Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What RSS readers do you prefer? ...

What RSS readers do you prefer? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2005, 06:38 PM

I generally use my.yahoo.com and rojo.com as they're free. And since they're web based, I can access them from anywhere and always have the same feeds.

I really like Yahoo's presentation, but prefer the fact that Rojo allows me to group the feeds by category.

What do you use?

Chris

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by cmeisenzahl:
I generally use my.yahoo.com and rojo.com as they're free. And since they're web based, I can access them from anywhere and always have the same feeds.

I really like Yahoo's presentation, but prefer the fact that Rojo allows me to group the feeds by category.

What do you use?

Chris
NetNewsWire

aecheylon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2005, 07:49 PM

NetNewsWire 2 (available now as beta) is excellent.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2005, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by akuma-x:
NetNewsWire
Same.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2005, 09:23 PM

I am contractually bound to say Tickershock

(which I might add some use as their main reader and others use in conjunction with other, more standard readers such as NetNewsWire).
( Last edited by saddino; Mar 5, 2005 at 09:31 PM. )

mishap
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 10:25 PM

I have to say I prefer NewsFire over netnewswire.

Oh, and i dont think i would get any work done if i used an RSS ticker near my menubar. I intentionally have all my feeds set to update somewhere between 1 to 3 hours depending on the site. i would easily get distracted reading all the new articles coming in or even older articles scrolling by.
( Last edited by mishap; Mar 5, 2005 at 10:32 PM. )

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2005, 10:43 PM

newsfire

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
Oh, and i dont think i would get any work done if i used an RSS ticker near my menubar. I intentionally have all my feeds set to update somewhere between 1 to 3 hours depending on the site. i would easily get distracted reading all the new articles coming in or even older articles scrolling by.
I totally agree. That's why Tickershock is completely adjustable: you can put in anywhere on your screen at any size, and have it only appear (for example) every two hours for ten minutes at a time just to give you a quick update. You also can make it only give you the latest news items, and have it ignore "older" articles. IMHO, it's this configurability that makes Tickershock a flexible RSS solution. Not for everyone for sure, but definitely not your standard "news" ticker, slammed up against your menu bar driving you crazy.

mac15
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 11:24 PM

I use NewsFire (bought it) but lately I've been using NetNewsWire 2 alot, they're both incredibly nice but NNW updates feeds (if changes were made) and NewsFire creates a duplicate item. But NNW you can't sort by new items and keep things in Alphabetical order (like NewsFire).

mishap
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by saddino:
I totally agree. That's why Tickershock is completely adjustable: you can put in anywhere on your screen at any size, and have it only appear (for example) every two hours for ten minutes at a time just to give you a quick update. You also can make it only give you the latest news items, and have it ignore "older" articles. IMHO, it's this configurability that makes Tickershock a flexible RSS solution. Not for everyone for sure, but definitely not your standard "news" ticker, slammed up against your menu bar driving you crazy.
ahh...ok. didnt really check it out. just saw ticker and ran away. sounds cool. would be really cool on a tv screen

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2005, 12:18 AM

I normally use NetNewsWire, although I'm currently trying out NewsFire. It has a few bugs, so I might go back to NNW.

I was surprised to see Internet RSS reader stats the other day. NetNewsWire is - by far - the most-used RSS reading application of any platform. I suppose it shows how quickly new technology catches on among Mac users compared to the Windows world.

(Edited a typo.)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 04:28 AM

Im currently using NewsFire - as those smart feeds kick ass!
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

kemuri
Mar 6, 2005, 08:04 AM

Newsfire - it breaks away from the typical kind of RSS program, very nice.
Will you be voting in liars and murderers come May 5th? The US screwed up by voting in their very own little genocidal maniac. Will you? If Labour's own members are in disarray about the Iraq war, what does that tell you?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2005, 08:42 AM

Waiting for Safari RSS.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kemuri
Mar 6, 2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Waiting for Safari RSS.
I've tried it, not too keen on the implementation. If they made it function like sage for Firefox (feeds in a pane on the side of the browser), then I'd be interested, but so far it's looking lacklustre.

Still, YMMV,
Will you be voting in liars and murderers come May 5th? The US screwed up by voting in their very own little genocidal maniac. Will you? If Labour's own members are in disarray about the Iraq war, what does that tell you?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2005, 09:29 AM

We'll see what the gold offers.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mishap
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Waiting for Safari RSS.
I think Safari RSS will just read the xml files and render them with its own style sheet. It isn't actually an RSS aggregator. Sure, you can open multiple feeds at once, but does it actually check for new items, mark items as read etc?

I'm asking here, because this is something i've seen very little on lately.

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 12:36 AM

NetNewsWire 2.0 beta > *

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 01:34 AM

I use and enjoy Sage, a feed aggregator plugin for Firefox. I like not having another application open just for feeds, and having feeds within the browser just seems to make sense to me.

osxisfun
Mar 7, 2005, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by akuma-x:
NetNewsWire
Agreed.

Newfire has a nice interface but i just feel netnewswire is more for rss pros with all its bells and whistles...

threestain
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 07:11 AM

I really like News You Can Use - little menubar icon and works nice and smoothly.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 08:52 AM

You get a very complete list of Aggregators here:

http://apfelwiki.de/wiki/Main/RSSReader

The site is in German only, but the list is up-to-date. Clicking on the names you will get to the homepages by clicking on the links marked as external.

I can't wait to get my hands on Tiger and therefor Safari 2! I love how they have managed to compine RSS and web browsing.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 10:47 AM

newsfire. i bought it when it said i need to buy it to have more than 25 feeds. bastard!

no, i really like the app, been using it since really early versions, and the smartfeeds are awesome.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
I use and enjoy Sage, a feed aggregator plugin for Firefox. I like not having another application open just for feeds, and having feeds within the browser just seems to make sense to me.
Ditto.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by mishap:
I think Safari RSS will just read the xml files and render them with its own style sheet. It isn't actually an RSS aggregator. Sure, you can open multiple feeds at once, but does it actually check for new items, mark items as read etc?
If you look at the latest screenshots on Apple's site, the number of new, unread feeds are listed by the folder name.

I also think there's an option to have unread item appear in a different color.

Additionally, it doesn't just open multiple feeds at once, but it can organize all individual news items of all feeds in reverse-chronological order. That way, all new items are up top, anyway.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Forum Links
Forum Rules