Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > ultra wide landscape lens recommendations?

ultra wide landscape lens recommendations?
richskl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2008, 03:56 PM

Hi. I'm currently thinking of buying a landscape lens for my canon 20d. I'm thinking of somewhere between 10/12mm up to 20mm, and preferably under $800. Is there any need to get an f2.8 lens for landscapes? any recommendations from people who use these regularly?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2008, 07:42 PM

Canon 10-22mm @ $650ish... can't see much reason for f/2.8 for landscapes.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 30, 2008, 10:53 PM

i have the canon 10-22 mentioned above. it quickly became one of my favorite lenses. good for a lot more than just landscapes, too. i can post examples, if you'd like.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 11:21 PM

Photozone likes it, too.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/17...report--review

It's been tested on the 15mp 50D, too, and passed. So, resolution-wise, it's relatively future-proof (not all lenses are, especially older designs).

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 11:28 PM

The best wide zoom is the Nikon 2,8/14-24, and there is an adapter for Canon, but you have to stop down manually, and lose the automatic functions.

There are people who do this, because the lens is so great. Canon doesn't have a great wide zoom at this moment, unfortunately.

But, for consolation, the Nikon 14-24 costs 1800$, which is about three times as much as the Canon.

richskl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2008, 08:15 AM

thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards the canon but the sigma 10-20mm seems to get good reviews. ken rockwell likes the tokina 11-16 f2.8. so many choices!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by richskl View Post
thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards the canon but the sigma 10-20mm seems to get good reviews. ken rockwell likes the tokina 11-16 f2.8. so many choices!
Mr. Rockwell's site is all over the internet, and he's very good at SEO, so he gets good spots in the search results of the major search engines.

He has a populist approach to writing about photography.

He knows how to make people listen up. And he makes many photographers angry with what he says, as it is sometimes so far off what's reasonable.

Somewhere on his website he has a disclaimer that practically says all he writes can be true - or not.

His equipment reviews carry no weight for me.

A better place is photozone.de.

You can also go to RobGalbraith.com. Or check out dpreview.com.

An alternative site is FredMiranda.com. But those are user reviews, and they are sometimes very off.

Regarding third party lenses: I know it sounds tempting, but I think it's not a good idea to save on lenses. Why are those third party lenses cheaper? Not because Canon overcharges (the 10-22 is not so expensive). So, if you buy a cheaper lens, you trade in some quality. For example, with a third party lens manufacturer it is more likely to get a bad copy.

A good lens is an investment that will, if bought with a quality concerned mind, outlast your current body and will give you more satisfaction creating photos.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Jan 2, 2009 at 12:29 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules