Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Has the iPhone fallen off the map?

Has the iPhone fallen off the map?
nickw311
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 01:09 PM

Why is there hardly any talk from Apple or AT&T about the iPhone anymore? I never see iPhone commercials on TV anymore and when you go to the AT&T site there is nothing on their main page about it. Then when you try to get more information about it, the page tells you to go to a store. What is wrong here? Is the relationship between Apple and AT&T really that bad?
27" iMac C2D

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Why is there hardly any talk from Apple or AT&T about the iPhone anymore? I never see iPhone commercials on TV anymore and when you go to the AT&T site there is nothing on their main page about it. Then when you try to get more information about it, the page tells you to go to a store. What is wrong here? Is the relationship between Apple and AT&T really that bad?
No.

Anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the past 3-4 months knows what an iPhone is and who makes it. And it's not unusual for a company to slow marketing once a product has been out for over 3 months. Don't read too much into things...

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 01:57 PM

It kind of reminds me of when they released the Motorola ROKR and then never talked about it again. Is that phone even made anymore?

Although I don't think things will go the way of the ROKR, it is still suspicious that neither Apple or AT&T is promoting it. Especially AT&T - their service is spotty and they are known for poor customer care - the only thing that has the potential to bring in customers is the iPhone.
27" iMac C2D

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 02:09 PM

If it's not being promoted, it's probably because it doesn't need promotion.

Apple's not going to waste money on advertising if the potential added sales aren't worth it.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 02:10 PM

I just found this page on the Apple site promoting other Motorola phones with iTunes:

Apple - iTunes for your Mobile Phone

Looks like it is pretty old given the error messages and that they are promoting a RAZR - a phone that has been out for a long time.
27" iMac C2D

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 02:15 PM

Not much has happened since the introduction of software 1.1.1.

Although of FOUR technology topics on the front page of Spiegel Online (mainstream news site) this morning, THREE mentioned the iPhone in the headline (though only one was directly iPhone-related).

So why should Apple or AT&T do any talking/advertising, if the mainstream media is doing all their work for them?

Also, what exactly are you asking?

Whether Apple and AT&T have stopped caring about the iPhone?
Sure. To the point one can stop caring about a product that's selling two or three million units a month, in a market just freshly entered from zero three months ago.

They're busy, I can assure you.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2007, 03:44 PM

The iPhone dropping off?
I saw a commercial last night for the iPhone, I still have many friends, classmates, etc. ask me about my phone and how they would buy one if they were not in a contract.

The relationship probably is not a match made in heaven, since Apple gets money from iPhone sales, contract deals, and through iTunes songs/ring tones, and how much does AT&T get? Not much. Also, about the iPhone page on the AT&T website. It has been like this since the beginning; AT&T only took screen shots of Apple's website it seems and just threw them up there. Any more information and you are directed to Apple's website or to "Where to find an AT&T store with an iPhone."

The initial "hype" is over so now it is down to the nit & grit of selling the phones like any other company, plus Apple has other projects in which they need to put more effort towards at this point and maybe lay back and just ride with the iPhone.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2007, 04:33 PM

Apple doesn't need to run commercials or print ads nearly as much as they did the days leading up to launch, and the few weeks after. The iPhone is on the minds of almost everyone within the target market. The ad campaign worked. And running ads is not cheap. I would much rather Apple spend money on future iPhone development at this point.

AT&T was never good ad advertising the iPhone. They didn't even really try, aside from printing a few graphics to stick in their stores. Apple did all of the leg work there, and thankfully so. Apple is much better at advertising than AT&T.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2007, 02:32 PM

Funny...watching Football today (Sunday) and there have been Apple ads running all game.
Seems to be the "personal" ads where regular people talk about how the iPhone has changed their life.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2007, 05:40 PM

Yep, I saw same ads. And there's still the iPhone link on the bottom left corner of AT&T's main page.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

donutogre
Oct 7, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Earth Mk. II View Post
If it's not being promoted, it's probably because it doesn't need promotion.

Apple's not going to waste money on advertising if the potential added sales aren't worth it.
in the marketing world, that is 100% incorrect. according to your logic, we wouldn't see ads for products like coke and, ahem, THE IPOD anymore, because everyone knows what they are.

when a product has proven to be successful, you keep up the marketing.

that isn't to say that the iphone is failing because some anecdotally aren't seeing ads anymore.
~nate

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 08:45 AM

I guess all it took for Apple to release new ads was me mentioning that I havent seen any ads lately :-D
27" iMac C2D

chriswithpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I guess all it took for Apple to release new ads was me mentioning that I havent seen any ads lately :-D
MacNN link to new ads:
Apple airs three new iPhone commercials

AngelaBaby
Oct 9, 2007, 11:28 AM

TV Commercials = Money

Word of mouth = Free

chriswithpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by AngelaBaby View Post
TV Commercials = Money
Word of mouth = Free
TV Commercials = Advertising for the non-tech-savvy or those not surrounded by folks like us. For the kind of people that don't surf around Digg, Engadget, or any of the yuppy (and useful) tech sites online.
Chris McCorkle • Happy iPhone Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules