Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I did it! I got one.

I did it! I got one.
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2006, 07:55 AM

I got myself a new 15" PowerBook for Christmas. I got my wife a 12" and we are thrilled. I should have gotten one a long time ago. I am going to definately going to get more RAM. If anyone knows of any specials or good prices on DDR2 please let me know. I have looked at new egg and will most likely get it there. I also have a mouse but I was wondering if there is any must have or should have accessories that you think I should obtain? Is there anything that I should worry about as it is a PowerBook? Thanks in advance.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 09:10 AM

I got me one of these Timbuk2 laptop bags-- it fits the 15" perfectly, and is better-made than anything I looked at. Holds lots of extra stuff, too.

I also got me one of these external hard drives to use as a backup disk. You can use the Firewire version to boot from in an emergency, and it's compact & bus-powered, meaning no wall plug.

OWC also has pretty good prices on RAM. 1 GB per machine should do ya there.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2006, 11:56 PM

Check ramseeker.com for current comparisons of RAM prices from various vendors.
Consider getting AppleCare.
If it's a desktop replacement, consider getting an external keyboard and a stand (e.g. iCurve, but there are many, many options) to prevent injuries caused by poor ergonomic positioning inherent in prolonged laptop use.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 12:09 AM

Congrats on your purchase. The 15" is a great machine.

I have 1.5GB total RAM, which is more than enough for my purposes. I ordered this RAM from Newegg and haven't had any problems with it after about two months of use.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 12:14 AM

If your PB uses the same memory as a new iBook G4, I can sell you an extra 1 gb stick we have. My mother in-law ordered 2 on accident for my sisters new iBook. PM me if you're interested.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 12:24 AM

Oh BTW, I think the 12" uses DDR, not DDR2 memory. Double-check before you buy.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 12:55 AM

enjoy!!!
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 04:22 AM

If I had the 12" I might buy the ram from the iBook but it is for my wife and 512 is plenty for her. Is it PC 2700? I also do need the DDR(2) I want to get at least a 1 gig stick if not 2. I am going to be doing and learning programming. I am also going to be going to school as soon as I get back from Iraq. Thanks for all the responses. I deffinately need an external bus powered drive. Thanks.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules