Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > purchasing Lion--authorized computers

purchasing Lion--authorized computers
canadave
Jul 8, 2011, 07:45 AM

Hi all, quick question here--

I live in Canada and I have two Macs in my house. When I purchase Lion when it comes out, my understanding is that I can install it on both my computers at home, because they are both authorized under my AppleID. All well and good so far.

My mother, who owns a Macbook, lives in the USA. Could I theoretically set up my mother's Macbook as my third "authorized computer", if I gave her my AppleID, and thus let her download and install Lion without her having to buy it? She has her own AppleID. I'm not sure whether that plan would work, or if so, how it would work afterwards in terms of her further purchases using her own AppleID on her computer.

Can someone clarify this possibility? Thanks
( Last edited by canadave; Jul 8, 2011 at 08:22 AM. )

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2011, 09:47 PM

While we do not have the legal language thus far, everything so far has said "for your personal use". Since you are clearly not going to be regularly using your mother's computer this does not seem to fit that category.

And really, $29 is really too much to pay?

canadave  (op)
Jul 8, 2011, 11:03 PM

Thanks for your contribution

Anyone else want to take a stab at actually answering the question of whether it would work?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2011, 12:16 AM

I think it would work. But like larkost, I appreciate OS X and the work Apple puts into it. $29.99 is a steal of a price. Pay twice, for you and your Mother.

Forum Links
Forum Rules