Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MacTheRipper

MacTheRipper
nickw311
Senior User
Jul 15, 2006, 11:03 AM

Everytime I try to rip one of my movies with MacTheRipper it tells me that the movie has bad sectors and then when I try to burn it with Toast it gives me a compression error. I also tried to use Handbrake to convert a Video_TS file into an MPEG but it doesn't recognize the main feature. This has happened on many movies, does anyone have any suggestions?
( Last edited by nickw311; Jul 15, 2006 at 11:10 AM. )
27" iMac C2D

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 03:18 PM

Your optical drive might be bad.

My MBP's drive fails 4/5 times I try to burn a CD-R at 24x. I'm calling Apple the moment I get back from Europe.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 05:50 AM

The physical media DVD could also be damaged, the computer can rip the DVD but it cannot do magic if it is badly scratched or damaged.

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 03:56 PM

I dont really think it is the optical drive, it will burn CDs and read everything. It rips most of the files off the DVD but always says there are bad sectors. I was able to watch some of the files but it was just like the features and extras, never the main feature. Also I don't think it is the disk because I have tried this multiple times with multiple disks...
27" iMac C2D

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 04:03 PM

I have trashed MacTheRipper and redownloaded and installed it and that didn't make any difference. Are there any other decent and free ripping programs that I could test out?
27" iMac C2D

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 04:40 PM

which movie is it?

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 04:43 PM

I tried The Big Lebowski about 3 times, Wedding Crashersonce , and tried Syriana twice
27" iMac C2D

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 07:39 PM

It might just be the copy protection in that movie.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
It might just be the copy protection in that movie.
I think it is... MacTheRipper has a new version, but it's in private beta for people that donate money to the project... so I'm guessing they aren't in any hurry to release it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 08:42 PM

When the bad sectors message pops up in MTR, assuming your disc is clean and free of scratches, it is usually from the copy protection. The protection schemes, especially the recent Sony releases, are getting pretty sophisticated. Mastering errors, including blocks that purport to be 13GB in size but have a time of 0:00, are purposefully stamped in to the disc when they're pressed to prevent copying.

MTR 3.0ß will help (and yes, you must donate to get it), but for some movies (i.e., those Sony titles), you'll need another app such as DVD2OneX (aka DTOX) to remove the bad blocks or else the copy will fail. DTOX also requires a payment to unlock the full program.

Guess you'll just have to cough up a few bucks if you want to copy movies. Otherwise, you should just pay for the discs like an honest citizen.

The MacTheRipper forums are a goldmine of information, by the way.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2006, 09:59 PM

The vast majority of optical drives use separate laser systems (and usually separate optical systems too) for CDs and for DVDs. It's extremely possible that the DVD reading laser has a problem that does not at all affect the CD laser. Really, that's a fairly common problem. Have the drive tested.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311
I tried The Big Lebowski about 3 times, Wedding Crashersonce , and tried Syriana twice
I was able to do it (MTR 2.6.6) with Syriana (Region 2 DVD) twice, main feature and full extraction.

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Jul 17, 2006, 08:57 AM

Well I got MTR 3b and I was able to do The Big Lebowski. It is possible that Syriana was scratched so I am going to try it again with 3 some time.
27" iMac C2D

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 08:33 PM

With MTR 3b, turn OFF pre-scan... it doesn't work on the most recent builds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules