Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > headphones problem: left-side not heard

headphones problem: left-side not heard
apostacy
Feb 18, 2004, 01:26 AM

For some reason I am only getting sound out of one side of an old pair of headphones when plugged into my iBook. The headphones work fine on my iMac, and I just put in some new memory, so I thought maybe it was related to the memory. But there was still the same problem when I took the memory out.

Anyone hear of this problem before? I guess I need to talk to someone from the apple store tomorrow.
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 01:43 AM

I find that my old pair of headphones requires a little bit of "adjusting" when inserting it. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my iBook's sound-out jack or the headphone.

Also, try checking the System Preferences > Sound section and see if the sound out is using "center" instead of just left or right.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2004, 01:47 AM

Is the balance set to the center in the Sound prefpane?

apostacy  (op)
Feb 18, 2004, 02:41 AM

Yes, I checked the System Pref.s.

I took ginoledesma's advice and 'played' with the headphones jack and I just discovered that if I pull them out 1/4 of the way and fiddle with the jack they come in both ears.

I have to confess these headphone (earbuds, actually) have to be 15 years old. Could the jack design have changed over that time? But even if the design has changed slightly, it doesn't explain how they were working for several weeks only a few days ago.
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Cowz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2004, 12:31 PM

Headphone plugs, like yours, have two channels, left and right. If I remember correctly, since the plug goes in and is linear, the wires connect at different points on the jack like:

.........Plastic....Metal...Metal...Metal Tip
.......................Left.....Right...Ground
Cord----<###|====|====|>

The jack has a similar design that connects these contacts at just the right distance in. Therefore, if you plug isn't in all the way, is in too far or not making a good contact, you'll lose a channel of audio.

The only solution is either fiddle with it or perhaps clean the contacts.

Now that I've said all of this, I eagerly await you telling me that the headphones' wire or something is obviously faulty and that I am wrong.
( Last edited by Cowz; Feb 18, 2004 at 12:38 PM. )

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 05:21 PM

Have you tried using a different set of headphones? That would help determine if perhaps the iBook's jack was messed up...

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 04:36 AM

I would have to pull up the specs but does your ibook have the Video adapter out (mini VGA cable) or the A/V jack because if you have the A/V jack it is an issue with the headphone jack being too long and not making contact with the right part of the jack...that is one of the reasons the design was changed to the current style
iBook 14" G4 933, 640Meg, 60GB, BT, APX

castle3
Feb 26, 2004, 01:30 AM

dont know if this helps but i had a similar problem as well, I found that my balance on iTunes was off, check that and see if that maybe the prob. Just a suggestion.
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 05:10 PM

I had that my problem with my G3 iBook. After talking to Applecare tech support, the iBook was taken back. (I was one of those Logic Board Failure people.....I have been give a G4 iBook as a replacement).

Forum Links
Forum Rules