Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook 867 and OS X on battery question

TiBook 867 and OS X on battery question
DSHwrd
Nov 11, 2002, 09:17 PM

Hey all,

I just bought my first laptop on Saturday, and I've got to say, I love it. My old machine (700Mhz eMac) never gave me any problems but sadly the TiBook is. I'll try to explain:

When I'm running off of the battery alone the system sometimes feels unusable (this is usually right after the screen dims, I wake it up and it's extremely slow for a while). I mean, I click on a menu item (Say 'Finder') and I wait 5 seconds then I see the spinning beachball for about a second and then the menu opens. This is really frustrating, and to say the least, annoying. Is this a known problem with TiBooks? I mean, are all TiBooks slow after the computer screen dims? It's not always after the screen dims. I can be playing in photoshop elements and then go to the Edit menu and it lags too, or in preview, etc... It's sort of spontaneous when it does it, but I can get it to repeatedly slow down after the screen dims.

Any ideas and/or suggestions? Is this a TiBook issue or an OS X issue? Would re-installing help (I pray I don't have to re-install).

Again, this is my first laptop ever, not my first mac. So I'm a bit dumbfound right now.

Cheers,
- Daniel

P.S. My Specs are:
867Mhz, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9000 32MD DDR, 40G HD, no external devices (while testing this problem), and everything else is normal...
Daniel Howard | Mac OS X (10.2.2) | TiBook867 /\ iSub w/ Soundsticks /\ iPod
www.midnite-liteman.com | ideaSpiral 1.5.3 / DVD Rack 1.0.2

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 12:46 AM

My PowerMac does the same when the disk goes to sleep. Waking a disk can take a couple of seconds. Try adjusting the time it takes for the disk to go to sleep mode. Unfortunately my TiBook (exact same as yours) has not been delivered yet so I can't test. Anyone else seen this? Seems pretty strange for newer disks (my Mac is old).

pdagal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 01:34 AM

My 867 doesn't have the kind of lag you described. Even after the disk has gone to sleep, it take no more than 5 seconds for it to spin up. My old 667DVI didn't have the slowdown either.

I had 512 megs of RAM in the 667DVI and 768 in the 867.

DSHwrd  (op)
Nov 12, 2002, 01:54 AM

My only guess is the HD doesn't spin up fast enough because it's a 4200RPM disk now... I'll get a new faster one sooner or later. The problem isn't so critical that I can't use the computer, just really annoying.

Let me know if you guys figure anything out.

Cheers,
- Daniel

crispinwilliams
Nov 12, 2002, 10:34 AM

I am running a powerbook 667 (first version) with OS10.2.1 and from today 10.2.2. I do not have this problem at all. It wakes up from sleep in some seconds (less than 5) and gives no impression of 'instability'. Maybe you have a flakey disk?

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by DSHwrd:
My only guess is the HD doesn't spin up fast enough because it's a 4200RPM disk now... I'll get a new faster one sooner or later. The problem isn't so critical that I can't use the computer, just really annoying.

Let me know if you guys figure anything out.
I wouldn't settle for that. It is not because the drive is 4200 RPM. It sounds like it is not waking up properly. My advice would be to investigate the settings in your energy saving panel. I assume you experience no such problems when your connected w/ an AC adapter?

You might also want to apply the 10.2.2 patch that came out today, I remember reading over the new updates and I recall seeing something like this for laptops. I will have to recheck to be for sure.

Well I just checked: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...osxupdate.html

- Improves time needed to wake some portable computers.

DSHwrd  (op)
Nov 12, 2002, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:

I wouldn't settle for that. It is not because the drive is 4200 RPM. It sounds like it is not waking up properly. My advice would be to investigate the settings in your energy saving panel. I assume you experience no such problems when your connected w/ an AC adapter?

You might also want to apply the 10.2.2 patch that came out today, I remember reading over the new updates and I recall seeing something like this for laptops. I will have to recheck to be for sure.

Well I just checked: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...osxupdate.html

- Improves time needed to wake some portable computers.

Yea, I read that too. I'm hoping it does work. I'll do some testing on it and see if it fixes it. Let's hope so. I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,
- Daniel

DSHwrd  (op)
Nov 13, 2002, 10:52 PM

Ok, 10.2.2 did _not_ fix this problem. I'm about to do a complete re-install of the Operating System and see if that fixes it. I wanted to ask this first:

Does anyone else have Windowshade X, FruitMenu, and Xounds installed on their PowerBook running under 10.2.2 (or 10.2.1). Thanks to Apple for giving me a free version of Snapz Pro, I'll make a movie of what is happening so that you all can better understand...

I'll post a link to it once it's uploaded (on a 56k). I'm hoping someone has had this problem before because I really do not want to re-install the OS, again.

My setup is the default install that came on the PB, I removed OS 9 (Deleted all references to it with the 'rm' command). I've installed a few haxies, but they never affected my eMac, so I don't see why they would affect the PB.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
- Daniel

EDIT: I can't make a movie of it, because opening Snapz Pro is obviously waking the HD or doing something -- therefore the menus work as they should. This leads me to the assumption that it has to do with the HD falling asleep right away. Which it should be, because I have the checkbox for 'Put hard drive to sleep whenever possible' unchecked in both the batter and AC adaptor mode. Any ideas?

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 10:59 PM

My new 1ghz (60gb) comes up in about 5 seconds or so to.

Christina
Originally posted by pdagal:
My 867 doesn't have the kind of lag you described. Even after the disk has gone to sleep, it take no more than 5 seconds for it to spin up. My old 667DVI didn't have the slowdown either.

I had 512 megs of RAM in the 667DVI and 768 in the 867.
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

DSHwrd  (op)
Nov 14, 2002, 12:21 AM

Hey all,

I managed to get a movie after all, just had to wait 20+ seconds after starting Snapz Pro (and it shows in the movie... so just fast forward about 25 seconds). Anyways, this shows exactly what is happening after the computer dims, after I type for a while (on here or in AIM or in TextEdit, etc...), or just after me browsing the web for a bit. Anything that isn't HD powered seems to be fine, but as soon as I call upon the HD (by clicking a menu, etc...) the computer goes 'Blah!'.

Any ideas, let me know,
- Daniel

OH yeah, the link is:

www.dshwrd.com/movies/SlowMenu.mov

DSHwrd  (op)
Nov 14, 2002, 02:36 AM

Well, I just did a re-install. I've been running off of the battery since the re-install and well, everything is perfectly fine and Snappy�. I installed the Dev Tools and the 10.2.2 updates all while the battery was the power source. Never once did I get a spinning beach ball. Looks like it was just a funky install. Or at least I hope so...

Cheers,
- Daniel

Forum Links
Forum Rules