Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New Outlook Exchange Client?

New Outlook Exchange Client?
HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2000, 12:33 AM

Anyone know if/when we can expect a new version of Outlook Exchange client? The current version sucks!!! It seems to me that MS could integrate the "Exchange" capability to Outlook Express 5-- but who knows! I think OE 5 is great and I would love to be able to have a good email solution to work with MS Exchange. If anyone has any info on any plans for a new version I would appreciate the tip.

Thanks.....

Alex Rodriguez

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2000, 05:54 AM

A few months ago, a rumor site wrote that a full version of Outlook (and Draw) will be included with the next release of Microsoft Office.

Remember, this information came from a rumor site.

RockLord
Feb 8, 2000, 02:33 PM

Hmm, what a surprise, the name of a Microsloth product and the word "sucks" in the same sentence!

Why not try an alternative program that doesn't come from the evil empire, Eudora lite comes to mind....

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2000, 03:10 PM

...Because he is talking about Exchange Server - not Outlook Express. Two different products.

Scott

Paul Martin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2000, 10:30 AM

Here is the Microsoft web site for the Outlook Exchange Server client (http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/mac.htm). You can download a PDF document that that talks about future plans. Essentially, Outlook is a combination contact manager, e-mail client, and calendering application. The Mac version is poor as a contact manager, fine as an e-mail client, and has serious gaps in calendering. If all you want is some contact management along with a good e-mail client, Outlook Express is perfectly fine, and I prefer it. You just have to configure it to find your SMTP host (e.g., Exchange Server). But it doesn't do calendering. The major gap in the Outlook Exchange Server Client for the Mac is that it is not fully interactice with the PC version calendars. That is supposed to be fixed with the next version.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2000, 03:22 PM

You are assuming that the Exchange Server is only setup for internet e-mail.

Where I work, we also have internal e-mail and shared master address books.

These all require the client which is showing its age and requires extensions which I am loathe to put on graphics machines, but must if they are to be on internal e-mail.

drewman

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 12, 2000, 09:47 PM

Anyway, HotDog, make sure you are using version 8.2.1, which is directly downloadable off the page linked by Paul Martin. BTW, the document he mentions is in Word format, not PDF.

We use MS Exchange here at school, I despise it, but it does get the job done...

Drewman: are you using "MS Exchange Client" or "MS Outlook, Exchange Server Edition"? The latter is based on the Office 98 code and surprisingly does not install much crap in the System folder. So be sure you are using 8.2.1, which is very recent, dated Aug. 1999.

tooki

[This message has been edited by tooki (edited 02-12-2000).]

HotDog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2000, 10:51 PM

Yes, I am using 8.2.1. Sure it gets the job done but it sucks! It is hard to use when others in my company are using the Windows version. I guess all we can do is hope.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2000, 01:51 AM

Yes, we use Outlook 8.2.1 Exchange Server edition.

The extension I despise is called something like Outlook OT Helper. It has been implicated in several crashes with Adobe Illustrator and Outlook running at the same time.

Of course, I could tell the graphics people to not run Outlook while in Illustrator, but first they won't always remember and second - they like to know when they get e-mail.

When we were on a pure POP server, they ran a little program that just checked for new e-mail during idle times and alerted the user when new e-mail arrived. Never caused any problems.

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 02-13-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules