Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo rotating problem with Preview and KStudio Resize

Photo rotating problem with Preview and KStudio Resize
yohei72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2011, 02:54 PM

Hi, all.

Background: Took a 2-week vacation to Hong Kong in November, came back with roughly 1500 photos on my new (first-ever) digital camera. Putting together a blog about my trip (via Blogger) to share pics and notes/comments with friends, family and whoever. I have to shrink the photo files because they're between 1 and 3 MB each, which I found unmanageable in such large numbers for organizing, editing, and posting (someone just told me the file size is a camera setting I needed to change before taking the pics... oh, well).

Problem: A couple days ago I downloaded KStudio's "Resize!" software, which is easy and quick to use. But I find that in the new folder it creates with the shrunken photos, I can't save rotations anymore. I.e., I open a photo in Preview that I took with the camera held vertically, rotate it, close it, get the "do you want to save changes?" popup, click "yes"... and the photo is still on its side the next time I open it or upload it to Blogger. Blogger itself seems to have no photo rotation function, weirdly. I have lots of such pics, of course - there's no shortage of tall stuff in HK - so this won't do.

As a contrasting example, when I open the big photo files from the original folder, Preview seems to automatically know which ones to rotate!

Am I overlooking something or doing it wrong? Or is this just a really stupid bug in Resize or Preview? Any thoughts on solutions? Thanks, everyone.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2011, 03:14 PM

Just use iPhoto to batch-resize your photos when you export them. Why use some unknown software when iPhoto will do this easily for you?
http://www.splashofstyle.com/archive...t-photo-files/

yohei72  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the recommendation and information, Wiskedjak. Though I'm afraid after an hour or so of mucking about with iPhoto export/resize, creating a second folder on my desktop with the smaller files, the results are disappointing, and I think I've discovered why... I have iPhoto 1.1.1. I have a fairly old Mac Mini and have never touched iPhoto before.

So this version doesn't give the option to select JPEG Quality when exporting, and seems to default to "poor" (you could cut off a table leg with the sawtooth along the edges of objects).

Furthermore, the iPhoto window freezes after export and can only be closed with a Force Quit, and then takes two attempts to reopen, getting stuck in "Not Responding" status the first time - not sure what's going on there. But my Mac Mini has been running agonizingly slowly for quite a while now, for reasons I don't understand - not sure if that's related.

Just checked the Apple store and upgrading to the latest iPhoto doesn't seem to be an option at the moment, as I'd have to upgrade my whole OS before I could download the new app (I'm on OS 10.4.11).

Ugh, I had no idea this would be such a headache. Putting up and captioning photos is a lot of fun, but I can't even get to the starting point.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2011, 05:41 PM

If you have an Intel Mini, try Google Picasa.

yohei72  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2011, 12:37 AM

No Intel Mini, I'm afraid, though thanks for the suggestion. PowerPC G4, running Mac OS 10.4.11. It's looking more and more like the tools just aren't available for my Mac and my OS to do what I want at the level I want.

yohei72  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2011, 08:43 PM

For anyone who's curious... I figured out that Resize leaves the photos in the same orientation they have in iPhoto - so I just have to go through iPhoto and make sure each pic is the right way up before running them through Resize. Tedious and labor-intensive, given how slowly my iPhoto is running, but simple enough and seems to be working so far.

Sure would be easier if Blogger had a basic rotate-image function. Dumb.

Forum Links
Forum Rules