Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone elses palm rests getting dirty on the MacBook?

Anyone elses palm rests getting dirty on the MacBook? (Page 2)
mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Because as I mentioned ALL 6 in the applestore were showing the same thing but not as serious.

Were my eyeballs photoshoped?

No just burned out from reading too much FUD.

Yesterday, when I visited the Apple Store none of the white models had the brown discoloration. Granted they looked a little gnarly from use but so did the black model where which the matte finish appeared to have been worn down around the trackpad.

I suspect that the brown discoloration won't be widespread. Supposedly nail polish remover removes it so I expect it won't be an end-all.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 01:37 PM

Perhaps it is a chemical reaction to some creams or tanning lotions these people have on their hands.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 03:15 PM

I use zero creams and tanning lotion.
27" iMac C2D

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 03:29 PM

Wait for it... wait for it...

I'm glad I got black!

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Wait for it... wait for it...

I'm glad I got black!
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 04:10 PM

I'm glad I got black!
Tell me about it. This makes the black flaking reports look like a church picnic!
( Last edited by Socially Awkward Solo; Jun 14, 2006 at 04:37 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 12:21 AM

Tell me about it. This makes the black flaking reports look like a church picnic!
Funny how people got very quiet about the alleged 'black paint flaking' issue as soon as this pile of crap hit the fan.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 12:26 AM

So this is a black vs. white issue, huh?

Funny how there are people stating that their white books are just fine after 3 weeks of heavy use. Seems that like the black flaking paint issue that it's not as wide spread as the FUD would have you believe.
( Last edited by mathew_m; Jun 15, 2006 at 12:42 AM. )

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Funny how people got very quiet about the alleged 'black paint flaking' issue as soon as this pile of crap hit the fan.
Yeah well you still paid $150 for a black case.

Regardless if everyone's whitebooks start discoloring like the images that I have seen then Apple will either be issueing a major recall or be facing a major lawsuit. Either way you'll still be left with a Macbook that you paid a $150 premium for that will have shiny 'wet spots' all over it.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 12:44 AM

My BlackBook hasn't flaked at all. Not wearing down, either. A few smudges, though.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Wait till ya see how much a nice new white case is

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
No. I paid $150 for the high-contrast version Apple Logo

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Yes it is considering the old models never did that.

So can we consider a store display after 3 weeks about equal to one person using it for 6 months?
I would, yes. Your computer gets used for x hours per day. It gets closed up, moved about, but is generally used by one or two people, who have a vested interest in taking care of it since it's their money or their productivity that is on the line with that particular machine.

A store display is on and open probably 8-10 hours per day, constantly open, with tens (if not hunderds) or people trying it out, touching it, all with different body chemistries. Who knows what was on people's hands when they tried it out. This is why I use the discounted price to get extended warranties/service plans when I buy demo/display units--you just don't know what kind of use/abuse a display model has taken in the hands of people with the attitude "it's a display model, not the one I'm taking home with me."

Why this didn't happen with older models, I don't know. There may have been different materials in the casing, in which case ther is cause for concern with cheaper material being used, but I expect it to happen to display units.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr
I would, yes. Your computer gets used for x hours per day. It gets closed up, moved about, but is generally used by one or two people, who have a vested interest in taking care of it since it's their money or their productivity that is on the line with that particular machine.
OK cool, so the case has a cosmetic life of 6 months according to you. That's reasonable

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kadman
Jun 15, 2006, 11:13 PM

It's times like this when you get to see just how fanatically devoted some people are to Apple. It's pretty comical and somewhat pathetic to see just how far they will go in trying to convince you that Apple can do no wrong. Just as this isn't "damning" in the sense that theres a very good chance it will get addressed given how obvious it is, it's also not "fine", "expected", or "the user's fault" that something like this happens from normal usage.

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2006, 01:00 PM

Quick question, brought up on slashdot: for those of you who have this problem, do you smoke? Some have mentioned that it might be the nicotine?

I'm staring at my MacBook right now, don't smoke, no creams, nothing weird and I have absolutely no discoloration. Looks pretty much as flawless as the day I got it, which was 2 days after it was released :-) It's been in constant use since then as well!
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by jsnyder
Quick question, brought up on slashdot: for those of you who have this problem, do you smoke? Some have mentioned that it might be the nicotine?
From the reports of the owners of the MacBooks with the problems they are not smokers.

Kavik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2006, 04:30 PM

I'm really interested in purchasing a MacBook and this is the issue that has really scared me away from looking at the white models.

My biggest question is if this discoloration problem is global or limited to certain batches. The white Macbooks that I have played with have a very porous, almost rubbery plastic on the interior surfaces. Many have speculated that skin oils or sweat is reacting with this exterior coating to cause the discoloring, unlike normal dirt or soiling that occurs over time with any white plastic (like the iBooks which are typically easily cleaned).

There is a number of discussion threads on apple.com--including this one with over 263 replies and almost 40,000 hits!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....645&tstart=165

There is also a new website dedicated to the issue: www.stainedbook.info

wilsonng
Senior User
Jun 16, 2006, 06:02 PM

heh-heh-heh.... well the $150 difference between the white MB and the MB is starting to look like a bargain after all! ColorwarePC is now offering to customize your MB for $449 now...

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/...?configid=1228

Click on a color and then click "View Details" button to see how your MB looks like in a new color!

Just another company taking advantage of people's FUD with the black MB flaking and the orange palm wrists....
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kadman
It's times like this when you get to see just how fanatically devoted some people are to Apple. It's pretty comical and somewhat pathetic to see just how far they will go in trying to convince you that Apple can do no wrong. Just as this isn't "damning" in the sense that theres a very good chance it will get addressed given how obvious it is, it's also not "fine", "expected", or "the user's fault" that something like this happens from normal usage.
You're presupposing that this is actually a widespread problem. I bought my white Macbook in the Apple Store in Tysons Corner, VA, and the two white Macbooks on display there didn't have any yellowing of the palm rests. You'd think if the problem was so widespread, that the display machines, which get touched by people of every concievable body chemistry, would be affected very quickly.

reybart
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2006, 07:04 PM

No. I paid $150 for the high-contrast version Apple Logo
Yes, we have the same reason.

Kadman
Jun 16, 2006, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by rhashem
You're presupposing that this is actually a widespread problem. I bought my white Macbook in the Apple Store in Tysons Corner, VA, and the two white Macbooks on display there didn't have any yellowing of the palm rests. You'd think if the problem was so widespread, that the display machines, which get touched by people of every concievable body chemistry, would be affected very quickly.

I'm not presupposing anything. I'm simply stating that there are those that, no matter what the problem might be, immediately reject that it could ever be a problem with an Apple product. Does it have to be on a large percentage of the units for it to be something the company deals with? In fact, it seems that you are presupposing that it cannot be a manufacturing problem based on the fact that you've seen samples that were not affected. Again, all I'm saying is that problems can occur and they shouldn't be simply dismissed and the consumer blamed out of pure speculation (most of which has already been proven false).

jmmo20
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2006, 10:04 AM

People this is a real issue.
A few people gathered at Apple Discussions and our post was locked down and our user ID's revoked.

We made a website http://Stainedbook.info with information about this problem
You have quite a few photos from different people. It is also interesting to see the degree of damage in relation to time. Because I'm telling you, my macbook does look worse now than last Wednesday when I started the website.

A few points:

- I don't smoke
- I'm not a hypochondriac
- I don't like cheetos
- I wash my hands more than probably most of you. My jobs requires me to do so (biologist)
- No cleaning product works

Now, I ask you to go and visit the website, read the text and see the photos before you start making fun of us. We paid the same money than you, and we got a defective computer instead. And Apple refuses to even respond.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 12:47 PM

Two rectangular pieces of Avery transparent, self-adhesive laminating film will protect those areas from staining and watchband scratches. Just peel off and apply a new one every few months. Any adhesive residue comes off with rubbing alcohol.

TacoBallZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2006, 03:29 PM

JMMO, It's not the cheetos or nicotine... Since you are a biologist, I assume you are familiar with the Andromeda STAIN! It may have piggybacked on your skin on the way back from the lab.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself

jmmo20
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 04:22 AM

Andromeda stain.. i have no idea what you are talking about, but making fun of this serious issue sure does not help us.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by jmmo20
Andromeda stain.. i have no idea what you are talking about, but making fun of this serious issue sure does not help us.
Andromeda Strain was a 70s movie about a town of people being killed by some biological element. Maybe you've heard of a more recent movie called Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman. Same kind of deal, but Andromeda Stain works better.

[Edit]
Lighten up. The stain issue certainly sucks (hopefully my 12 hour old MacBook does not succumb) but a little levity never hurt anyone.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Guy Kuo
Two rectangular pieces of Avery transparent, self-adhesive laminating film will protect those areas from staining and watchband scratches. Just peel off and apply a new one every few months. Any adhesive residue comes off with rubbing alcohol.
You don't want to use rubbing alcohol on the rubbery stuff surfacing the MacBook. Eventually the alcohol will break it down, revealing whatever's underneath (as well as probably causing you uphill struggles if you need AppleCare service).
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User
You don't want to use rubbing alcohol on the rubbery stuff surfacing the MacBook. Eventually the alcohol will break it down, revealing whatever's underneath (as well as probably causing you uphill struggles if you need AppleCare service).

You aren't saying that the BLACK MacBooks are also gaving staining issues are you?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Guy Kuo
You aren't saying that the BLACK MacBooks are also gaving staining issues are you?
How can black "gaving" stained?

And no, some people just like to use alcohol to clean fingerprints.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 12:11 PM

How can black "gaving" stained?

And no, some people just like to use alcohol to clean fingerprints.
oops typo. Having.. not gaving.

The comment about alcohol on rubberized components was in reply to my usage of transparent Avery film. That would only be needed on the white MacBook where there isn't a ruberized surface.

TacoBallZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 03:35 PM

Andromeda Strain is classic Michael Crichton.. But yes, I am paranoid too. I have a white macbook and I am constantly watching the palm rests now for any sign of discoloration.
I was kinda like that about my first iPod (4g clickwheel) and scratching. But after a year I kinda gave up on trying to keep it perfect. However, discoloration within 3 weeks is a serious issue. Maybe if companies started using less eco-friendly hard plastics (I still blam the Space shuttle problems on eco-foam).
Ohwell, I have my microfiber towels and eyeglass cleaner doing teh trick for me right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules