Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook power cords

powerbook power cords
dayak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 12:44 PM

Just out of curiosity- How many new powerbook and Ibook users have had to replace faulty powercords? I am referring to the glow in the dark two part cords on the latest versions of the p' and i' books. Mine recently failed, after only a couple of months of use, and as this was also the case with my previous three apple laptops (5300ce, g3 wallstreet, and g4 400)--- is this a wide-spread problem or was i just an unlucky user.
thanks for any feedback.....

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2002, 02:22 PM

my tibook 667 power cord is working fine since getting it early last Nov. My wallstreet 292's cord worked fine, and the one they sent in the recall also continues to work sans problems.

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 04:25 PM

Have both a new Ti667 power cord and a yo-yo replacement for a WallStreet. Both working fine.
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 06:48 PM

What is this glow-in-the-dark thing you refer to? My AC adapter does get pretty hot actually but appears to be working. I got mine last October......

bugs
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 08:58 PM

My Ti667 power cord seems OK, but it sure puts out a shocking charge! I don't recomment licking your plug or your TiBook when its plugged in.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

oeyvind
Senior User
Apr 4, 2002, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by bugs:
<STRONG>My Ti667 power cord seems OK, but it sure puts out a shocking charge! I don't recomment licking your plug or your TiBook when its plugged in.</STRONG>
To lessen the shocking effect... try attaching some firewire or USB device to your Mac (grounding via those devices).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 6, 2002, 08:19 PM

If you're having so many AC adapters fail (I deduce that that's what you're talking about, not the actual power cord), perhaps you have really "dirty" power. Maybe using a really heavy duty surge bar with isolation (try an Isobar by Tripp-Lite) or a UPS (APC, Belkin or MGE are all good) will help.

tooki

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2002, 01:02 AM

I *think* what the original poster is referring to is the orange-green LED system in the new power adapters. My iBook 600 Combo came with one of these adapters that stopped turning orange to indicate charging. It still charged up the battery okay, but I just lost the visual indication that charging was happening...the adapter always glowed green.

I brought the thing to an Apple retail store and the genius there told me that Apple didn't consider this to be a "functional" defect and therefore wouldn't replace it. I argued with him about it and eventually got him to give me an adaptor off one of the display iBooks that was obviously still "functioning".

The funny thing is, he also made some kind of service report in the computer system. A week later a box arrived at my home with *another* AC adaptor without any indication that I was supposed to return a defective one.

So now I have two adaptors that are both *still* functioning for now. If you go look at the Apple discussions pages, there are literally hundreds of posts on this same topic. Sooner or later, Apple is going to have to make some sort of change.

twenty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2002, 12:28 PM

Hello: I am also having trouble with my power book AC adapter...could you please provide a link to the place mentioned by another poster here where the posts referred to below are listed.

"If you go look at the Apple discussions pages, there are literally hundreds of posts on this same topic. Sooner or later, Apple is going to have to make some sort of change."

thanks for the help..
everything looks big thru a microscope

Forum Links
Forum Rules