Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Post Pictures of your new Ti1G powerbooks

Post Pictures of your new Ti1G powerbooks
BlakIce
Nov 13, 2002, 02:56 PM

i know some people have started getting their new powerbooks so lets see pictures of them, and even some side by side pics if u have any previous versons

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 03:01 PM

I'll put some up later tonight. I am -still- moving stuff from my old Quicksilver.
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

BlakIce  (op)
Nov 13, 2002, 03:12 PM

u can donate your old one to me till i get the 1Ghz

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 07:27 PM

What kind do you want?

( Last edited by Christina; Nov 13, 2002 at 08:16 PM. )

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 08:50 PM

Christina, I see you have a Sony-Ericsson T68i. Are you syncing it to your new PB using Bluetooth? How is that working for you?

Somewhat unrelated... What service provider are you using for the phone, and how is the coverage and service? Overall impressions of the phone?

Are you using your PB as your "desktop" and portable? What kind of work do you do? Does the PB handle the workload to your satisfaction?

macndave
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 08:59 PM

Is the "Show Desktop" a command? I've not seen that before. I assume it allows the user to show the desktop without having to minimize all the foreground applications.

Also, are you sharing your flower desktop image? (Non-copyright, of course)

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by macndave:
Is the "Show Desktop" a command? I've not seen that before. I assume it allows the user to show the desktop without having to minimize all the foreground applications.

http://www.everydaysoftware.net/system/

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 09:57 PM

Yep, I sync it with my T68i using bluetooth (I got that dLink adapter that is at the Apple store). Works just fine and much faster than when I sync it with my PC using IR. I wish I could directly sync w/Entourage though so I could get the info from my Exchange server at work.

As for speed, this machine is -MORE- than fast enough. I work for a large consulting firm and do Internet security work (VPN and firewall setups, security audits, security policy development, architecture, as well as pre-sales, etc.). Unix is obviously a plus for me... I do have to run Virtual PC though for the Checkpoint Management client software as well as ISS Internet scanner. Using Win2k as the guest OS with 256mb allocated for it seems fine for these tasks.

On the Mac end, Office v.X, Photoshop, and other things work fine. I do wish there was a native Outlook client, though. Entourage actually seems to pick up meeting requests and the such fine, but I still start up Outloook 2001 (starts Classic to do this) sometimes.

Christina

Originally posted by iChristopher:
Christina, I see you have a Sony-Ericsson T68i. Are you syncing it to your new PB using Bluetooth? How is that working for you?

Somewhat unrelated... What service provider are you using for the phone, and how is the coverage and service? Overall impressions of the phone?

Are you using your PB as your "desktop" and portable? What kind of work do you do? Does the PB handle the workload to your satisfaction?

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 10:00 PM

Nebrie has a link below to the Show Desktop program. It's -very- handy sometimes, btw. I love it as you can tell.

As for the flower desktop, it was actually done by 'tigert', who does some Gnome (linux desktop environment) icons and the such. It's free to download off of his site, so check here under Wallpaper Images (I am using weird flower):

http://tigert.gimp.org/

Originally posted by macndave:

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2002, 10:15 PM

Christina, very nice set up. Makes me wonder if I should shove my Duel 500 over and let my PB sit ontop of my desk as the primary workhorse?

I wonder which can crunch photoshop and Q3 faster, a 1Ghz PB or a duel 500 ?
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 10:35 PM

I wish that were my 1Ghz superdrive pictured here. It's an 800Mhz placeholder.

http://www.thomas-design.com/Artwork2.jpg

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 10:39 PM

Nice screen (good taste in speakers, too )... I have a 21" Sony GDM-F500 now that is showing its years. If they release a 19" LCD next year I'll get one, if not, I'm not sure sure what I'll do...

Originally posted by craigthomas:

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 10:41 PM

I don't own a copy of Quake III. I take it I can't run a benchmark w/out the full commercial version?

Photoshop seems pretty fast, although I'm a little more used to it on a desktop 7200 rpm drive w/more cache on it. Luckily I don't use it every day (although I do sometimes), so it's definitely fine on the TiBook - 1gig of ram doesn't hurt.

But it's a nice box. Screen is almost too bright though, I'll probably turn it down a notch in the display properties.

Christina
Originally posted by UnixMac:
Christina, very nice set up. Makes me wonder if I should shove my Duel 500 over and let my PB sit ontop of my desk as the primary workhorse?

I wonder which can crunch photoshop and Q3 faster, a 1Ghz PB or a duel 500 ?

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:

Nice chair, have the same one. HM rocks.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 11:12 PM

Damn that is an ugly background. I know you're a girl and all, but damn, all I can say is yucky
( Last edited by jhunt5247; Nov 13, 2002 at 11:20 PM. )

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2002, 11:38 PM

jhunt, no matter what your college professors told you......girls are different...

Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 11:53 PM

:-p

Well, it was either that, or a picture of my dog. I felt like flowers today.

Originally posted by jhunt5247:

Damn that is an ugly background. I know you're a girl and all, but damn, all I can say is yucky

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Christina:
:-p

Well, it was either that, or a picture of my dog. I felt like flowers today.

hehe.. Ok, I will let you slide It is hard to tell what the screen really looks like via the digital camera. BTW Jaguar does support changing the desktop background every few seconds.. just in case your mood changes that quickly

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 12:14 AM

Can you see it now?

On a side note, I despise the look of Brushed Metal stuff. I wish I could toggle iSync, iTunes, and other ugly things to use Aqua.

hehe.. Ok, I will let you slide It is hard to tell what the screen really looks like via the digital camera. BTW Jaguar does support changing the desktop background every few seconds.. just in case your mood changes that quickly

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 12:18 AM

Can you see it now?

On a side note, I despise the look of Brushed Metal stuff. I wish I could toggle iSync, iTunes, and other ugly things to use Aqua.

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdodd/Desktop-1.jpg
I am with ya girl. I had enough brushed medal about 2 years ago with Enlightenment WM. Looks a lot better now BTW.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2002, 12:18 AM

I despise the look of Brushed Metal stuff. I wish I could toggle iSync, iTunes, and other ugly things to use Aqua.
Brushed metal is awesome. If all of OS X were brushed metal, that'd be great. In fact I wish the TiBook case were polished Ti. No paint issues either.

Actually, I'd like it the best if the TiBook were as sturdy as the iBook though.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 12:20 AM

To each his or her own, eh?

My main complaint is it just doesn't match with the rest of the 'Aqua' stuff. They should let you do all or none for both themes, imho. I hate clashes. lol

Originally posted by Eug:

Brushed metal is awesome. If all of OS X were brushed metal, that'd be great. In fact I wish the TiBook case were polished Ti. No paint issues either.

Actually, I'd like it the best if the TiBook were as sturdy as the iBook though.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2002, 12:23 AM

Anyone notice her hard drive is a pink butterfly?

anywho....I'm a brushed metal dude.... I think it's getting a bit over done these days, but Apple did start it (I think)
Apple user since 1981

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 12:29 AM

http://www.xicons.com

They have lots of neat icon packs you can use. (As for the AOL icon, let's just say that I have way too many friends who can't do anything on the 'Internet', so AOL helps. hehe)

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Anyone notice her hard drive is a pink butterfly?

anywho....I'm a brushed metal dude.... I think it's getting a bit over done these days, but Apple did start it (I think)
( Last edited by Christina; Nov 14, 2002 at 12:35 AM. )

BlakIce  (op)
Nov 14, 2002, 02:42 AM

nice setup christina

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2002, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by mbperk:

Nice chair, have the same one. HM rocks.
agreed i want one of those sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

luv em

l�k
iron sharpens iron

dajay
Nov 14, 2002, 03:49 AM

Can you see it now?

there is a haxie at unsanity.com, which turns off the brushed metal look. they also have one to turn aqua into brushed metal. you might wanna check that out, it works rather well.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2002, 03:50 AM

nice set up Christina i bet youre having fun

cant wait for mine to get here....

l�k
iron sharpens iron

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2002, 09:47 AM

agreed i want one of those sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.
Re: Herman Miller chair. I bought (and returned) 2 different high end chairs, and tested the Herman Miller extensively. (I'd be sitting there reading in the store in the Herman Miller chair for 20 minutes at a time.) I ended up buying an ergonomic chair that cost less than half the price because they all felt about the same in terms of back support. The Steelcase chair I bought and returned was very cool though, and more futuristic than the Herman Miller.

Basically the only answer for my back was to not sit so much, and to get more exercise. Or if I had to sit, then get up every 20 minutes and stretch.

As for the brushed metal, I may be biased because I have a bit of brushed Ti on my bicycle. Very industrial looking but very durable too.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2002, 10:48 AM

Nice screen (good taste in speakers, too )... I have a 21" Sony GDM-F500 now that is showing its years. If they release a 19" LCD next year I'll get one, if not, I'm not sure sure what I'll do...

Christina, look into the ViewSonic VX2000. They're 20.1-inch LCD's with an ultra-fast response time of 9 milliseconds. Its native resolution is 1,600 by 1,200 pixels, and I think it's nicer, brighter, and whiter than the Cinema HD.

It's also a bargain at around $1,300.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 11:14 AM

I need to find one of those at a store so I can try them out. Not had any luck yet, although I suppose I can make another set of rounds. I hope it also matches. LOL. The specs look good on paper anyway...

Christina

PS $1300. I need to work in another industry.

Originally posted by seanyepez:

Christina, look into the ViewSonic VX2000. They're 20.1-inch LCD's with an ultra-fast response time of 9 milliseconds. Its native resolution is 1,600 by 1,200 pixels, and I think it's nicer, brighter, and whiter than the Cinema HD.

It's also a bargain at around $1,300.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 11:16 AM

The problem was that it needed a program like ResEdit. I thought the only similar program for X was non-free. Am I missing something?

Originally posted by dajay:

there is a haxie at unsanity.com, which turns off the brushed metal look. they also have one to turn aqua into brushed metal. you might wanna check that out, it works rather well.

dajay
Nov 14, 2002, 12:27 PM

The problem was that it needed a program like ResEdit. I thought the only similar program for X was non-free. Am I missing something?

No, it doesn't need ResEdit and it is free.

here is the link: metallifizer

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 12:28 PM

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/metallifizer/

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 12:35 PM

You guys rock.

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/metallifizer/

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 01:00 PM

You guys rock.

Well, it will be really good util when they get Carbon support in (this way you can take that nasty brushed metal out of iTunes).

For now, atleast it works for iChat/Caculator/Adress Book and others.

BlakIce  (op)
Nov 14, 2002, 08:59 PM

only one person is gonna post pics of their new PB i know some of u had to get yours today

pbarton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2002, 09:41 PM

Here are two more pics to peruse:

A close-up, showing the new "PowerBook G4" font (Myriad?) and the "yes they are still translucent" keycaps.

CloseUp.jpg

And a side by side comparison with a 1st gen TiBook (Left) showing off the new lighter color paint job (Right).

Compare.jpg

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by pbarton:
Here are two more pics to peruse:
And a side by side comparison with a 1st gen TiBook (Left) showing off the new lighter color paint job (Right).

Compare.jpg
Hey that was cool. Thanks for the comparison. I do like the new Powerbook's paint scheme better from that picture.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2002, 09:48 AM

Hey that was cool. Thanks for the comparison. I do like the new Powerbook's paint scheme better from that picture.
I'm sorry to have to ask, but really can't tell the difference. I tried and tried to look and all that is different is the shadows. How about another closeup under natural / equal light and maybe even a fron view to see the rim that is the cause of most of this paint bubbling.
Apple user since 1981

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2002, 10:00 AM

To make it all brushed metal you need Max's brushed theme AND metalifizer, and let me tell you it looks AWESOME. I love the look when it's consitant everywhere.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2002, 10:02 AM

I don't see any difference. What am I looking for again?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Mage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2002, 11:25 AM

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2002, 02:01 PM

I�ll get one new, when Apple comes out with an 1.8 GHz PPC 970 in an brushed metal custom eloxized casing

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2002, 02:45 PM

Mage... Which powerbook is this??? superdrive?
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2002, 03:43 PM

Re: Herman Miller chair. I bought (and returned) 2 different high end chairs, and tested the Herman Miller extensively. (I'd be sitting there reading in the store in the Herman Miller chair for 20 minutes at a time.) I ended up buying an ergonomic chair that cost less than half the price because they all felt about the same in terms of back support. The Steelcase chair I bought and returned was very cool though, and more futuristic than the Herman Miller.

Basically the only answer for my back was to not sit so much, and to get more exercise. Or if I had to sit, then get up every 20 minutes and stretch.

Steelcase made a sweet coach chair (my buddy has one, but he likes mine better), but the Aeron is the heat.

As for the brushed metal, I may be biased because I have a bit of brushed Ti on my bicycle. Very industrial looking but very durable too.
Steelcase made a sweet Coach chair (my buddy has one, but he still likes mine better), but the Aeron is the heat.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2002, 05:37 PM

What kind of battery life are you getting on your 1GHz SD PB?
Troy Murray

tvn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2002, 05:54 PM

dajay
Nov 15, 2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by tvn:

Nice Pictures, I espicially like this one
http://mage.mh.bm/photos/bud.jpg
rofl!!

but the other pics are nice too

t_hah
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2002, 06:23 PM

Mage, and you just have those pictures online? I mean the other ones? Hm...

t

Forum Links
Forum Rules