Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem With Apple Mail

Problem With Apple Mail
crowe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2015, 01:56 PM

First of all I got a new iMac on Tuesday and I am in fits of joy with how it works and Yosemite OS,,,,so far. However, yesterday I synched Google mail to my Apple mail and suddenly got a torrent of mail that I had not even seen on my old Mac and that email client which was "Postbox". In any event I got 486 emails all of a sudden and was in the midst of deleting them when the Apple mail froze, Now it is ON at all times with no mail window showing and I cannot QUIT the client nor see its window in the Finder or any other place. It just sits in the Dock with the black dot under it and right click Ouit has no affect on it. It is probably something I did by deleting as fast as I did but, never-the-less I am without email. Looking for a fix. It shows in the top bar as it should but most of the dropdown menus are not active. The basics are that I cannot quit the email at all and don't want to go any further with the email without knowing what I;m doing. Everything else works perfectly.

I just saw that I posted this in the wrong topic. Move it to the applications topic if you will.
( Last edited by crowe; Jan 22, 2015 at 04:37 PM. )

crowe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2015, 05:57 PM

This Post is resolved. Apple Support straightened me out and everything is now fine. crowe

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2015, 08:01 AM

Can you fill us in on what the issue - and the fix - was?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

crowe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2015, 12:43 PM

Certainly, I had forgotten about the entry under the Apple icon that says "Force Quit". It had been so long since I had an app. problem I had forgotten that all I needed to do was force quit and restart. The problem was associated with my trying to delete a lot of messages in a staccato fashion and I overwhelmed the app. causing it to freeze. The tech also told me that the method to get rid of a lot of mail from the same originator was to go down the list to the first one in a series and "shift"> "click" on that one and it would highlight the ones above from that originator and then delete the whole bunch at once. Then, repeat until I got them all out. Worked like a charm and no more problems. There were 486 of them from my Google+ acct. that had remained on my server since last year and never come through on my old mail client. Problem solved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules