Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > the death of mac MSIE

the death of mac MSIE
Lint
May 13, 2000, 11:05 AM

well its been pretty much confirmed the IE 5 we have now is what we got. I doubt that there will be any bugfixes to it either *bah* My personal speculation is that all mac products from MS will suffer a quick death sooner than later. mark my words we are gonna see a "renewed focus on our core market" statement from MS.

HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2000, 02:07 PM

MacInTouch has been follwoing this story. Any one have anything to add? Time to help Netscape build the best Mac browser? Mozilla.org?

Alex

Mike P.
May 15, 2000, 12:05 AM

I think it's high time that Apple puts together another browser. Just imagine how cool it would be if on the OS X cd, there was an install of a fully-featured, totally customizable, fast as hell, stable, standards-compliant, apple-branded web browser/ftp client.

bluesea
May 15, 2000, 01:38 AM

Apple's good but not that good (sorry). If they haven't started yet then we have a loooong wait.

HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2000, 07:47 AM

Why start again? Just help finish mozilla.

Alex

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 15, 2000, 02:11 PM

AHEM...

"During today's WWDC keynote, Microsoft will demonstrate Internet Explorer for Mac OS X, highlighting several cutting-edge, features that take full advantage of the new operating system. More details on IE for Mac OS X will be provided at Apple's Hot News and Microsoft's MacTopia site later today."

taken from MacNN's frontpage moments ago...

MacOS761
Senior User
May 15, 2000, 03:51 PM

Seems M$ had a "different" kind of core market they were focusing on! And they'd better, in case we see Macrosoft, Inc. and Windows OS, Inc. soon. Bwah-ha-ha!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
May 15, 2000, 06:57 PM

Lon, Internet Explorer will be get the media toolbar and will be carbonized, but that is it. Internet Explorer for Mac is dead.

From MacInTouch:

"The wording in that PR release you got is eerily similar to a message Irving Kwong (MS PR) posted to the MacIE-Talk list earlier. Note the careful wording in that message. Technically it's true that they are still working on Mac IE because there will be at least one more release which uses the Carbon APIs. So, even though it's pretty much done and being held for the OS X release, the team is _technically_ still working on it on the side. That release will also include the media toolbar that got yanked at the last minute due to licensing issues. But that's the end of the line. No 5.5, no 6.0. Glad to finally get this off my chest."

http://www.macintouch.com/newsrecent.shtml

Forum Links
Forum Rules