Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini RAM into an iBook?

Mac Mini RAM into an iBook?
SSebeny
Feb 17, 2006, 05:56 PM

Hi All,

I just got a MacMini last week. The spec sites, like everymac.com, say that the MacMini RAM is "PC2700 DDR SDRAM." Yet when I opened up the MacMini and removed the RAM it said on the sticker that it is PC3200.

Now before I took the RAM out of the mini I posted a note elsewhere offering it for sale as PC2700. A guy said he'd take it, then showed up and didn't want it because it was PC3200. He said he had an iBook that was supposed to take PC2100, but he was told PC2700 would work OK, but he was unsure about PC3200.

I am just curious about all of this. When I machine says it takes PC2100 or PC2700 does that mean that the RAM need to be just that speed only? [It would seem not since Apple shipped PC3200 in the MacMini.] Or does it mean that it can take the spec speed or anything faster? [So the MacMini was able to accept the PC3200, and the iBook would be able to take the PC2700 or PC3200.] Or is there some reason an iBook rated for PC2100 would be able to take PC2700 and not PC3200?

Please let me know. Thanks!

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 06:26 PM

I the large majority of cases, the fast RAM will work in machines requiring slower speeds. (case in point, your Mac Mini utilizing PC3200 RAM when it really only requires PC2700).

However, this all doesn't really matter because the full-sized, 184-pin DDR ram that is in your Mac Mini will NOT fit in an iBook. The iBooks require 200-pin so-dimms.

Forum Links
Forum Rules