Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Directional Keys, need to mash them hard?

Macbook Directional Keys, need to mash them hard?
TacoBallZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 10:29 PM

Well, I just grabbed a MacBook 1.83 and I LOVE it. Or I want to love it...
The heat kinda scares me, but I guess I can live with it. I am not getting any kernel panics or anything. It idles about 60C and Max about 81C.

But the thing that is really pissing me off is the arrow keys. I thought maybe it was just me, but no. No... It can't be. The right arrow key does not respond to a normal tap, I pretty much have to mash it down before it registers. All the other keys will register a click even with the lightest touch.

I am within the grace period and am thinking about getting it exchanged. You think I am being too picky? I mean it was over a thousand bux of my heard earned cash. Or should I just deal with it. Any thought or comments appreciated.

Oh, and I found this out by trying to play doom with the arrows instead of WASD, and I was like WTF!
Thanks!

-Taco

TacoBallZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 11:34 AM

So I guess it's just me then. Hmm, OK.

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 11:50 AM

no it's not just you. i've noticed this too. especially the "down" arrow key. it's not as responsive as the number/letter keys. it happens in all programs, so i think it's a design issue.

i've downloaded sidetrack. you can use the side of the trackpad to scroll. yeah that annoyed the hell out of me, so now i just avoid punching it.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 12:00 PM

Mine seem to be fine. But like Maud, i installed sidetrack. I rarely use the direction keys.. Infact I think just now is the first time I tried them out.. They seem to work great. They're a little tiny, but I can't even remember what size they were on my iBook.

TacoBallZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the input. The only reason I found this problem was when I was playing classic DOOM, and I found that I wasn't turning right as easily as turning left. Ahwell, I will probably just change the controls to WASD.

mrpeachum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 05:10 PM

I had this problem and took it into my closest authorized service place (on my campus) and they just took the whole thing and gave me a new one. You can try this at the Apple store if it's been less than 10 days since you bought it. My new one has no problems!

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2006, 11:26 PM

The right arrow key on mine must be pressed harder than any of the other keys and it doesn't seem as quick to respond. Had noticed this a few days ago and am surprised to hear of your similar problem.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 11:41 PM

Mine seem fine.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

TacoBallZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 02:08 PM

I went to the applestore in Tucson, AZ and they said they would have replaced the keyboard or done a trade out if they had any left in stock, which they didn't...
But they gave me an incident # and would call me when a replacement was in stock.
I played with the other macbook keyboards in store and it seemed like 1 in 4 had a responsive issue for the right and down arrow keys.

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 03:16 PM

cool, taco, thanks for the info. i'm sure i could get it replaced too, but, really, it doesn't bug me enough to justify all the trouble and reinstalling all my programs.

TacoBallZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 05:47 PM

I just got called at lunchtime asking if I am ready to pickup my MacBook order, and I was like uhhh, no? I just want a repair, not buy a new one. After some time on hold while they "discussed" things, they said I can go in and just swap it out.

It sounds pretty drastic for a keyboard problem, but I it's getting frustrating when using iWeb and trying to nudge the object elements into place with the directional keys.

That was a fast turnaround time for the macbook tho, I wasnt expecting to get called for at least 7-10 days.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 05:48 PM

ten days?!?! basic applecare lasts longer than that...

TacoBallZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 06:22 PM

Well, maybe I didn't explain it right. Last Saturday the Apple Store in Tucson,AZ said that they couldn't do anything for my Macbook since they were all out of 1.83 Macbooks, and that they would call me when some new ones come in. It's only Tuesday and they got some. I find that amazingly fast for such a hot item. And Kudos to the Apple Store in Tucson

richpee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 01:57 AM

I also have a problem with the MacBook arrow keys. (white/2ghz) For me, it's the left arrow.

I have tested it thusly: I took the tip of my fingernail and pressed it down on the bottom edge of the left-arrow key. Nothing. I figure, well maybe I'm just not hitting it right. So I test it by hitting the left arrow lightly, but dead center. Better, but not perfect. Then I hit it firmly, dead center, and that gives the best results (though still not 100%)

I performed the same action on a number of the letter keys and I get that character shown on the screen, as designed. A feather-light pressing on the lower right corner of the A-key, for instance, types an "A."

I can't believe Apple would miss something like this in testing. FYI, I did find the following solution at macrumors. The poster said he's "fixed two keys this ways, they work fine so far..." I have not tried it though. He mentions .3mm using "round plate" and I'm not sure what he's talking about.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-207618.html
11-26-2006, 11:38 AM
SOLUTION:

1) Remove key
a) light up keyboard
b) slightly pull up the key from one side
b) Use needle to push on two plastic pins that are inserted into metal staples
c) Shift the key to the side opposite to these pins. It will be detached completely;

2) Glue some round plate to the center of back side of the key, thickness is about 0.3 mm. I used several layers of scotch tape to achieve desired thickness.

3) Insert the key back to keyboard. You will need deftness and patience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules