Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PDA Suggestions

PDA Suggestions
m_brand0
Apr 29, 2003, 08:54 PM

So I'm looking for a good PDA and I'm not sure where to go. I'm very interested in the new Tungsten C because of its WiFi capabilities and the keyboard. Can any PDAs sync up with OS X's mail program? I'd love to check my email at a Starbucks and upload it to my computer later. So what's everybody using out there?

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 09:00 PM

I just use a plain old Visor Neo, but it suits my needs. I have the wireless card in the expansion slot, so it works out. I don't like to carry around really expensive stuff in really small packages (see: tungsten C). If I lose the Neo, I'm not out $500-- just about $100.

Nate
-.-
12" SuperDrive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2003, 09:16 PM

I don't think any PDAs sync with Mail in particular, although if you had WIFI syncing wouldn't be necessary -- just send and receive on the device itself.

vsurfer
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by dettociao:
I just use a plain old Visor Neo, but it suits my needs. I have the wireless card in the expansion slot, so it works out. I don't like to carry around really expensive stuff in really small packages (see: tungsten C). If I lose the Neo, I'm not out $500-- just about $100.

Nate
How much the monthly wireless plan on that if you don't mind me asking?

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by vsurfer:
How much the monthly wireless plan on that if you don't mind me asking?
It's actually just an 802.llb compliant card-- so it's free when connected to my University's network. Sorry, didn't mean to imply I had some kind of GSPRS (or whatever that acronym is) plan.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

m_brand0  (op)
Apr 29, 2003, 10:41 PM

Icruise: I wouldn't want to answer email on a PDA when I have access to my laptop. I can type much faster on a full-size keyboard. So something that would sync up to a mail program would be ideal. You can do this on a PC, why not on a Mac?

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by m_brand0:
Icruise: I wouldn't want to answer email on a PDA when I have access to my laptop. I can type much faster on a full-size keyboard. So something that would sync up to a mail program would be ideal. You can do this on a PC, why not on a Mac?
Because M$ won't release it for Entourage... argh....
-.-
12" SuperDrive

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Apr 29, 2003, 11:12 PM

Actually, there are conduits to sync to Entourage. I've used it on my Clie, and it worked like a charm.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOA...X/palmsync.asp

I'm not sure if iSync allows for synching to Mail, but it does for Address Book and iCal.

--jonas

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2003, 11:24 PM

I still don't understand your point. As long as you have the palm set not to delete the messages on the server, you will get all the same emails that you have on your Mac on the palm. So you can type your emails on your Mac when you are at your Mac and read them on the Palm when you are away. Is this different from what you want to do?

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 01:53 AM

You can. You just need to look a little harder. Mail conduit. If you get the TC, I think that the version of versamail will work (it's new, but it could still work). Also, why don't you just set up versamail to connect to your email account and leave the messages on the server. Isn't that what you would want? Either way would work well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules