Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes not respecting podcast/iPod syncing rules

iTunes not respecting podcast/iPod syncing rules
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 09:59 AM

I put this here because I believe the fault lies with iTunes. Basically, I have some podcasts I don't listen to anymore, but kept a few old episodes, that sync to my iPod regardless of what the rules are. More confusing is the fact that it doesn't sync every old podcast I stopped listening to – only 2/3.

So far I've tried the:
• Sync only new setting
• Sync only selected podcasts setting (went so far as to uncheck every podcast and they still synced)
• Sync only 3 most recent (Causing some wildly inconsistent behavior where it synced 5 episodes of an old podcast, but only 1 of 2 eps of a current podcast)

I have checked other playlists to see if the older podcasts were being synced for that reason (as recently listened episodes of current podcasts are being synced since they are in my recently played playlist), but everything seems to be in order regarding that.

Anyone else have similar issues?

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2008, 10:25 AM

When you have it set to sync only new, have you listened to the podcast all the way to the end? Not stopped before the end? "Unplayed" means anything not listened to all the way. "New" means anything that started to play, regardless of whether or not it played to the end. Could this be your problem?

I have had a similar problem to yours, and found that if I unsubscribed and deleted all episodes of the offending podcasts, then resubscribed and re-downloaded the episodes, it seemed to clear up the matter. I still have one podcast that has started to sync to my iPod after two years of not syncing, even though I have listened to it all the way through (several times), and I have mine set to sync all "unplayed". This one is sticky, because it is no longer offered and I don't want to delete it from iTunes for several reasons. So I have just given up.
Mary

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
When you have it set to sync only new, have you listened to the podcast all the way to the end? Not stopped before the end? "Unplayed" means anything not listened to all the way. "New" means anything that started to play, regardless of whether or not it played to the end. Could this be your problem?
Nope, everything that's syncing that shouldn't has at least one full play, if not more.

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
This one is sticky, because it is no longer offered and I don't want to delete it from iTunes for several reasons. So I have just given up.
Same problem here. I could archive the podcasts, but then I'd have to keep most out of my library, else they'd sync with 'Music.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules