Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > DynDNS updater/client only working from machine that's physically connected to router

DynDNS updater/client only working from machine that's physically connected to router
apostacy
Feb 17, 2006, 01:54 AM

Anyone know why the DynDNS updater/client on my iMac is updating dyndns.org with it's local IP address (192.168.1.102) instead of my WAN(?) address (eg, 68.49.210.75); and when I run a similar client from the PC that's connected to the router, it knows to use my WAN address?

My iMac is on my wireless network via an airport card, but it's running the web server that I want to use. Meanwhile the router is connected directly to my PC, although. Does this have something to do with the slightly higher status given to the physically connected machine (the way it does when it's been reset and can only be initially configured that way)? If so, is there a way around this?
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2006, 09:36 AM

Check the program's settings. There's an option for updating either the WAN or LAN address. Sorry that I can't say "look right here" for it, (I don't use a dynamic DNS program) but this has come up several times in the past.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

apostacy  (op)
Feb 17, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Check the program's settings. There's an option for updating either the WAN or LAN address. Sorry that I can't say "look right here" for it, (I don't use a dynamic DNS program) but this has come up several times in the past.
Thanks ghporter. I didn't see this setting, but I have an old version of the app. I think I'm going to update and dig around some more.
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

indigoimac
Senior User
Feb 18, 2006, 09:26 PM

I don't remember exactly where it is but you need to tell it to monitor your "external" ip address It's pretty easy to find I think it's just part of the initial configuration
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules