Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Macromedia MX Icons are ugly!

Macromedia MX Icons are ugly!
Ricci Adams
Apr 29, 2002, 06:31 PM

At least I think so, which is why I made my own.

Any suggestions or comments?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 06:52 PM

Are these your's or the originals?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Ricci Adams  (op)
Apr 29, 2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
<STRONG>Are these your's or the originals?</STRONG>
These are mine. The original are somewhat 3d and have inverted colors. I think the Flash original is hard to read.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 08:11 PM

I must say they're very nice. I like the soft dark blue background. One thing I totally hate about macromedia's icon is that "d" look like they are going to fall any time

Two suggestions: don't add any texts in the icon since they'll be unreadable at 80x80 size and below.

Make the document paper little gray to reduce the amount of contrast it have now. But leave the dog ear white.

But other than that, I'd love to use it

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Ricci Adams:
<STRONG>

These are mine. The original are somewhat 3d and have inverted colors. I think the Flash original is hard to read.</STRONG>
They are quite nice but they don't follow the Aqua guidelines.

Could you post the originals as a comparison?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 08:20 PM

Yeah, the new icons are pretty ugly.
That "d" looks like some messed up, up side-down "pee", I mean "p".

t

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>I must say they're very nice. I like the soft dark blue background. One thing I totally hate about macromedia's icon is that "d" look like they are going to fall any time

Two suggestions: don't add any texts in the icon since they'll be unreadable at 80x80 size and below.

Make the document paper little gray to reduce the amount of contrast it have now. But leave the dog ear white.

But other than that, I'd love to use it </STRONG>
I agreee with Adam's suggestions. If you make those changes i'll be glad using your icons

Ricci Adams  (op)
Apr 29, 2002, 08:53 PM

<STRONG>

They are quite nice but they don't follow the Aqua guidelines.

Could you post the originals as a comparison?</STRONG>
Here is a picture of the original icons:

Ricci Adams  (op)
Apr 29, 2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>I must say they're very nice. I like the soft dark blue background. One thing I totally hate about macromedia's icon is that "d" look like they are going to fall any time

But other than that, I'd love to use it </STRONG>
Here is a comparison picture of the old fireworks document (left) and the new one (right). In addition to listing the file type, I added a bit of gray (5%) as you requested (10% looked too dark).

I will create application icons that do not have the text. Thanks for your suggestions!

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 10:43 PM

Hm... I'd say I like both the originals and your new ones about equally well. The light sourcing on th Macromedia ones is totally off, but otherwise I'd say they aren't bad.

At least their document icons look like Aqua document icons... much better than, say, IE, Stuffit, and Palm Desktop. And they don't do that stupid filetype-on-a-floating-plastic-thing like Adobe and others tend to.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 10:49 PM

<STRONG>

Here is a picture of the original icons:

</STRONG>
Oh yes, those are really ugly (unless you love traffic lights). And don't follow the Aqua guidelines either. Just like Adobe's and Microsoft's.

Filetype on a floating plastic thing would be against the guidelines too, so at least they got that right.

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Developer ]

Ricci Adams  (op)
Apr 29, 2002, 11:35 PM

Here is a picture of the requested icons with no text:

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 11:44 PM

Just for clarification, what are the Aqua guidlines for icons?

I personally like the PS and IR icons. The DW icon is ok, but the 'd' is whack.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Ricci Adams  (op)
Apr 29, 2002, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>Just for clarification, what are the Aqua guidlines for icons?

I personally like the PS and IR icons. The DW icon is ok, but the 'd' is whack.</STRONG>
The Aqua icon quidelines can be found in the Aqua Human Interface Guidelines, located here.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2002, 12:11 AM

Ricci:

Great icons, can you post those on your iDisk by chance? How about submittion to Xicons.com?

Thanks!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 12:30 AM

<STRONG>

The Aqua icon quidelines can be found in the Aqua Human Interface Guidelines, located here.</STRONG>
I read the guidlines, and they got half right, colorful and inviting. They didn't, however, get the tool involvement along with the perspective. Is that what you guys mean? So if it were a html palette or window or something designed in perspective, and still bright, would that folow the Aqua guidelines? Then, the threads icons don't follow the guidelines either.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 12:31 AM

<STRONG>Here is a picture of the requested icons with no text:

</STRONG>
Those are much better! Where can we get them?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>

I read the guidlines, and they got half right, colorful and inviting. They didn't, however, get the tool involvement along with the perspective. Is that what you guys mean? So if it were a html palette or window or something designed in perspective, and still bright, would that folow the Aqua guidelines? Then, the threads icons don't follow the guidelines either.</STRONG>
Yes (to all).

It can be hard to design an icon that follows the guidelines but it helps distinguishing between documents, utilities, applications and the manipulated media of applications.

So an html/web page document in perspective would be ideal. There's no 'real world' tool for manipulating web pages, but I think a weaver ship (or how ever you might call that thing in a loom in English) would be just fine.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 01:10 AM

<STRONG>

Yes (to all).

It can be hard to design an icon that follows the guidelines but it helps distinguishing between documents, utilities, applications and the manipulated media of applications.

So an html/web page document in perspective would be ideal. There's no 'real world' tool for manipulating web pages, but I think a weaver ship (or how ever you might call that thing in a loom in English) would be just fine.</STRONG>
Ok, just wanted to make sure I understood it all correctly. So maybe someone has the time to try and make an Aqua certified icon for DW

oranjdisc
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 12:48 PM

Hate to say it, but Apple can crow and gripe as much as they want about developers not following guidlines, but most of it falls on deaf ears, especially if we're talking about a cross-plaform app that needs a consistent look and feel. I personally am not all that hot for the icons (especially Flash) but they are much better than what they had before.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:

<STRONG>Hate to say it, but Apple can crow and gripe as much as they want about developers not following guidlines, but most of it falls on deaf ears, especially if we're talking about a cross-plaform app that needs a consistent look and feel. I personally am not all that hot for the icons (especially Flash) but they are much better than what they had before.</STRONG>
But nobody is really hindered in following Apple's guidelines for cross platform apps since on the Windows side nobody cares about Microsoft's guidelines (do they even exist for application icons?) anyway.

And I never understood why cross platform apps need to be totally equal in look and feel. It's not that PhotoShop users switch the platform every five minutes. And they'll surely find the app on Windows even if it has a slightly different icon there.

Anyway since this thread is about custom user icons, one could still try to create custom application icons that follow the guidelines. Who is going to take the challange?

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Developer ]

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>

Those are much better! Where can we get them?</STRONG>
I second this statement. There is still no link to download these (much improved icons), can't you stick 'em on your iDisk or something?

Ricci Adams  (op)
Apr 30, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>
I second this statement. There is still no link to download these (much improved icons), can't you stick 'em on your iDisk or something?</STRONG>
I will have them up tonight on my iDisk
http://homepage.mac.com/ricciadams/

Update:
I uploaded a copy of my work so far. Please note that this isn't a final release (which will be up later tonight). This is just for those of you who can't wait for 4-5 hours for the real thing

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Ricci Adams ]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
<STRONG>Hate to say it, but Apple can crow and gripe as much as they want about developers not following guidlines, but most of it falls on deaf ears, especially if we're talking about a cross-plaform app that needs a consistent look and feel. I personally am not all that hot for the icons (especially Flash) but they are much better than what they had before.</STRONG>
It's better to know the rules first before breaking them. Apple is just basically setting a guidelines for us to start on. Believe it or not, most new X developers are following Apple's GUI pretty well.

Ricci Adams  (op)
Apr 30, 2002, 09:49 PM

I have uploaded the finished icon collection to my iDisk.

The file is named "invertedmmx.sit". Please tell me what you think!

Forum Links
Forum Rules