inch ibook would cost a student $949 but the 12inch powerbook would cost the same student $1,399 for what? extra power you are not likely to ever use, and a dvd burner? why not just get a PC laptop that costs $999 with a dvd burner and the specs of the powerbook and just hack that baby to run mac os x or just not run os x at all. do you know how many keggers you can get and go to for $450? if you plan wisely that can pay for drunken madness for 2 to 4 semesters.
I think that you are missing the point there:
We are Mac users. OS X (and some Apple software suites) is the reason why we use Macs. There is no point at all into comparing with anything else than an Apple product. PeeCeez are of another kind.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by zubro
I think that you are missing the point there:
We are Mac users. OS X (and some Apple software suites) is the reason why we use Macs. There is no point at all into comparing with anything else than an Apple product. PeeCeez are of another kind.
i think that is the case for many, many mac users, but for students who make up a large chunk of ibook12in and ibook 14in buyers i dont think any such loyalty exists, particularly not when you are looking at 450$ differences. in my exprience thats wasted money that could be spent on kegs (after all that is what college is all about), or some other random item(s) like books ( ). with all the effort apple has put into woeing schools and their students i dont that they alienate them by raising the price of its student-friendly products by $450, because even if they had such loyalty to apple, the number that could afford this extra cost is limited (after all if it was not they would just with the powerbook anyway). just my .02 cents.
Computers:

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Matt S
Some BestBuys are currently clearing out their 10-pack verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5x disks for $5.99. I kid you not. 10 for $5.99. Most stores do not have any more. They are changing to the 25 packs which are something like $45 dollars.

Did you know that Apple ships the iMac 10.4 install DVDs (the one with iLife, Garageband, etc.) on Dual layer disks? You can't even back up your media, or change the installer script for installing on another machine, without a DL burner.

You'll be needing DL burning capability before long, best to have it when you need it.

Matt S
I agree that its very annoying that the DL burner was excluded from the 15' MBP but I wasn't too worried since I'd read that trends in data backup were moving toward things like usb key drives. However, now I'm worried since you're saying that your install disks were dual layer. I'm hoping that I won't start seeing program disks and games in DL.

I seemed to have read somewhere though that the 15 MBP drive can read the DL disks but just can't burn them. Does anyone know if that is true?

Kadman
Apr 26, 2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I seemed to have read somewhere though that the 15 MBP drive can read the DL disks but just can't burn them. Does anyone know if that is true?
This has always been true (specific compatibility issues with some read/write media aside). Nearly all of the DVD movies you buy are dual layer. It's just been the ability to BURN dual layer media that's been the "evolution" of optical media.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
i think that is the case for many, many mac users, but for students who make up a large chunk of ibook12in and ibook 14in buyers i dont think any such loyalty exists, particularly not when you are looking at 450$ differences. in my exprience thats wasted money that could be spent on kegs (after all that is what college is all about), or some other random item(s) like books ( ). with all the effort apple has put into woeing schools and their students i dont that they alienate them by raising the price of its student-friendly products by $450, because even if they had such loyalty to apple, the number that could afford this extra cost is limited (after all if it was not they would just with the powerbook anyway). just my .02 cents.
I'm a student with a Mac who knows a lot of students with Macs, and let me tell you, you'd be very surprised. Most of the people I know who switched to them now wouldn't give them up. Even though most of us here don't have a lot of money, a fair amount saved up for PowerBooks, and I've now got a few friends interested in snagging some MBPs. I think your statement holds water with those that aren't previously Mac users, but most of the people I know, once they've switched, they're willing to pay the price even if it means a few less beers a month. Let me tell you, getting drunk isn't the most important thing in the world, and that's certainly NOT what college is all about.

LiquidSnake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 09:06 AM

Hello to all,
Just ordered my new 17 inch Macbook pro from Amazon with a 150 dollar rebate + 2 day free shipping.
Click here to visit my photo's
PowerMac G5Dual 2.0-2 GbRam& 160&400 HDD
MacBook Pro 17 inch Glossy 2 gig Ram
PowerBook 12 inch 1 ghz 768 MbRam
Sony VGA-A270 17 inch wuxga 1gbRam Radeon9700

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 26, 2006, 09:26 AM

I agree that its very annoying that the DL burner was excluded from the 15' MBP but I wasn't too worried since I'd read that trends in data backup were moving toward things like usb key drives.
Maybe if my USB drives were 100 GB I'd agree with you.

However, now I'm worried since you're saying that your install disks were dual layer. I'm hoping that I won't start seeing program disks and games in DL.
Apple install disks and program disks have been dual-layer for quite some time now.

Of course.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stratus Fear
I'm a student with a Mac who knows a lot of students with Macs, and let me tell you, you'd be very surprised. Most of the people I know who switched to them now wouldn't give them up. Even though most of us here don't have a lot of money, a fair amount saved up for PowerBooks, and I've now got a few friends interested in snagging some MBPs. I think your statement holds water with those that aren't previously Mac users, but most of the people I know, once they've switched, they're willing to pay the price even if it means a few less beers a month. Let me tell you, getting drunk isn't the most important thing in the world, and that's certainly NOT what college is all about.
i think i was joking about the "thats what college is all about" thing...
Computers:

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2006, 01:24 AM

what about 512 megs of video ram. Other pc companys have them as a factory install why can't apple?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by yoyoman
what about 512 megs of video ram. Other pc companys have them as a factory install why can't apple?
Because the video chipsets that include 512 MB of RAM draw much more power, generate more heat, and are typically very expensive?

It's not just a question of picking the fastest chipset you can and using it, especially not since Apple still emphasizes portability (even in the 17" model). There has to be a balance where performance doesn't seriously hurt battery life or the dimensions of the case. The 17" MacBook Pro is the only 17" laptop I'd even consider carrying; I don't want that to change, even if it would mean better frame rates in Quake 4.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
That's a stupid reason for taking back a whole computer. Complete nonsense.
Why? What reason could I okay with you so I could return it almighty one?

BTW aristotles, i don't know where you got the idea I had my knees like this /\, but I i'm talking about sitting upright on a chair with your feet touching the ground and knees at a 90 degree angle!

I would LOVE to see a picture of you like this with your 15" MBP on your lap and the screen facing your eyes! I would JUST LOVE IT! (if you aren't a dwarf)

This has been discussed extensively in another thread.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidSnake
Hello to all,
Just ordered my new 17 inch Macbook pro from Amazon with a 150 dollar rebate + 2 day free shipping.
Did Amazon charge tax on the 17" MacBook Pro?

redesigner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 05:14 PM

I bought a 13.3" Sony VAIO for my sister just two weeks ago. It was a close call with the 15" MacBook Pro.. but the Sony is only 4lbs, and GOSH you can tell the difference.

If Apple can bring out the new iBook replacements at that weight, you'll see a huge uptick on the laptop sales. I'll be there too.. hopefully not to wait too long to actually get it.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by redesigner
I bought a 13.3" Sony VAIO for my sister just two weeks ago. It was a close call with the 15" MacBook Pro.. but the Sony is only 4lbs, and GOSH you can tell the difference.

If Apple can bring out the new iBook replacements at that weight, you'll see a huge uptick on the laptop sales. I'll be there too.. hopefully not to wait too long to actually get it.
If it's the SZ series that is a beautiful laptop. I've been thinking of getting the SZ160 but am waiting to see what the 13.3" MacBook Pro is like. I doubt the 13.3" MacBook will have a 128mb discrete video card though, I hope it does.

redesigner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by striker100
If it's the SZ series that is a beautiful laptop. I've been thinking of getting the SZ160 but am waiting to see what the 13.3" MacBook Pro is like. I doubt the 13.3" MacBook will have a 128mb discrete video card though, I hope it does.
It was the SZ140 - it hit the right price-point, with the $250 Best Buy instant rebate. The SZ160 is the carbon-shell premier model, if I remember.

As for the discrete video card, SONY's design is quite ingenious - it had a switch on top of the keyboard that switches between the Intel MA950 (for battery life) and the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 with 256MB (for performance). It's a nice option to have; you do have to reboot to change video modes.

Just prayingggggggggggggg that Apple hits the provervial bullseye on this one. I've owned top-flight PowerBooks, but my last purchase was a Pismo.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by redesigner
It was the SZ140 - it hit the right price-point, with the $250 Best Buy instant rebate. The SZ160 is the carbon-shell premier model, if I remember.

As for the discrete video card, SONY's design is quite ingenious - it had a switch on top of the keyboard that switches between the Intel MA950 (for battery life) and the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 with 256MB (for performance). It's a nice option to have; you do have to reboot to change video modes.

Just prayingggggggggggggg that Apple hits the provervial bullseye on this one. I've owned top-flight PowerBooks, but my last purchase was a Pismo.
I checked out that laptop at a local computer store and I have to say its a fantastic machine. It's more expensive that the Macbook probably will be, but its features are impressive for the size. Hopefully, Apple is taking note and will respond in kind.

redesigner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 11:40 PM

I checked out that laptop at a local computer store and I have to say its a fantastic machine. It's more expensive that the Macbook probably will be, but its features are impressive for the size. Hopefully, Apple is taking note and will respond in kind.
It was right under $2000, and the $250 instant rebate made up for the NYC sales tax.

What's astonishing is it's weight. For 4lbs, it's packs a real punch. I still miss my old PB 2400.

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 01:19 PM

Can someone help clear this up for me?

The 17 inch says 8x Dual Layer. However, when I looked at the specs:

Maximum write: 8x DVD-R and DVD+R; 4x DVD-RW and DVD+RW; 2.4 DVD+R (double layer), 24x CD-R; 16x CD-RW

It only lists DVD+R (double layer)

Is this a mistake? Where is the DVD-R (double layer)?

I was contemplating 17 inch or 15.4 inch for the dual layer and resolution, but if this is the case, I'll pass and stay with the 15.4 inch. The other differences aren't worth the size/weight increases.

24klogos
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ian_Bullock
Come on guys! Apple delivered a new laptop that fixed most of the problems that you were all whining about - too few USBs, no DL DVD burner, no firewire 800. And now you're complaining about Apple ****ing over early adopters instead and the lack of S-video? What would satisfy you? I'm guessing a 15" macbook pro with all the features of the 17". But then some of you would complain about the 17" having no extra features for the extra money, and others would complain about the 15" being to big and how they want a 13" macbook pro, not just a 13" macbook! Sigh... I hope that post makes sense, may have gone on a nonsensical rant, but I think you get the gist

Ps: I'm not really annoyed, just teasing that's all.

ummmmm what?
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by b3b0p
Can someone help clear this up for me?

The 17 inch says 8x Dual Layer. However, when I looked at the specs:

Maximum write: 8x DVD-R and DVD+R; 4x DVD-RW and DVD+RW; 2.4 DVD+R (double layer), 24x CD-R; 16x CD-RW

It only lists DVD+R (double layer)

Is this a mistake? Where is the DVD-R (double layer)?

I was contemplating 17 inch or 15.4 inch for the dual layer and resolution, but if this is the case, I'll pass and stay with the 15.4 inch. The other differences aren't worth the size/weight increases.
DVD-R DL came out on the market well after DVD+R DL; I'd guess the slot-loading slim drives (which are generally behind the curve compared to tray and non-slim drives) Apple is using don't support it.
DVD+R DL media is cheaper (and more compatible with booktype setting) than DVD-R DL media, so you're not missing much.

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by theyoda3
NO! How did you beat me, by 1 minute. You weren't there when my page updated!

EDIT: That's because you didn't! Ha! I beat you by one minute but I made an edit so it looks like mine was 1 minute later. Sadly, we still have 2 threads on this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules