Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Triangular Applescript???

Triangular Applescript???
immsav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 04:54 PM

I'm new to Applescript (to Apple, really), and there might be a really simple way to do what I'm trying to do, but I haven't been able to figure it out or find it on the web:

When browsing with Finder in list-view, I sometimes would like to expand all of a folder's subdirectories without having to "turn" each subdirectory's triangle to view its contents.

Is there a small program or Applescript that can accomplish this task? It would be neat if you could set the number of levels deep you'd like to see, but maybe that's asking for too much...

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jacob

bewebste
Senior User
Apr 20, 2003, 05:30 PM

There is terminology in the Finder for this, there are two properties of the container class, "expandable" and "expanded", that you could use. However, these are marked in the dictionary as being unimplemented as of 10.2.5, so it looks like there's no way to do this right now. You can always option-click a triangle in order to expand the entire contents of a folder recursively, though.

suthercd
Senior User
Apr 20, 2003, 05:56 PM

Thought about your idea. You now can expand a sudirectory with a click. If you had an Applescript, you would have to double click to run it or have a key assigned with a utility program.

Maybe it could be done, but it is more "work" and would take longer for the script to load and run. Plus scripting an action that is part of the GUI is possile but not perfect.

Think up another one to try- or hopefully someone else can prtovide a way to do this.

HTH

Craig

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by immsav:
When browsing with Finder in list-view, I sometimes would like to expand all of a folder's subdirectories without having to "turn" each subdirectory's triangle to view its contents.

Is there a small program or Applescript that can accomplish this task? It would be neat if you could set the number of levels deep you'd like to see, but maybe that's asking for too much...
If you option-click on the triangle, it will open all subdirectories. Is this close enough?

immsav  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 08:21 PM

I wasn't aware of the option-click option. That works fine!

Thanks all who responded.

--Jacob

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 08:48 AM

/me tries to envision what a triangular AppleScript looks like and go mad in the process.

Forum Links
Forum Rules