Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 28)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2012, 02:24 PM

With the fast drop-off of interest MW3 has had, I'm going to say that the CoD franchise is dead to me after I'm though with MW3.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2012, 01:33 AM

I don't know. I might buy MW4. I just don't want to buy every CoD, and be playing CoD all year round. I want some variety! I'm not too sure I'm going to extend my premium elite, though.

But then I haven't played as many CoD games as you guys. I only started with MW2 and didn't play Black Ops.
( Last edited by Leonard; Feb 19, 2012 at 01:44 AM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2012, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I don't know. I might buy MW4. I just don't want to buy every CoD, and be playing CoD all year round. I want some variety! I'm not too sure I'm going to extend my premium elite, though.
When you signed up for Elite, did you supply any credit card info?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
When you signed up for Elite, did you supply any credit card info?
I got the 1 year of Elite with the Hardened Edition, so I just had to use the code from there. I didn't buy it separately.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Is anyone here actually going to buy Black Ops 2?
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
With the fast drop-off of interest MW3 has had, I'm going to say that the CoD franchise is dead to me after I'm though with MW3.
I didn't want to get the first, would have been content to keep playing MW2, but noooooooooo.

Two years later and I know the gun will be put to my head again in the fall, because, even if I get everyone playing BF3, they'll be like "But this is new!" Tards.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 11:21 AM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2012, 04:50 PM

Will Borderlands 2 be the game that brings the MacNN clan back together? Because we all know it won't be Black Ops 2 or Halo 4.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
PSA: Call of Duty Elite Clan Operations deployed on Xbox 360 and PS3 | Joystiq
...it still took them a month after I stop playing.
Did you download the DLC drop for this month? I just did. I'll have to check what it was. It sounded like the Highrise map. Although it seemed to be called Overwatch.

I guess I'll have to pop into the Elite playlists to check it out. Ironically, I've been avoiding the Elite playlists as it seems the better players are the only ones there. There are no noobs or cannonfodder to beat up on.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2012, 11:51 AM

EA's next basketball sim is NBA Live 13 | Joystiq
Ha, two years off, a tarnished branding that has never actually seen the light of day and now they're back to square one. Hilarious.

Report: Medal of Honor: Warfighter is Danger Close's next game, hits in October [updated] | Joystiq
Your Not Call of Duty entry.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2012, 03:20 PM

This Probably Isn't What EA Sports Had in Mind for SSX
In my demo impressions I suggested that you lay off the stick because the physics lends itself (themselves?) to oversteer. Some dudes in Europe took that advice to the extreme and this what they got: You can finish a race without touching the controller.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2012, 11:35 AM

As always, the kinect is an awesome piece of technology... but not for gaming.
Microsoft demonstrates Kinect-enabled shopping cart | Joystiq
Employing a monitor, a motor and a Kinect sensor, the cart can recognize a membership card, pull up a customer's shopping list and scan objects as they are placed in the cart. What's more, the cart will dutifully follow a customer around the store.

As demonstrated in the video above, the cart can even identify user preferences -- in this case, warning Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg that he picked up the wrong type of spaghetti (apparently he's going gluten free). Best of all, the cart allows customers to immediately pay for their purchases using a stored account, thus negating the need to stand in the checkout line

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 29, 2012, 11:29 AM

HBO Go app coming to Xbox Live April 1 | Joystiq
If you're already subscribed...

Mojang acquires Minecraft mod makers, will make mods official | Joystiq
Loo writes on the official forms that the team will basically redesign the game's API, which means unofficial developers everywhere will be able to hook into the game's mechanics much more easily and smoothly.
Huge news.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 29, 2012, 02:59 PM

Alright, this killed me:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2012, 03:09 PM

Funny thing is this comic dropped a day after I had recovered from a simply catastrophic stomach bug.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Alright, this killed me:
Ha

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Funny thing is this comic dropped a day after I had recovered from a simply catastrophic stomach bug.
Eesh...sorry. Nice quick diet though, huh?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2012, 01:00 AM

Whoooooa, buddy!

Assassin's Creed III Main Character Leaked (IGN)

The image clearly features Native American influences, including a bow and arrow, headdress and necklace. The character is also wearing cowskin boots and holding what appears to be a Revolutionary pistol.

This seems to confirm popular rumors that the third installment of Assassin's Creed will be set in the American Revolution. For now, we're not sure, but earlier today Ubisoft confirmed that a major announcement will be coming on Monday.

I have more than enough games to hold me over until this one hits $30, but anyone with even a hint of history nerd blood flowing through their veins has to appreciate this setting, right?

This reminds me: I need to eventually finish AC II.

(Alternate non-IGN link for Dakar's sake)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2012, 09:53 AM

Holy crap.

P
Mar 1, 2012, 10:56 AM

Was AC II ever released without the insane DRM? What's the DRM on the Mac version - on this or any sequel, for that matter? I've stayed away from AC because of that bullshit, but I remember it getting great reviews.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2012, 01:16 PM

There we go, a proper title for the thread.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 2, 2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Mind Blown. Absolutely cannot wait for this.

I was hopeful ACIII wouldn't be modern day Desmond running around NY.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2012, 12:15 PM

Fable devs leave Lionhead to form Another Place | Joystiq
Wonder if this has anything to do with them being stuck doing an on-rails kinect title.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2012, 08:00 PM

Bioshock Infinite release date: October 16th

I still need to play the first 2 games.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Bioshock Infinite release date: October 16th

I still need to play the first 2 games.
Same here. 2 is actually still in shrink wrap.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 3, 2012, 09:51 AM

A Few screenshots leaked, Official trailer coming Monday 3/5

AC III - October 31st
Bioshock: Infinite - October 16th

Fantastic.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2012, 02:58 PM

Rumor: Will Valve enter the console race with Steam Box?

Valve Software is entering the console race by developing its own hardware platform, new rumors brought up early Saturday. The approach outlined by The Verge would have typical PC hardware with a Core i7, 8GB of RAM, and NVIDIA graphics, but it would serve as a fixed platform for three to four years. Developers would then target their games to the system, which as expected would use Steam as its primary way to get games.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2012, 05:34 AM

Mari0, the Mario Bros / Portal crossover, is available now. Its free and on Windows, Mac, Linux and also has the source code as a download - Stabyourself.net - Mari0

Edit: Not Tetris looks ok too. Olde Worlde Tetris, but with smooth movement, rotation and gravity physics - http://stabyourself.net/nottetris2/

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post

Fantastic.
Do they really have to stay with the white robe? He looks like he stands out way too much.

I'm not really going to complain though -- I'm still giddy about the setting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 5, 2012, 03:17 PM

Yeah, the robes are a very out of place, but who knows, maybe they'll have more appropriate variations to be unlocked in game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 5, 2012, 05:32 PM

Assassin's Creed 3 headed to Wii U, first trailer released | Joystiq
First official WiiU title?

EA Pulls Simpsons Game from iTunes Due to Overwhelming Popularity
But while Battlefield 3: Aftershock was plagued with crashes and connectivity issues, EA is pulling The Simpsons: Tapped Out for an entirely different issue.

Pocket Gamer reports that an anonymous gamer posted on EA's help forum to inquire about the game, but was met with a disappointing response from a representative:

To ensure current players have the best possible experience, we've temporarily removed The Simpsons: Tapped Out from the App Store to limit the game's server capacity to its current players and address connectivity and lag time issues.
EA pulled The Simpsons: Tapped Out because of its overwhelming popularity, which seems to be overloading their servers.
These guys can't do anything right.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2012, 03:35 AM

Halo 4 first look

What's up with Chief's armor?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 6, 2012, 11:29 AM

Oh. ****. Yes.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2012, 11:37 AM

Online co-op?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2012, 11:51 AM

Peter Molyneux leaves Microsoft, off on 'new independent venture' | Joystiq
Lionhead appears to be disintegrating. Not reassuring for those that see MS' first party-line as non-existant already.

Battlefield 3: Close Quarters announced for June, two more packs incoming | Joystiq
Battlefield 3: Close Quarters was announced at an EA event last night for this upcoming June, the first major paid piece of DLC for the game since last December's "Back to Karkand." The expansion includes four maps, 10 weapons and no vehicles -- it's about close quarters, after all.

There will be two more expansions for the game following the June expansion -- one called "Armored Kill," which will focus on weapons and larger maps, with new drivable vehicles. The second pack, entitled "End Game," which EA isn't sharing hardly any details on, does feature cover art with some crazy tripping lunatic holding a knife on it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2012, 12:02 PM

So this pack is basically MW3 DLC...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2012, 12:08 PM

I'm ok with this.

Also, am I the only person who doesn't like it when they add guns to the game?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2012, 12:13 PM

Finished Uncharted 3 last night. Since the majority of gamers here will never play the series, I'll share a few brief thoughts:

- Uncharted 2 was possibly better because it was fresher. It's still the same game: run, jump, climb, near-fall, climb, near-fall, jump, cover, shoot, run, cinematic, repeat. It's still fun, but it does feel like the gameplay itself is almost completely unchanged.
- Uncharted 3 has some of the most incredible levels I've ever seen in a game. The sinking cruise ship level is beyond description. There's a serious weight to it -- the water falling, shifting, and flooding everywhere feels perfect.
- There's a 20(ish)-minute desert level which I won't ruin for the one or two other PS3 gamers, but it went from confusing to tedious to stunning. It's unlike anything I've experienced in gaming.
- The graphics are incredible. The voice acting is top-notch. The story is very good (not great). Naughty Dog has a knack for creating incredible worlds.
- It's not deserving of the perfect 10 rating that IGN gave it, but it's definitely a 9.5 kind of title. I might never revisit the game due to all the other titles I've got to catch up on, but it's definitely one of my favorites.
- Lastly, UC3 made me even more excited for The Last of Us. It's not getting a ton of attention right now, but I'm sure it will be in everyone's GotY talks next winter.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2012, 12:47 PM

Spot on review of how I felt. I'm in the middle of Golden Abyss on the PS Vita currently. So far I am liking that one very much, however just picked up Unit 13 and I'm a little stuck right now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2012, 12:55 PM

Okay, then I have to ask...

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2012, 01:04 PM

Okay, then I have to ask...

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 8, 2012, 09:43 AM

- Lastly, UC3 made me even more excited for The Last of Us. It's not getting a ton of attention right now, but I'm sure it will be in everyone's GotY talks next winter.
This game looks good I saw a few screens, including a trailer, i'm hearing its set in post-apocalyptic Pittsburgh?

..do I have to buy a PS3?!
I guess this means there is 5 games I want to play on PS3

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2012, 12:20 PM

This game looks good I saw a few screens, including a trailer, i'm hearing its set in post-apocalyptic Pittsburgh?
Yep. Set in post-apocalyptic Pittsburgh, but instead of the concrete-heavy decayed setting, it's more of a "nature has taken back over" look with lots of green, lots of colors. Also, instead of having plentiful amounts of ammo, you have to use what you can find, as you can see in this screen:

More screens...

Pittsburgh:

In the latest Game Informer, they make it clear that it's not "post-apocalyptic ICO," where you have to lead her around by the hand and constantly worry what kind of crap she's getting into. She apparently is great at getting out of the thick of the action and providing assistance only when necessary.

..do I have to buy a PS3?!
I guess this means there is 5 games I want to play on PS3
Sorry, yeah...

In my opinion, the absolute must-have exclusives for PS3 are:

1. Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 - Every single one of these games are incredible, and it's become my favorite franchise in gaming.

2. Resistance 3 - Resistance 1 felt half a generation behind, and Resistance 2 had quite a few nagging issues, so that's probably what led to Resistance 3 being often overlooked, but it's one of the best shooters of the current gen, without a doubt. Great story, great setting, great gameplay. I say this often about PS3 titles, but it's a shame so many people are missing out on this one.

3. Infamous 1 and 2 - I might be alone in this, but these are the best superhero games I've ever played, and that includes Arkham Asylum. It's as if someone crossed GTA and Assassin's Creed, and gave the main character ever-increasing Emperor Palpatine powers. I'm currently (and sporadically) working my way back through 2, playing as evil Cole.

4. Killzone 3 - I don't think this is as good as the other titles I've mentioned, but the great thing about the Killzone series is that it's different. No other FPS feels and plays the way Killzone does, and that's a good thing.

5. Heavy Rain - I didn't finish it for personal reasons, but if you enjoy good stories, branching paths, and that film noir feel, this is a fantastic game.

There are other exclusives like LittleBigPlanet, God of War III, Demon's Souls, Twisted Metal, and Gran Turismo 5 that might float people's boats (I'm particularly fond of LBP), but the listed titles alone are enough to keep someone busy for months.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 8, 2012, 06:49 PM

In my opinion, the absolute must-have exclusives for PS3 are:

1. Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 - Every single one of these games are incredible, and it's become my favorite franchise in gaming.

2. Resistance 3 - Resistance 1 felt half a generation behind, and Resistance 2 had quite a few nagging issues, so that's probably what led to Resistance 3 being often overlooked, but it's one of the best shooters of the current gen, without a doubt. Great story, great setting, great gameplay. I say this often about PS3 titles, but it's a shame so many people are missing out on this one.

3. Infamous 1 and 2 - I might be alone in this, but these are the best superhero games I've ever played, and that includes Arkham Asylum. It's as if someone crossed GTA and Assassin's Creed, and gave the main character ever-increasing Emperor Palpatine powers. I'm currently (and sporadically) working my way back through 2, playing as evil Cole.

4. Killzone 3 - I don't think this is as good as the other titles I've mentioned, but the great thing about the Killzone series is that it's different. No other FPS feels and plays the way Killzone does, and that's a good thing.

5. Heavy Rain - I didn't finish it for personal reasons, but if you enjoy good stories, branching paths, and that film noir feel, this is a fantastic game.

There are other exclusives like LittleBigPlanet, God of War III, Demon's Souls, Twisted Metal, and Gran Turismo 5 that might float people's boats (I'm particularly fond of LBP), but the listed titles alone are enough to keep someone busy for months.
The 5 on my "want to play" list that almost makes me want to buy a PS3 (more like borrow one) are Uncharted 1-3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and The Last of Us.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2012, 01:02 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2012, 01:18 PM

The 5 on my "want to play" list that almost makes me want to buy a PS3 (more like borrow one) are Uncharted 1-3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and The Last of Us.
Man, if the possibility exists to simply borrow one, absolutely do it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 10, 2012, 08:29 PM

I started playing MGS4 but couldn't get into it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2012, 12:12 PM

That's because MGS4 kinda/sorta sucked.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2012, 12:38 PM

I enjoyed it quite a lot, but personally I like MGS: Peace Walker a lot better. It might be my favorite of the series behind Snake Eater.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2012, 01:42 PM

I checked out of the series after finishing MGS2. The nonsensical rambling finally got to me, despite the awesome gameplay.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 14, 2012, 03:42 AM

After playing through Splinter Cell: Conviction, I find other cover-based combat games like GTA and MGS clunky and irritating.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2012, 09:00 AM

GTA has always been clunky.

Forum Links
Forum Rules