Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Selling my Powerbook for an iBook

Selling my Powerbook for an iBook
Ricci Adams
Oct 21, 2002, 11:51 PM

Hello everybody,

Recently, I have been thinking about selling my first generation TiBook (400Mhz, 10GB hard drive, 384MB RAM) for an 14" iBook (700Mhz, 40GB hard drive, 640MB RAM). This was mostly influenced by two things: 1) Apple's free upgrade to 640MB RAM with the recent RAM promotions 2) The fact that the iBook can run Quartz Extreme.

The only problem is, I do not want to buy an iBook if new ones are coming out in a few weeks. Some of my friends say that since the iBook hasn't been updated since 5/2002, it should be updated very very soon.

I will be using the iBook mostly for taking notes during class and for casual programming. My Dual 1GHz Powermac and my 450Mhz G4 Cube are my main programming machines, the iBook is basically just for classes. The reason I want the 14" iBook is because the screen isn't really *that* much smaller than my current TiPB, and it is said to be more durable than the TiPB.

Could I please have some opinions on this?

Thanks!
Ricci Adams

(Note: I just got my wisdom teeth yanked and I am on medication, so my English may not be the best right now)

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Oct 22, 2002, 01:03 AM

i would say get the 12" ibook. the extra dimentions of the 14" dont add resolution or any sort of usability, it simply makes the machine more bulky. also, its seems like a hack job, they just added empty space to take up the extra size of the screen. anyhow, thats my oppinion.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Matt Brinkhoff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2002, 05:19 PM

Any luck selling your PBG4? I'm in a similar situation with my 1st-gen PBG4 400MHz. (Wanting to sell/trade it for a Radeon iBook, that is.)

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 05:33 PM

You enjoying that iBook, Ricci?
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2002, 09:11 PM

I dont reccomend the 14" iBook. It has the same resolution, and is bulkier. I have a 12" and I love it. How much are you looking to sell your PB for? Just wondering...
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2002, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by Ricci Adams:
(Note: I just got my wisdom teeth yanked and I am on medication, so my English may not be the best right now)
Oh, you poor sucker. I remeber when I had to get mine out and it took em 4 hours to break the bastards out of my jaw. I was on pain killers for a week and had a numb tongue (due to too much pressure applied to the nerve) for two months. Ever since, I know what agony means.

Back to the topic: Keep the working PowerBook until Apple releases new iBooks. That should be no later than January. Then go to your local dealer and take a look at the new models. If you like them, get one. If you don't, but you like your PowerBook, stick with it, if not... well, you're screwed.

Honestly, getting a new Mac is great. Getting a new portable Mac can be even better. Looking at the present iBooks, I wouldn't go for the 14" model. You don't get more pixels, just more weight and size.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2002, 10:14 AM

Another vote to keep your Ti book for now. You have a really nice laptop and can afford to wait till the next ibook comes down the line. Maximize your purchace and wait to get the ibook till the day it comes out.

I'd also favor the 12" ibook. The 14" is just.. well.. bigger, not better. The 14" looks goofy, it's looks like a big oaf because they just photo enlarged the case of the 12".

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2002, 03:05 PM

One more thought to consider; if Apple waits until January to upgrade the iBook, it will likely NOT boot in OS 9. If you like 9 and still have peripherals, etc. that require OS 9 booting, keep that in mind. I'd wait until at least late November though. Rumors have iBook upgrades coming soon.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2002, 01:28 AM

What's os9?

Honistly.. I don't get mad because any of the new PC hardware we get in at work dosn't have drivers for Windows 3.1 or 95... move on!

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Forum Links
Forum Rules