Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" iMac videocard 7600GT vs 7300: How big is the difference

24" iMac videocard 7600GT vs 7300: How big is the difference
centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 16, 2007, 11:04 PM

I haven't been able to find any numbers between these two cards. Is the 7300 really that bad? Thanks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 11:05 PM

Yes. Go for the 7600. Seriously.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2007, 11:36 PM

http://barefeats.com/imcd4.html

That link says there's a HUGE difference, usually around a 200% increase from the 7300GT to the 7600GT.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 17, 2007, 12:31 AM

Here's the thing: I can get a refurb 24" with a 7300 for $1700... but if I want the 7600GT, I have to buy it new, and it's basically $2000.

So we're talking a difference of $300, just for the videocard.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 12:38 AM

It's still worth it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

schwaz80
Jan 17, 2007, 02:13 AM

I just got one with the 7600GT! It's SICK! For me the difference was only $100 or so. I used my education discount and upgraded to a wireless keyboard and mouse plus AppleCare. All those upgrades are cheaper with the EDU discount. If you price out a refurb 24" iMac + the listed accessories... you really don't save that much.

P
Jan 17, 2007, 11:28 AM

It's the 7300GT, not the regular 7300. The difference is actually quite large, as the 7300GT is a throttled 7600 rather than an overclocked 7300. And the 7300GT isn't bad - it beats the (undefined) X1600 in the other current iMacs. It is also just as capable, featurewise, as the 7600GT. The issue is the framerate in games.

Basically, the core is cut down by a third (8 pixel pipes instead of 12) and the clock is much lower (350 MHz instead of 560 MHz). That in itself would make the 7600GT about 150% faster. It also has less RAM for textures, which can cut the speed even more in certain cases.

It really comes down to if you're gaming. The 7600GT is an excellent board, and it's the one I'd recommend to anyone who was building a PC today. The 7300GT is more capable than it sounds, but it doesn't have the GPU power to satisfy a gamer.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 17, 2007, 01:52 PM

*@&#$(*&@. Well I like games.... but again, the difference in price is rather large. Plus, if i do get the one with the 7600GT, I probably won't be able to up the ram to 2 gigs for a while.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2007, 07:16 AM

Depends on how gpu hunry your needs are and how long you want to keep the machine.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 18, 2007, 11:02 AM

Screw it. I'm going for the 7600. It's going to piss me off if I buy a new computer and it can't play a game very well.... then I'll just spend hours trying to figure out how to upgrade to the 7600GT anyway, so I might as well get it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 11:25 AM

Yes, the 7600GT is MUCH better, but if you're only doing 2D stuff, and the 7300GT is $300 cheaper, it's a tough choice. You said you like games though... Then it's a no brainer. You MUST get the 7600GT.

I chose the 7600GT since the difference in price was so minor, especially in Canada.

And it's always easy to up the RAM later. The same can't be said for the GPU.

P
Jan 18, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Screw it. I'm going for the 7600. It's going to piss me off if I buy a new computer and it can't play a game very well.... then I'll just spend hours trying to figure out how to upgrade to the 7600GT anyway, so I might as well get it.
That's how I usually think. I was in the same situation when I built a machine recently, except it was between a 7600GT and a 7950GT. I went with the 7950GT - that board rocks...

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 09:54 PM

Keep in mind that for $300 you can get an Xbox 360...

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 19, 2007, 12:32 AM

yeah, but you can't get imacs with 7900s... YET. When they do make them, I'll probably upgrade. GO MXM! This looks to be the most upgradeable iMac yet. Easy to find, cheap, really fast CPUs, regular hard drives, regular ram, and a non integrated graphics card. Woot.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 19, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
Keep in mind that for $300 you can get an Xbox 360...
I already have a lot of FPS games for my PS2. I also need more GPU power for some video editing, and solidworks and other 'cad' type programs when I'm running bootcamp.... so... in the end, I had to get the 7600.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2007, 11:39 AM

yeah, but you can't get imacs with 7900s... YET. When they do make them, I'll probably upgrade. GO MXM! This looks to be the most upgradeable iMac yet. Easy to find, cheap, really fast CPUs, regular hard drives, regular ram, and a non integrated graphics card. Woot.
There's no guarantee standard MXM cards will work, and even if they did, cooling would be a problem in the iMac, for obvious reasons.

That's assuming you could even find a 79xxGT MXM card to buy in the first place.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 19, 2007, 12:11 PM

So you're saying apple will never upgrade the card? I find that doubtful. I think as they 'redo' the imac line, it'll include better videocards.

newtonuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 06:54 PM

I bought the 24" with the 7600 card and I am more than impressed.

I don't how much graphics cards have improved over the years but my benchmark has always been an ATi Radeon 9700 Pro.

My previous 20" iMac with the standard Radeon X1600 did not perform as well as the 9700, but the 24 with the 7600 leaves it stood.

More than happy with the extra £80 it cost me. $300 is a big amount though.
24" iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 7600GT

P
Jan 22, 2007, 02:33 PM

nVidia's 7th generation boards are awesome. It's always a balance between new cool features and accelerating the last generation, and they've really hit the spot this time. ATi is a little to far over on the "new features" side of it, but history may yet vindicate them.

Oh, I'm sure Apple will upgrade the GPU eventually. I think it more likely to move the other iMacs to the 7300/7600 combo first, but there are 7900 and 7950 mobile models - it could happen, as a BTO.

smith-photo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 12:31 AM

I use a 20" iMac at my church office (and another PC) and just purchased a 24" iMac for my photography business. The unit I purchased (not from Apple) was configured with the 7300 GT, 128MB graphics card. Lots of rumors out ther (many of which I've explored, looking for more than speculation) about whether one can upgrade to the 7600 GT, 256MB card. Of course, you can configure a new purchase from Apple with this upgrade, but can it be done to existing 24" iMacs once they ship...or if you purchase one with the 7300 card refurbished, used, or new from another party.

The answer is "YES". This comes first hand from Apple technical support department (which I spoke with today). Here is what they told me:

1. This upgrade can be done after purchase
2. It will not be performed by any Apple store (they just won't do it). As to why, your guess is probably accurate.
3. It can be performed by an authorized Apple reseller/service center. They can (whether they will may be another issue) order this part (the 7600 GT card) and install it for you. The Apple Technical Support representative assured me that there is a part number that is availalbe to them if they chose to order it and perform this upgrade.
4. What do you do if your local authorized Apple reseller/service center refuses? Apple Tech Support gave me this advice: keep inquiring with other Apple resellers until you find one that will let you give them your business. According to Apple, they are out there.

So, there you have a little "Apple Insider" news. Gentlemen (and Ladies), start your engines!

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 12:17 PM

So what's hte part number and price, for those looking to upgrade?

P
Jan 28, 2007, 06:26 PM

There is one little problem with your scheme, smith-photo: When ordering replacement parts like that, Apple usually requires the broken one to be sent in, or you have to pay a huge penalty. They do it with motherboards and CPUs, at least (or we'd all have upgrade our iMacs by now), and I would be surprised if they didn't do it with GPUs as well. Apple isn't stupid.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 07:45 PM

How do you upgrade an iMac? I don't get your point P. CPUs in iMacs can already be upgraded, for much cheaper than replacement costs through apple. It's a regular chip available on pricewatch.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 04:26 AM

How do you upgrade an iMac? I don't get your point P. CPUs in iMacs can already be upgraded, for much cheaper than replacement costs through apple. It's a regular chip available on pricewatch.
That's because it's a standard Intel CPU sitting in a standard socket. The GPU is soldered to an MXM card. Different ball game.

bdww00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 10:01 AM

TBH you could buy a BOMB ass pc for 2000 bux one that has a 8800gtx AKA the best grphx card out right now.
not to be an apple hater

and yes you could also afford a nice 24" monitor with it

and heck you can upgrade the vid card when the R600 comes out

P
Jan 29, 2007, 10:32 AM

You're right, let me amend that: For replacement CPU daugthercards, such as that found on many PPC models, Apple wants the replaced part back.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 29, 2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's because it's a standard Intel CPU sitting in a standard socket. The GPU is soldered to an MXM card. Different ball game.
Yes I know. Hence why I'm confused as to him citing CPUs and motherboards as 'problems to upgrade'. I don't see the advantage in upgrading a motherboard, and we can easily upgrade iMac CPUs now.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 07:24 PM

If you're already spending 1700, might as well plop down the extra 300. Doesn't make a huge difference IMO, and you might regert not spending that a year from now.

P
Jan 30, 2007, 01:57 PM

Yes I know. Hence why I'm confused as to him citing CPUs and motherboards as 'problems to upgrade'. I don't see the advantage in upgrading a motherboard, and we can easily upgrade iMac CPUs now.
Well, if you have a 1.9 GHz iMac G5 and want a Core 2 Duo model?

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 07:47 PM

Ohhhhhh. Well, the G5s are dead. Any G4/G5 system is dead. There will be no more development, but that isn't because it's an iMac, it's because apple abandoned that architecture. This has been known for quite a while. If you want an intel iMac, sell your current one, as almost everything is different anyway (isight, etc)

P
Feb 1, 2007, 10:36 AM

Ohhhhhh. Well, the G5s are dead. Any G4/G5 system is dead.
All the more reason to try to upgrade, then. But don't focus on the Intel/PPC thing - say that Apple releases new iMacs with Santa Rosa/965PM chipset and a 7600GT standard and you have an older model with the stupid 3 gig RAM limit and an X1600. You could now, theoretically, upgrade by buying a repair part for the new model. Apple doesn't want you to, so they made it harder.

If you want an intel iMac, sell your current one, as almost everything is different anyway (isight, etc)
Actually no, almost everything is the same between the last generation of the PPC iMacs and the first Intel iMacs. The difference is between Rev B and Rev C of the PPC iMacs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules