Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I have a new car too!! (pix inside)

I have a new car too!! (pix inside) (Page 3)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 10:11 PM

Some cars shouldn't be modified though because it'd be like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. My problem with modding cars is that there is a small group of people in the world who do it very well. And then there is a larger group that likes what they saw the small group doing, and thus tries to do it, but buys all of the parts from Hong Kong via eBay motors and then kludges it onto their car. And then puts a tuner badge on it. When done right, modding is great. But most people don't take the time to do anything right. That's one reason why I don't like looking on the internet for help on what I do to my car... it always seems to involve taking shortcuts. But luckily a little Honda/Acura shop in town lets me go there for pretty much free and work as long as I bring my tools and they have room. And if I run into a roadblock, someone is there who knows what to do.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2010, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Why would you NOT want to mod a car? Oh, because you most likely bought a boring piece of shit that would never be cool no matter what you did. Got it.
So that's the Audi wagons taken care of. What about the other cars?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Rob ricing up his shitbox appears to show the distinct separation between US and Euro buying styles - something which I've been mulling over for a while. Here in Europe, we'll buy something and generally leave as is (exceptions, obviously). While in the US, you'll buy something then tinker with it endlessly (exceptions, obviously). Which is why there's no UK version of "Home Improvement".

This has appeared to impact the quality of product, with US companies almost expecting you to improve whatever it is they sell to you, thus leaving it almost part-finished. Sort of like a "they'll finish this at home to their own specs" sort of attitude.

Accurate? I'm just musing, don't know whether this thought holds true.
I think it's actually because the English people, as far as I have observed, have very little capacity for engineering. Hence the fact that German, American, and Indian companies have had to scoop up dying English car companies.

However, one must give credit where it is due--the English do make very innovative vacuum cleaners.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I think it's actually because the English people, as far as I have observed, have very little capacity for engineering.
Ummm. The English invented modern engineering.

Hence the fact that German, American, and Indian companies have had to scoop up dying English car companies.
Yer problem there is that the English aren't very good at controlling their labour unions and the monkeys on the production line always seem to think they're entitled to management-level wages. This, I believe, is due to the rotting corpse of Marx polluting the water table.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2010, 02:40 AM

It's polluting the water across the Atlantic nowadays, too.

Regarding the car, for God's sake it's a 15 year old Audi estate-wagon. If you want to impress us, buy a Lexus SUV and take pictures of a stripper washing it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2010, 04:01 AM

Yer problem there is that the English aren't very good at controlling their labour unions and the monkeys on the production line always seem to think they're entitled to management-level wages. This, I believe, is due to the rotting corpse of Marx polluting the water table.
If it were the labour unions' fault, why on earth would GERMAN companies have bought up many of the British assets at some point?

Or maybe the British are just even worse at unions than they are at engineering.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2010, 06:20 AM

Lets be fair here - the Brits invented modern engineering. Some of the most amazing trains, bridges and ships originated in Victorian England, a golden age that really ended only in the 1950's when the unions destroyed much of British industry.

What happened to the ports of London and Liverpool is nothing short of a crime, what the German Luftwaffe had started was finished by the labour movement. Idiocy on a scale that is hard to fathom.

I think Rob's problem is that he defines himself, and his coolness, through external things - a common issue with the young and immature*. If you're really cool you can drive any old econo-box and still be the king of the hill.

*Kidding Rob, just kidding.

OreoCookie
Mar 25, 2010, 07:00 AM

… and then rested on their laurels.
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Lets be fair here - the Brits invented modern engineering. Some of the most amazing trains, bridges and ships originated in Victorian England, a golden age that really ended only in the 1950's when the unions destroyed much of British industry.
Germany has rather strong unions as well and German companies continue to put out competitive products (= Spheric's point). To only blame it on the unions is also a bit single-minded. Take Britain's railroad system: it's in worse shape compared to before the privatization of British rail began.

Companies and industries can only survive if you make competitive products.
What happened to the ports of London and Liverpool is nothing short of a crime, what the German Luftwaffe had started was finished by the labour movement. Idiocy on a scale that is hard to fathom.
Please don't go there and liken German air raids to the political activity of unions.

And even if you take the destruction of WW2 into account, many of Germany's key industrial centers lay in ashes as well.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2010, 08:10 AM

British unions were/are nothing like German unions, at least not in my observations.

Whereas in Germany there has almost always been an understanding that there is a common good and a common goal, British unions got tangled up in what I can only describe as class warfare. I am no fan of Thatcher, but the fact that she was elected shows just how fed up the country was with power outages and entire industries ruined. Ruined to such a degree that the comparison to war damage does make sense.

Of course the pendulum then started to swing way too far over to the right, as your comment about British Rail correctly highlights. The UK moved from being held hostage by the left to being held hostage by an atmosphere of "me first".

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 25, 2010, 09:17 AM

I think Rob's problem is that he defines himself, and his coolness, through external things - a common issue with the young and immature*. If you're really cool you can drive any old econo-box and still be the king of the hill.
Luckily, I got over the "I am my car" mentality. I drive a Mercury Sable.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 25, 2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't even seen many people in the middle class do this kind of stuff either.
But spend some time in places like Mexico, on Indian Reservations, in Curaçao, etc. and it's hard NOT to find a modified car.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2010, 09:25 AM

Don't forget the Amish. Not kidding.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 09:36 AM

[sic]

andi*pandi
Mar 25, 2010, 09:57 AM

that poor horse.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 10:04 AM

Why would you NOT want to mod a car? Oh, because you most likely bought a boring piece of shit that would never be cool no matter what you did. Got it.
Someday you'll reach a point where you understand the wisdom in keeping your normal car and your "modded" car separate.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2010, 10:06 AM

Yeah, how is your wife doing these days, anyway?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If it were the labour unions' fault, why on earth would GERMAN companies have bought up many of the British assets at some point?
Thing is, there's a major difference in mentality between the two nations. Going with the stereotypes (and why not - they have some basis else they wouldn't exist), you boys are way more ...ummm... accurate than we are. It's in your nature. And it's probably down to thought patterns being dictated by the language you think in. How else does one explain the word "Doppelkupplung"?
This translates into your work - you take pride in what you do. It's only German to do so. Whereas most Brits are of the "that'll do" mentality. Inventive, sure, but try acquiring a workforce to turn that invention into a sustainable business.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, how is your wife doing these days, anyway?
She's okay with the fact that I spent $900+ on motorcycle parts/tools last month, so okay, I guess.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Some cars shouldn't be modified though because it'd be like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. My problem with modding cars is that there is a small group of people in the world who do it very well. And then there is a larger group that likes what they saw the small group doing, and thus tries to do it, but buys all of the parts from Hong Kong via eBay motors and then kludges it onto their car. And then puts a tuner badge on it. When done right, modding is great. But most people don't take the time to do anything right. That's one reason why I don't like looking on the internet for help on what I do to my car... it always seems to involve taking shortcuts. But luckily a little Honda/Acura shop in town lets me go there for pretty much free and work as long as I bring my tools and they have room. And if I run into a roadblock, someone is there who knows what to do.
There's a huge difference between adding a spoiler or a bodykit, and changing out your wheels for some bigger ones, adding bigger brakes, bigger turbos, etc. Cosmetic mods are for the most part, totally ghey.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 11:44 AM

I don't care if they invented it, they are awful at it. The electrical systems are horrid, the mechanisms are stupid (side draft carbs wtf), and the biggest problem: They hate CHANGE AND PROGRESS. This is why English cars in the 50s,60s, and 70s looked about 20 years behind everything else.

"Yes Chap, let's keep putting our headlights in chrome buckets, and attach them to the fenders! Very well!"

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 11:46 AM

It's polluting the water across the Atlantic nowadays, too.

Regarding the car, for God's sake it's a 15 year old Audi estate-wagon. If you want to impress us, buy a Lexus SUV and take pictures of a stripper washing it.
Right, because only brand new things that are slow and handle like shit are cool. I forget that the "masses" are incredibly dumb. Thank you for reminding me.

BTW, get out of the left lane.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 11:51 AM

1. I used to drive an econobox. I drove an 89 Accord LX with 200k+ miles for quite a while. It was fine, and I liked blending in so I could get away with speeding more.

2. My wagon still blends in. Hence why I bought it. It isn't attracting much attention, but I do think it is pretty cool. It's just very very subtle cool.

3. But.. it is just a car. If it gets smashed, that will be bad, but ever since last year I really just don't give a shit about anything. Nothing matters, so **** it all. I am just having fun.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 11:52 AM

There's a huge difference between adding a spoiler or a bodykit, and changing out your wheels for some bigger ones, adding bigger brakes, bigger turbos, etc. Cosmetic mods are for the most part, totally ghey.
Isn't adding bigger wheels a cosmetic "mod"? Especially if you rattle-can paint them? And doesn't increasing your rotational inertia hurt performance?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2010, 11:52 AM

You might know how to work on cars, but apparently the multi-quote function is well beyond your grasp.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Luckily, I got over the "I am my car" mentality. I drive a Mercury Sable.
Says the guy who posts pictures of his motorcycle all the time, and has his motorcycle for his signature image. You got over the "having a cool car" mentality by defining yourself through your motorcycle; it's really no different at all other than you're much more likely to die.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 11:56 AM

Someday you'll reach a point where you understand the wisdom in keeping your normal car and your "modded" car separate.
My prelude is totally stock, except for a Sony CD player, some new speakers (the old ones rotted out), and some 15" GSR wheels with Dunlop Direzzas. When the exhaust rusted out I replaced it with a stainless Thermal system, purely because I like stainless exhausts on all my cars. Other than that it's bone stock, and I plan on keeping it that way.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 11:58 AM

Isn't adding bigger wheels a cosmetic "mod"? Especially if you rattle-can paint them? And doesn't increasing your rotational inertia hurt performance?
No, its a trade off. Yeah, increases mass... but also shorter sidewalls, for better response, and also to allow bigger brakes. I bought a set of caliper brackets that will allow me to run A8 rotors with either Boxster or 911 calipers, it's a fairly common mod for these cars, but the downside is you cannot run the stock wheels anymore.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:01 PM

My prelude is totally stock, except for a Sony CD player, some new speakers (the old ones rotted out), and some 15" GSR wheels with Dunlop Direzzas. When the exhaust rusted out I replaced it with a stainless Thermal system, purely because I like stainless exhausts on all my cars. Other than that it's bone stock, and I plan on keeping it that way.
"It's bone stock except for the rims, stereo, and exhaust."

Uh huh.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:02 PM

Says the guy who posts pictures of his motorcycle all the time, and has his motorcycle for his signature image. You got over the "having a cool car" mentality by defining yourself through your motorcycle; it's really no different at all other than you're much more likely to die.
"All the time"? Really? Coming from the guy that posts pictures of his 20 year old station wagon "all the time"?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:02 PM

No, its a trade off. Yeah, increases mass... but also shorter sidewalls, for better response, and also to allow bigger brakes. I bought a set of caliper brackets that will allow me to run A8 rotors with either Boxster or 911 calipers, it's a fairly common mod for these cars, but the downside is you cannot run the stock wheels anymore.
You didn't address the "rattle can" section.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You might know how to work on cars, but apparently the multi-quote function is well beyond your grasp.
It's hard.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:06 PM

I really just don't give a shit about anything. Nothing matters, so **** it all.
Which explains your penchant for vehement internet arguments.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2010, 12:18 PM

I don't care if they invented it, they are awful at it. The electrical systems are horrid, the mechanisms are stupid (side draft carbs wtf), and the biggest problem: They hate CHANGE AND PROGRESS. This is why English cars in the 50s,60s, and 70s looked about 20 years behind everything else.

^ I used to own one of those.

Oh, and here's an English car from the '70s.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:19 PM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:23 PM

Notice the years he said?

Also, none of those cars today would be around (except maybe the Noble, but I don't think so) without the intervention of foreign automakers/investors.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2010, 12:26 PM

Yeah, that '76 Esprit sure looks like it's from '56.

Am I the only one noticing the irony in someone posting a pic of his nearly 20-year-old car then moaning about cars which look 20 years old?

Also, none of those cars today would be around (except maybe the Noble, but I don't think so) without the intervention of foreign automakers/investors.
Like I said, that's more down to workforce problems rather than engineering inventiveness.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:28 PM

Is there a single car mass-produced today with all parts sourced domestically (wherever "domestic" is)?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:32 PM

Like I said, that's more down to workforce problems rather than engineering inventiveness.
True. It doesn't help that nearly everyone went on strike in the UK daily in the 60's and 70's.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:34 PM

Is there a single car mass-produced today with all parts sourced domestically (wherever "domestic" is)?
I meant mainly financially. BMW had to step in with McLaren (and then Merc), Toyota and VW with Lotus, Very Rich Russian with TVR, BMW with Morgan, VW with Bentley, Ford with Aston. In fact, if it weren't for Volvo, I don't think the Aston Martin lineup could exist today.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 12:35 PM

"It's bone stock except for the rims, stereo, and exhaust."

Uh huh.
Yep. After 21 years the speakers, stereo, and exhaust were shot. What do you want me to do, replace them with overpriced stock crap when I can get higher quality parts for cheaper? The wheels I just think look better than the factory sawblades, then I can run super stickes on the stock wheels for autox, and street tires on the GSRs.
( Last edited by downinflames68; Mar 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2010, 12:36 PM

The wheels I just think look better than the factory sawblades.
Ah, so the wheels are cosmetic mods.
Cosmetic mods are for the most part, totally ghey.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 12:38 PM

"All the time"? Really? Coming from the guy that posts pictures of his 20 year old station wagon "all the time"?
I have this thread. You post random pictures of your bike when it's cold outside.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:40 PM

Yep. After 21 years the speakers, stereo, and exhaust were shot. What do you want me to do, replace them with overpriced stock crap when I can get higher quality parts for cheaper? The wheels I just think look better than the factory sawblades.
And I put a park bench spoiler on my car because I think it looks better than the factory spoiler.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 12:40 PM

I have this thread. You post random pictures of your bike when it's cold outside.
Plural?

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 12:41 PM

You didn't address the "rattle can" section.
I got a powdercoating guy.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 12:44 PM

^ I used to own one of those.

Oh, and here's an English car from the '70s.
Neat, you posted all supercars. Now post something normal people actually drive. PS: The TVRs are butt ugly.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2010, 12:45 PM

Thank you Laminar, for changing your sig for me. Not only did you create one for me, you changed yours. I'm glad my opinion matters to you so much.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2010, 12:53 PM

Neat, you posted all supercars. Now post something normal people actually drive.

There ya go.

The TVRs are butt ugly.
There's only one TVR there.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 01:57 PM

Thank you Laminar, for changing your sig for me. Not only did you create one for me, you changed yours. I'm glad my opinion matters to you so much.
I live to please you.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2010, 01:58 PM

I got a powdercoating guy.
Going to paint them with soft touch dark grey paint
You need to stop pretending that you live by all of these badass principles that you clearly don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules