Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar forgets my Time Zone

Jaguar forgets my Time Zone
iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 12:53 PM

Whenever i go to the date and time prefs, my time zone is gone! so i have to reselect it again but when i close the system prefs window and go back to the date and time again, my time zone is blank.

anybody know how to fix this? it's kinda bugging me.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 01:16 PM

restart and zap the PRAM?

iRebound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
restart and zap the PRAM?
i tried zapping my PRAM. but now when i close the system prefs window and come back, the time zone stays. but when i quit the system prefs and come back, the time zone is gone. weird

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by iRebound:
i tried zapping my PRAM. but now when i close the system prefs window and come back, the time zone stays. but when i quit the system prefs and come back, the time zone is gone. weird
First off, download this (http://homepage.mac.com/trententtye5/zoneinfo.sit) to your Desktop, unstuff it, quit everything but the Terminal and do the following:

prompt% cd /usr/share
:/usr/share] prompt% sudo rm -R zoneinfo
:/usr/share] prompt% sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/zoneinfo zoneinfo

That's it! Open up your System Preferences and you'll now be able to select your time zone and your time will adjust accordingly.

Here is my original plight I used to track this bitch down.

Did you have Norton Utilities and used it? More specfically speed disk?

I'm trying to track down this corruption and I've found another user who encountered the same problem, both occurred after using Norton.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

JeremyS
Senior User
Apr 2, 2003, 09:27 PM

tried Metzen's method and it worked flawlessly!!

The download for the zoneinfo folder doesn't work anymore but if you have another mac that works, use the Finder find fundtion from the FILE menu, then select invisibilty from Criteria and set it to ALL, then search for ZONEINFO on the good mac, copy this folder to the desktop of the MAC acting up and then preform Metzen's method, it works perfect.

timezone's work again and Safari is no longer crashing all the time!

Forum Links
Forum Rules