Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Is Bootcamp still possible in Tiger?

Is Bootcamp still possible in Tiger?
silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2008, 02:45 PM

Title says it all, is it still possible to run bootcamp on a Macbook running tiger?

If so, where do I get it if it is not already downloaded?

Thanks.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2008, 03:18 PM

No.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
No.
Eh, you can. You just have to turn the clock back in order to use it.

Boot Camp Beta: Removing a Windows partition after Boot Camp Beta has expired in Mac OS X 10.4
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2008, 05:41 PM

VersionTracker or similar sites have it, and as 64stang06 said, you just need to roll your clock back to use it.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2008, 08:25 PM

Here's the issue that comes to my mind: What do you mean by "still run Boot Camp." Once the drive is partitioned and Windows is installed, and you install the drivers the come with Boot Camp, Boot Camp is out of the picture-it's a utility, not an emulator.

Now if the question was "will my Windows installation, handled through Boot Camp, still boot and run?" then the answer is 100% YES. If instead the question was "can I use the Boot Camp utility to create or delete a Windows partition?" then the answer is NOT unless you fool it into thinking that it's before the expiration of the beta. Note the link in 64stang06's post if you want to just remove a Windows partition in Tiger. I have ethical issues in both directions about using the beta now that it is no longer licensed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Here's the issue that comes to my mind: What do you mean by "still run Boot Camp." Once the drive is partitioned and Windows is installed, and you install the drivers the come with Boot Camp, Boot Camp is out of the picture-it's a utility, not an emulator.

Now if the question was "will my Windows installation, handled through Boot Camp, still boot and run?" then the answer is 100% YES. If instead the question was "can I use the Boot Camp utility to create or delete a Windows partition?" then the answer is NOT unless you fool it into thinking that it's before the expiration of the beta. Note the link in 64stang06's post if you want to just remove a Windows partition in Tiger. I have ethical issues in both directions about using the beta now that it is no longer licensed.
That's what everyone else was saying without being rudely technical...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
No.
By NO, he means YES.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003 View Post
That's what everyone else was saying without being rudely technical...
I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you're talking about the fact that I didn't know which direction the OP meant his question, then how was I rude? And this is a "technical forum," so how would being technical be rude? I'm confused.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2008, 05:56 PM

"Once the drive is partitioned and Windows is installed, and you install the drivers the come with Boot Camp, Boot Camp is out of the picture-it's a utility, not an emulator."

I think you know what he meant by Boot Camp... It's a yes or no question...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003 View Post
"Once the drive is partitioned and Windows is installed, and you install the drivers the come with Boot Camp, Boot Camp is out of the picture-it's a utility, not an emulator."

I think you know what he meant by Boot Camp... It's a yes or no question...
With the number of people posting here who state that they think BC IS an emulator, NO, I don't assume such posters mean one thing or the other-thus my question...

And it's NOT a "yes or no question." The OP's question was "Is Bootcamp still possible in Tiger?" This leaves just about every potential interpretation of "possible" open. I gave up trying to read minds a long time ago because I was so bad at it. I ask when I don't have absolutely clear data to work on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules