Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Interesting find in 10.1

Interesting find in 10.1
Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2001, 02:16 PM

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2001, 02:21 PM

I can make something similar in InterfaceBuilder, too.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2001, 02:29 PM

What program is that?

The interesting thing about this is the implication that Sound Sets, at least in some incarnation, are either back or will be coming back. But you could have at least been nice enough to point that out.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Jan Van Boghout
Sep 25, 2001, 02:33 PM

Oh , do you also have the prerelease version of Appearance Maker from the ADC ? I heard Apple removed it shortly after they put on their servers . It's great , isn't it ? Finally making your own themes !

(People who believe my post , well ... )

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2001, 08:14 PM

I think I found this window in the dev tools carbon appearance sample project (could be mis-remembering, though.) Regardless, the APIs for querying that info are there for all of that stuff. The appearance manager abstracts the specifics of how windows and controls are drawn, and uses the term "Theme" to describe a collection of metrics and colors and so on. This stuff has actually been there for a long time.

It's possible to theme Carbon OS9 and OSX. (In fact, standard Platinum in OS9 is one "theme" as far as Carbon apps are concerned, and standard Aqua in OSX is another "theme.") Appearance-manager-compliant apps will respect the themes and work correctly. But this doesn't necessarily mean there are other themes available, or that there are plans to make themes. The "theme" abstraction is just good programming.

Forum Links
Forum Rules