Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Bought 5.5G, interface sluggish comapred to 4G

Bought 5.5G, interface sluggish comapred to 4G
TacoBallZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 04:30 PM

I just recently bought a 5.5G iPod with Video 80GB. I felt it was about time to upgrade from my 20GB 4G. However I am wondering if it's just the new larger screen or a slower harddrive, but it is SLOW compared to my 4G when navigating. I try to back up a couple of menus and there is a significant lag. Anyone know if this is typical for 5 and 5.5G? Or could mine be faulty and need to get it sent back to apple. It seems to work fine otherwise but I find it very frustrating.

Thanks for any assistance.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2006, 03:58 AM

I noticed a GUI lag on my new iPod nano (2G) too. It sucks.

TacoBallZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 12:44 AM

So... anyone know if this is common with 5 or 5.5 G? some people on iLounge suggested I turn off the equalizer. It sorta helped but that really doesn't fix the problem. Even with the EQ off scrolling acts more like a frame by frame slideshow

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 12:50 AM

It takes like 30 seconds for the iPod to play a song when I hit shuffle songs on the main menu. (5.5G 80GB) This SUCKS, I thought it was b/c of the large hard drive, which supposedly uses the new style of storage technology (vertical storage on the platters or some technical jargon). I guess this is affecting the smaller pods too? Then when I'm going through the shuffled songs, I just pause and FFWD through, b/c if I let it stay on 'Play' and FWD through the songs, it takes AGES.....not cool.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 11:00 AM

Hey - mine's slow too! I went from 3G 15GB > 5.5G 80GB and it's killing me. Literally 6 secs to get it playing when I hit "Shuffle Songs." I'm thinking about selling and getting a Nano in hopes that the Flash memory will result in a faster GUI.

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 14, 2006, 06:17 PM

Hmm.. I just upgraded to the 30GB 5.5G from a 30GB 4G, and it doesn't feel less responsive at all. It feels quite snappy and nice. Do you think maybe the 30GB 5.5G is less laggy than the 80GB?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 11:41 PM

I noticed the same thing today as well after enabling shuffle songs and EQ. Meanwhile, I went from 5G 60GB > 5.5G 30GB. It's fully charged and in room temperature. On the other hand, my red 4GB iPod acts slightly better.

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 11:05 PM

I've also noticed with approx 2 GB left, it occassionaly makes VERY LOUD fluttering hard disk noises. I'm talking...it can be sitting on my desk and I easily hear it clunking and fluttering. It has happened three times so far. Is this something that is common with the new vertical bit storage hard drives? I would hope the drive isn't failing after 2 months...

TacoBallZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 02:01 PM

I've asked a couple Apple Store employees about it and they said they are aware of some sluggishness, but not to the extent I was experiencing. They assumed I had the iPod filled to the top with music, nothing could be further from the truth. I have less than 1GB used on it so far. I think I will just see if I can get it exchanged.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 04:32 PM

The 5G and 5.5G seems slower than my 4G 20Gb to me.

Gordio
Nov 28, 2006, 06:23 PM

eh..that might explain why theres more battery life length even with a brighter screen.

duo2999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 07:23 PM

The interface on the 5.5G iPod seems fine to me. When I first got mine, I did notice some type of lag when going through menus. But I got used to it and now i dont notice it after a few months. My last iPod (4G) was faster with the menus though.

moldyapples
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 08:05 PM

My 5G 60GB (1 year old) is very sluggish navigating the menus and scrolling while a song is playing. If I pause the song, navigation is much faster.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 11:09 PM

With my Windows computer I defragmented one of my iPods and it appeared to be much more responsive.

StickClicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 09:25 PM

Ben has the right idea, I've done that and it helped a ton. But yeah out of the box compared to my 3G the 5.5 was very sluggish.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2006, 06:16 AM

since I started putting a lot more content on my 30gb it seems really slow. Like you select a song to play and then press menu a few times and you are waiting a few seconds for it to return to the apporpriate pages!!

as for defraging it#!?!FR%Y^%

Im not even going to try it especially not with my shiny ipod!!

TacoBallZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 04:49 PM

Another strange behavior is that the harddrive seems to make a lot of random spin up and spin down noises, like it's in the middle of a read and then *clink* it slams to a stop. Is that common? Doesn't seem to affect what I am doing at the time but it is very disheartening.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2006, 02:31 AM

apple needs to slow down on their "features". most people just want a music player. it's gonna be worse with the iphone. i'm not a troll.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 01:45 PM

I have to say I'm really disappointed with my 5.5G iPod with Video 80GB.

I'd noticed pretty early that there was lag with the controls. I also noticed that in video mode the iPod crashed often; probably around one in ten times, when I tried to play a different video. It may not seem a lot, but I think it shouldn't crash at all when performing functions it's designed, made and sold to do!

As it happens, I had to go to an Apple Service Centre here in Hong Kong, to collect my G4 Powerbook battery replacement, so I asked the girl serving me about it. She'd suggested I should restore the iPod, and see how I got on, as they didn't have any replacement 80GB in (it was within the first week of launch) even if I had wanted to exchange it. At least I know they would have exchanged it.

Well, I guess I've been too lazy to restore it, and just continued to use it with delay and crashes! Then, a couple of days ago, the unit failed completely. It won't reset nor respond when plugged into the charger or my Powerbook. I'm taking it back for an exchange. I'll let you know if I have any problems with the replacement.
( Last edited by Crouching Donkey; Dec 4, 2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling)
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2006, 05:21 AM

I wouldnt say I am disappointedbut they could do a little bit of work on it to makeit run faster.

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 06:36 AM

Guys, have you tried optimizing album artwork on your iPod?

Once plugged in, disable the "display artwork on iPod" option, after a while, check that option again, then your artwork will be optimized. Hope this helps?

Mine is still lagging a tiny bit.
we are all part of a masterplan.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ashleyman View Post

as for defraging it#!?!FR%Y^%

Im not even going to try it especially not with my shiny ipod!!
Because defragging a hard drive after you fill it with information and use it for awhile is a completely new concept and is known to destroy drives.

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 11:47 AM

I got my 80GB replaced, and I've been using it for the last couple of days. I'm glad to report that the problems I found with the previous one, hasn't so far surfaced.

No menu lag, nor skip lag; only the couple of seconds it takes for the HD to be read. Basically, the same as my 4G Ipod photo.
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

macjakob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 06:02 AM

Does the new iPod update (1.2.1) solve this issue?

Forum Links
Forum Rules