Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard: Spotlight refuses to stop indexing Time Machine drive

Snow Leopard: Spotlight refuses to stop indexing Time Machine drive
P
Feb 3, 2010, 09:35 AM

I recently moved my desk and the entire computer setup in my office. This meant that I unplugged everything and plugged it back in in the new spot. The drive used for Time Machine backups is now in a different port on the USB hub, and as a result, Spotlight thinks that it's a great idea to index the backup drive. All. The. Time. While that doesn't hurt performance the way it did on the G5 (I truly can't notice if I have music on), it's annoying that the drive never spins down.

I tried adding the drive to the privacy settings - no difference (it was already in there by the way). I tried adding the backup directory to the privacy settings - error message about the list being corrupt. I deleted the settings file for that drive and tried again - no difference.

So: How do I fix this? Is there some more settings file to delete? Some different trick for disabling indexing of one drive?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2010, 12:59 PM

Any error messages in system.log emanating from processes such as mds, mdworker or mdimport (etc)?

BTW, i think Time Machine and Spotlight have some relationship whereby —even if we try to use privacy settings (or mdutil) to prevent indexing —it will still index the Backups.backupd directory.

How about repairing the backup drive with Disk Utility? [and/or DiskWarrior]
Else (obviously) erase it and start your backups from scratch.
-HI-

P  (op)
Feb 3, 2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Any error messages in system.log emanating from processes such as mds, mdworker or mdimport (etc)?
Good point. mdworker says "Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in doictionary" a lot, but it doesn't say which plist file it's referring to. So some plist-file is broken? Fine, I'll delete it and fix it that way, but which file?

BTW, i think Time Machine and Spotlight have some relationship whereby —even if we try to use privacy settings (or mdutil) to prevent indexing —it will still index the Backups.backupd directory.
No problem, but it never finishes indexing - it just sits there saying 3 hours left.

How about repairing the backup drive with Disk Utility? [and/or DiskWarrior]
I checked it yesterday, and it was just fine. Checked it again now, and it says "invalid Node structure". Whoops. Nuked it and redoing backups now, but I don't like this. The HD is almost brand new, and it developed a directory fault already? Not good.

Else (obviously) erase it and start your backups from scratch.
I am doing that now, as you can see above.

Funny thing is, these are all things I usually advice people to do. For some reason I was looking for a silver bullet when it came to my own problem. Thanks for getting me to think, Hal.
( Last edited by P; Feb 3, 2010 at 01:42 PM. )
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2010, 06:07 PM

Ha det bra.
-HI-

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2010, 06:23 PM

Ha det bra.
For some reason, this made me laugh.

Simon