Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery Problems Important Read This and Be Happy

Battery Problems Important Read This and Be Happy
LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 12:16 PM

MacFixIt this morning
"Today I called AppleCare and asked about why my battery was acting so strangely [after installing 10.2.8]. I was put on hold for a few minutes while the phone tech talked to someone else. He came back on the line and said that it was a known issue, and that Apple wasn't recalling batteries just yet. He also said that restoring the system software to 10.2.6 wouldn't fix the problem. He said Apple is working on a fix and will release it soon via SoftwareUpdate."

Like I have been saying apple has a handle on it.

www.macfixit.com

Please note this is quoted off the macfixit homepage and I wasn't the one that published this, and I wasnt the one that called apple. I figured it would get solved and they didnt need me bothering them when thousands of others were already.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 12:35 PM

Maybe we should make this a temporary sticky so people dont miss it.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
Maybe we should make this a temporary sticky so people dont miss it.
That's really good to hear. After installing 10.2.8, then getting the battery drain problem; I re-installed, form scratch, 10.2.6 and the same problem was there. Less than an hour of charge on my Pismo battery. Not funny.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 12:48 PM

Yeah this should prevent others from wasting valuable time doing what you tried to do which was actually a nice effort. Hopefully the patch will be released and their will be no batter recall. The great thing is apple is very well aware and is working on it this should brighten up a lot of peoples days.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 01:52 PM

trying to bump this thread up so everyone sees it.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 05:13 PM

bump

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 05:32 PM

This is good news.

I don't have the battery problem as bad as some folks - but my battery life was shortened by 10.2.8.

What was (almost) as bad though was that the system clock would reset at each restart (to 12 am Jan 1, 1970 GMT). But reverting to 10.2.6 fixed that.

Rev A. 12" PB G4
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 10:12 PM

Am I the only one who wonders if the 10.2.8 battery issue, and the low life reported on new 15" models, might be the SAME problem?

I know that 15" models don't have 10.2.8, but typically a new Mac does have its own SLIGHTLY different flavor of the OS. So perhaps the 10.2.7 that comes on new 15"s shares the modification/bug found in 10.2.8?

Just a thought--this would mean that a simple software fix could help the 15" owners, without forcing them to buy Panther for $129. (Not that Panther isn't worth it on its own, but I don't think people should have to pay anything to get something close to the claimed life. Of course, a free Panther retroactive to every PowerBook buyer wouldn't be bad!)
nagromme

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 10:16 PM

MacFixIt already said the bug started in .7 and wasnt fixed in .8 so your theory is correct but already proven. Like I said though the battery indicator is all that is hosed I still get 3.8 horus on this thing. IT jumps all over the place from 5 to 3 to 1 to 2 every 20 seconds.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
Yeah this should prevent others from wasting valuable time doing what you tried to do which was actually a nice effort. Hopefully the patch will be released and their will be no batter recall. The great thing is apple is very well aware and is working on it this should brighten up a lot of peoples days.
While I, too, remain optimistic that Apple will fix this snafu update, your statement that "Apple is very well aware and is working on it" is based upon a website ... who received an e-mail from an anonymous person ... who said he heard this ... from an Apple support tech.

Not exactly an official Apple notification of error and impending fix, is it?

I'm still patiently waiting for Apple to provide us with their fix, after 1 week of dismal battery performance, resulting from their official software update. (and that's actual battery duration, not just estimated time in the menu)

iBorg

Forum Links
Forum Rules