Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Matte vs. Glossy

View Poll Results: Matte or Glossy Display
Poll Options:
Matte 18 votes (58.06%)
Glossy 13 votes (41.94%)
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll
Matte vs. Glossy
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 08:38 PM

Simple question - if you had the option to choose, would you prefer a matte or a glossy display on your Mac laptop?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Railroader
Banned
Oct 15, 2008, 09:15 PM

Glossy works for me. I do primarily semi-pro photography work with my Mac.
( Last edited by Railroader; Oct 15, 2008 at 11:42 PM. )

headhog70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2008, 09:46 PM

Matte for me. I will not buy a glossy screen.

If Apple does not sell a matte screen notebook, I'll have to switch to PCs.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2008, 09:52 PM

Glossy. If Apple is not going to offer both, then glossy is best.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2008, 10:36 PM

I have no preference. However, I think it's easier matting a glossy screen than making a matte screen glossy.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

BigWheel88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2008, 10:53 PM

I thought I would hate a glossy screen after using a powerbook with matte for so long. but it doesn't really bother me and i never really notice any major glare/reflection with my macbook. only thing is that when it is clean it looks beautiful but if the screen gets slightly dirty it looks horrible. where with the matte screen I could deal with a dirty screen a bit longer.

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 12:59 AM

I have a Black MacBook with Glossy screen and 24" White iMac with matte. Tho I prefer the matte I could probably live with a glossy iMac by just re-arranging my desk to minimize reflections. But with a notebook the reflections and glare are harder to avoid because you're constantly moving from location to location. Hopefully some 3rd party will come up with an anti-glare solution similar to what's available for the iPhone and iPod touch.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 01:24 AM

Polling is irrelevant. We already know consumers like glossy, that is why Apple makes 'em. A righteous poll (not available here, the sample is inadequate) of consumers will show heavy weighting of glossy.

My beef with lack of matte display choices is as regards mobile graphics pros. For our small-but-important market segment the matte display issue is huge.

-Allen Wicks

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2008, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Polling is irrelevant. We already know consumers like glossy, that is why Apple makes 'em. A righteous poll (not available here, the sample is inadequate) of consumers will show heavy weighting of glossy.

My beef with lack of matte display choices is as regards mobile graphics pros. For our small-but-important market segment the matte display issue is huge.

-Allen Wicks
Very relevant comments, but it's always been my impression that the MacBook was Apple's laptop aimed at consumers, whereas the MacBook Pro is Apple's laptop aimed at professionals. I personally am not a mobile graphics pro, but I simply prefer matte displays. If there are any more authoritative polls available regarding customer preference on matte vs. glossy, I'd be very interested to see them.

This poll was not intended to provide the views of the consumer base at large, but instead for interest to see the general opinions of MacNNers overall, as there have been very strong arguments for and against both types of displays in other threads.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

OreoCookie
Oct 16, 2008, 04:36 AM

I find it a bit disconcerting that anyone who wants a glossy display is automatically presumed to be a consumer. I actually don't care whether my display is glossy or matte (this choice is missing in the poll!), I care about the gamut, brightness, contrast and (with notebook screens) also whether it's a 6-bit or an 8-bit panel.

Most people I've talked to (and yes, they use their Macs professionally, too) who switched from matte to glossy displays have gotten used to it rather quickly. Glare was a much more serious problems with CRTs, because you have had a much harder time to see the picture (the surface of CRTs is covered with the same material as the new Apple displays, glass). Professional color-accurate CRTs came with blinds to prevent just that.

I think part of the professional market will get used to glossy displays just like `the consumers.' Besides, third-party manufacturers will start to make matte films for Apple displays.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules