Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Key Combo to move focus to Sidebar?

Key Combo to move focus to Sidebar?
apostacy
Nov 15, 2008, 01:48 PM

Anyone know if there's a key combination to move focus to the sidebar in the Finder's window--so you can move up and down the sidebar with the arrow keys?
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 10:20 PM

I hate to say it but I cannot figure it out. Looking in System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts shows some commands that don't seem to do much at all.

Command + Option + ` says it "Moves focus to the drawer", but the Finder doesn't have a "drawer" in the regular sense, rather it has the drawer's replacement, a sidebar. You'd think that command would move the focus there.

Pressing Tab just selects the next icon for some stupid reason.

^F5 moves the focus to the Search box which would make you think you could then press Tab to tab to the next area. In iTunes, Tab does this. Selects the Search box, followed by the Playlist followed by the Sidebar. You'd think Apple would have been smart and caught this. I am thinking it's a bug and oversight. I mean Mail acts the same way. Search Box > Message List > Sidebar. Finder.. well let's hope Snow Leopard's new Finder fixes it. Seems like a silly bug. And a GUI consistancy overlook. BTW, iCal seems to act completely differenty in this case. Tab moves from Search to the Sidebar, but then it makes the selected item editable, then tabs into the calendar from one event to another. Such a strange behavior.

Forum Links
Forum Rules