Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Streaming network camera

Streaming network camera
LisaJill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 07:12 PM

Hey all,

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum or overly talked about. I tried a bunch of searches along the lines of "network camera server" and variations therein and could find nothing.

I am looking to purchase a network camera - built in webserver, own IP (no computer required) that streams at a good rate. I've looked at a bunch of these (and there was even a purchase of a Hawking Technologies camera (HC700pt, was featured on Gizmodo, and was (still is) grossly misadvertised as being cross-platform) but many seem to be viewable only on IE 6.0 on the PC - ActiveX being the popular choice of technology, apparently.

Anyway, I was hoping someone might have some recommendations of a network camera that would be viewable cross platform. It does need to be viewed on IE 6.0 by some. I need it viewable on either Firefox 1.0PR or Safari. Opera compatibility (pc and mac) would be nice too.

If anyone has any recommendations on these I'd be really appreciative. Thank you. =)

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 12:17 PM

Check out my post at the bottom of this thread. I'll reactivate the temp username/password for you.
After posting that I checked around some more and am convinced that my setup is about as good as you can get for the money.

LisaJill  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 12:49 PM

It didn't ask for an id/pwd....

Thank you for that post. =) I noticed that it refreshes a few times, t here was no motion there at the emoment - so I just want to confirm it is s streaming rather than a meta or ftp refresh?

I will definitely have to look at that camera, it looks like it could definitely be a great option.

thank you so much for the response. =)

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 10:53 AM

I have it set for 15 frames/sec (it's adjustable from 1-20 or auto), but it does look like a still shot when nothing is moving.

LisaJill  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 12:33 PM

*grins* Of course... you can see a little bit that it's moving, it doesn't look like a perfect still. Camera's and air are a good mix?

thanks for sharing it with me; looks like a great solution. =)

Forum Links
Forum Rules