Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport & XBox Live together

Airport & XBox Live together
m_brand0
Dec 29, 2003, 08:11 PM

I recently purchased X-Box Live and I also have Airport wireless networking installed. I want both to be able to run together without having to switch out the ethernet cable. What solutions are available for this? I'm looking for a cheap option here. Luckily, the Airport and XBox are in the same entertainment unit so that won't be a problem. I asked the guys at Best Buy but they understand Macs about as well as they understand Sanskrit..

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

- Keith
[email protected]

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 09:37 AM

From your DSL or Cable modem connect to a cable router (one with a built in switch is easiest). If it doesn't have a built in switch you will need a small four port hub or switch. Connect the router to this. From there, connect the ABS and the Xbox.

You can get a cable router for peanuts now and it will work fine with Live.
iMac therefor iAm

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2004, 08:25 PM

I have the same problem (can't get it to work)--but the xbox in question is in my son's room along with his computer. We run many computers, including his, off airport. Isn't there a way to connect the xbox to the internet by simply connecting it to the computer using ethernet cable? If not, there should be. Our server is no help at all, and retreated to "we don't do networks" rather quickly. Argh. We don't even use a router, but we have one. Could we use the router between the computer and the xbox? Or is there another device we could get to solve this problem? I do not want to have to reconnect our entire network everytime the kid wants to play. Or worse--come home to the mess that is left after he tries to do it himself and messes things up. And are there certain cables needed, crossovers or not, that sort of thing? Help.

m_brand0  (op)
Jan 3, 2004, 11:39 PM

ssshunt - In theory a router should work although the Best Buy guy told me all that I needed was a $29.99 switcher. I'm going to head down to Best Buy this week and pick up the low cost solution and report back.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2004, 12:09 PM

Unfortunately, BestBuy has a very uneven record in getting and keeping knowledgable help. The problem is magnified when you start talking about hardware they don't sell, like Macs.

If the objective is to share an Internet connection with your AirPort wireless network and the XBox, and to do it inexpensively, your options are pretty straightforward-buy a router.

In your case, the easiest way is to put the router between your broadband modem and the AirPort base, with the base plugged into one of the router's LAN ports and the XBox plugged into another LAN port. The modem goes to the WAN port on the router. You should also turn off the DHCP server in your AirPort base, since in this configuration it's only acting as a wireless bridge.

Cost wise you could be talking about a little more money. BestBuy has the well-established Linksys BEFSR41 for $59, while OfficeMax has a DLink DI-604 router for $39.98 (after a $10 instant rebate) with a $20 mail-in rebate-final cost is 19.98. That leaves you with enough spare change to buy a new ethernet cable for the XBox (you can get them in XBox-radioactive-green if you look around).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2004, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info, but I still need help. (sorry) I wouldn't say that money is no object, but I have a bit saved up for this. We have to be able to use all our computers online, so using the Airport as a wireless bridge wouldn't work. (We run a home business.) Are there wireless bridges out there that could transfer the airport signal to the xbox without having to be plugged into the router or hub? Or that can be plugged in but send the signal to my son's emac, on the second floor? In other words, I am looking for a way to keep the kid and his xbox in his room, have it work, and still have access to all of our computers anytime. And all of it done wirelessly. Running a wire to his room will be way past hard. That's why we love Airport. So is there a not so cheap way to do this? All I want is for it to work and the kid to be happy and then maybe I can sleep. Nothing worse than a disappointed teenager who knows everything. His advice so far is, "You just plug it into the thing. Jeez, you are so stupid."

We did connect the xbox and his computer with an ethernet cable, and it did everything except configure the DHCP stuff automatically, and our server says that since it's now all done automatically, why, they couldn't give us DNS info or anything like that (maybe they smell a network). But it (the wireless bridge) feels possible. Or am I really stupid and don't know from plugging that thing into the other thing?

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2004, 04:57 PM

Better half suggests I ask this: Is it possible to use the kid's emac, which has both an Airport card and ethernet port as the wireless bridge, and if so, what cable would we need? Or other bells and whistles? Thanks for listening.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2004, 06:49 PM

Is the point to have the XBox wireless? That's pretty simple and not terribly expensive. You can get various wireless bridges from Linksys, DLink and so on for around $100. They are configured via a browser, so there's no platform-specific software to worry about. I wouldn't go with Microsoft's wireless adapter, though, since it's just recently come out and these things tend to have bugs in their first incarnations.

The configuration I described would not hamper any computer's access to the Internet. In fact it would give you a little added security from having another hardware layer between your computers and the bad guys on the Internet. It's pretty common to install an ABS after a router, anyway, since it gives you a few wired ports, everything uses the same DHCP server, and there's less work for the ABS (the router handles Network Address Translation, DHCP, and all the rest of the non-wireless overhead. I should have probably mentioned getting a LONG ethernet cable instead of just a cool, color-matched one, but that was the idea.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2004, 09:11 PM

I'm sorry, but I need further clarification. Think of this as Airport and xbox live for Dummies. I have the following questions, starting with the dumbest.

1. Does ABS mean Airport base station?
2. I need a wireless bridge--which one? The brands you listed offer many products and site searches were not helpful.
3. Where does the wireless bridge hook up? Between the kid's eMac and the xbox, or into the Airport station (ABS?), or somewhere else?
4. When you mentioned the long cable instead of the short cool one, I thought, 'do we still need to run a cable to the kid's room?' Outside we have 3 feet of snow, and inside we have a small spiral staircase that will make this very difficult. So, was that a comment, or is it necessary? (Told you about the dummie that is me.)
5. Since the eMac has an Airport card, and an ethernet port (that is not being used because of the glories of Airport) why can't the eMac serve as a wireless bridge? I know, that would be too easy. Or logical.
6. In case nothing works, do you have Mr. Gates' phone number? Not like I would be, like, cranky or anything.

I have not mentioned routers because Comcast (our server) has sudenly stopped "supporting " networks. And right about that time our router stopped working. So that's why we run the cable straight into the Airport. I fear this is the beginning of the end, and they will soon stop offering "secondary accounts/mailboxes" for 5 bucks a month, and demand that evey computer user pay up in full.

Thank you so much for helping me and being so nice. May you reap crowns in heaven, or luck in the lottery, or whatever. Thanks.

cantona7
Jan 5, 2004, 09:39 AM

would this not do the trick???

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...essadapter.htm

i don't use one of these myself. i do however use xbox live through an ABS (you are correct) but i have a small network switch (linksys) between the two as i have other macs that need network connections (they have no airport cards in them).

John Strung
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 11:33 AM

A LinkSys WET11 Wireless Bridge should do the trick. Plug the XBox into the WET11 and the WET11 will connected it wirelessly to your wireless network.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 5, 2004, 06:56 PM

1-ABS is AirPort Base Station.

2-Both the Linksys WET11 and D-Link DWL810 are products that would work for you.
3-The wireless bridge is connected to the ethernet port on the XBox.

4-I said that before I understood that the goal was a wireless XBox. Wired is almost always simpler to set up than wireless, but not always simpler to fit into your living space.

5-I'd stay away from using the eMac because you'd have to use connection sharing, which doesn't always play well with XBox (and sometimes not well with Macs).

6-Depending on what router you have, it's probably stopped working because Comcast hates you. Actually, they can disable connections to network devices they don't want to support by selectively denying connections to specific network card addresses-and your router effectively has a network card. Depending on the brand and model, though, we can probably talk you around that: most routers allow you to report any network card address you want, instead of the one it came with. If the Comcast modem is working with a particular computer connected to it, you can basically tell most routers to use that address and (as Olly said to Stan) "no one will be the wiser."

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 03:18 PM

Glenn,

I did not mean to offend. I am just wiped out trying to figure this out, and my wonky brain said, look, he said wireless, and then, oh oh, he said long cable. You very obviously know what you're doing. I'm picking up the LINKSys WET 11 tomorrow, and hope this works. I have no choice about the eMac, since that is the kid's machine. Hopefully it will work well enough most of the time. I not, I may be back.

My kid is drooling over the ad on this page, Virtual PC for Mac. He sees these ads and then thinks, why then I could run windows and play all the cool PC games! I have no idea how this really works, though I can do research, but has anyone tried this?

Thanks again so much.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2004, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by ssshunt:
Glenn,

I did not mean to offend. I am just wiped out trying to figure this out, and my wonky brain said, look, he said wireless, and then, oh oh, he said long cable. You very obviously know what you're doing.
I wasn't offended, I just wanted to address your questions as well as I could. As I said, I got confused about what you were actually interested in doing.

Since you are going with the WET11, the XBox will have the same sort of wireless connection as the eMac-it won't be running off of it, but rather it will connect wirelessly to the base station. One less level of complexity is a good thing here.

And I'd still like to help you with your router, if for nothing more than to tweak Comcast's nose. In today's market, saying "we don't support networks" is kind of like saying "we sell cars, but we're not interested in selling tires with them." As long as you don't go reselling your connection, it shouldn't mean a thing to them to have more than one computer on that drop. GRRR! Ok, I'm done with being mad at a cable company...for now. But if you need/want help with your router, let us know what brand it is and we'll see what we can do for you.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Glenn. It's easy to get confused even when you resort to emoticons. I'm a writer, and the lack of clarity bugs me; then again, I write fiction, so I tend to digress and wandering around what I'm trying to say instead of just saying it.

I love the idea of running an end around Comcast. I knew they were bs-ing me. It was the dead silence on the phone when I tried to push the issue that gave them away. I'll get back to you with the router specs. Thanks so much for letting me know there's a way around this. And it's nice to have a connection to One Who Knows These Things. About Macs. I plan to dig around the forums to learn as much as I can.

Shelley

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2004, 09:16 PM

Take your time and enjoy wandering through our forums (fora? fori?). I have learned far more here than I ever thought I would, and have had the pleasure of passing on some of that to help people out. It's a 'warm fuzzy' kind of feedback when someone says "I can do what I wanted now because you helped me." You just gave me another one.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 12:14 AM

Want more feel good moments? I need help, please, oh please. I got the D Link wireless bridge, and have spent the entire day trying to get it to work. The message is always that the DNS is not getting through, check with your provider, etc. But Comcast will not give me the DNS. Tech support there says "but we configure automatically through DHCP (0r DCHP, can never remember) and gee whiz I couldn't give you the DNS server even if I wanted to because I just can't pull it up on my machine."

Then at the xbox site I see that some people are having trouble connecting with Comcast--gee, what a surprise. So I go to the Comcast page where it's supposed to tell me what services I can and can't have, and I can have all the services, according to the site. These people are evil. And the xbox site lists all sorts of "extras" that work with Comcast and xbox, but my DLink isn't one of them, and they all looked to be routers anyway, and there was no mention of wireless connections. Is this the only place on the internet where people have heard of wireless connections? More Comcast fun--when I tried to explain that we are on an Airport network, she said, "whoa, that's way too techie for us here." Really. Maybe she thought planes were flying overhead?

Two questions: How do I get the xbox to recognize the freaking DNS? (I already realized the browser was old, and updated it, and have configured the computer and the bridge exactly the way it says to for Macs on both the DLink site and in the manual.) What am I missing?

And, what the heck is "gateway?" The xbox wants the gateway. You can only enter numbers, so the gateway must be a number. And get this, the xbox live support guy had never heard of a "gateway." Any suggestions out there?

The latest message says we must change the IP adresses on the computer and the xbox so they match. Of course, it says this after the kid came in and told me he "messed around" with the configurations. But maybe this message will ring a bell? I would appreciate any help at all. It should work.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 01:43 PM

My som has pointed out that the emoticon looks like it's poking you with its middle finger. I do not mean this. Gasp! No, I just keep bugging you alot. Hence the poking of the stick (my son says Not a stick), but he's 13 and, as we have established, evil.

Last night the kid went through all the network settings in the xbox, clicked on "wireless" in the advanced network settings, and was told a wireless device cold not be detected. Could it be that this puppy (DLink bridge) will not work with xbox and airport?

This is me when I take it back:

John Strung
Senior User
Jan 8, 2004, 03:50 PM

The setup program or admin utility in most routers will tell you in the "status" section what your DNS numbers are. I haven't used Airport, but I assume the Airport setup program has the facility to do this.

If you are using an XBox connected to a DLink bridge, the XBOX should NOT be set to Wireless. It is connecting to the bridge using Ethernet. The XBox has no idea that there are any wireless connections involved. All the wireless connectivity is handled by the bridge. As far as the XBox is concerned, it is connecting using Ethernet.

Before connecting the XBox to the Dlink, I would suggest you connect one of your Macs or PC's to the DLink and make sure you have wireless connectivity. You might have to do some setting up of the DLink through its admin program and this will have to be done through a Mac or PC. Once you have set up the DLink to communicate wireless from one of your computers, it should be plug and play with the XBox.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 05:10 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I just spent over an hour on the phone with DLink support, and we managed to get all the right numbers in the right places, but when we tried to go to the site in the bridge where you run the wizard, it would not connect. So we pinged it (of course the bridge was connected to the computer), and we got nothing back. 100% Loss of data.

So we conected it to another computer, and tried to access the bridge, and still could not. After an hour of being bumped from one person to another, the senoir tech person said, uh, I don't think this model works. I said, it's supposed to work with this computer, your site says so, and he said, no, I mean this bridge is bad. So now I'm taking the bridge back to CompUSA and they WILL refund my money or else. But what to try now?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 8, 2004, 06:25 PM

I'll bet a new D-Link bridge works fine and youll be very happy. However, if you still have problems with a new D-Link, Linksys' WET11 should do what you want as well. If they can't give you a D-Link bridge you can trust, you can try the Linksys model.

There isn't any real magic in these boxes, it's just that there are a lot of settings that they need. They're like the wireless card in your computer, except they don't get all the setting information from the computer without your help.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 08:49 PM

Ya know, Glenn, I'm starting to get a small handle on what some of the mysterious numbers and gizmos in the computer is/are for. Like the 80211B (man I hope I got that right) standard Airport thingy. Woo hoo. At this rate, maybe I'll answer someones else's question sometime. Hmm. Nah. Will report back.

Hey I called the local Mac whizzes and asked for their recommendations, and mentioned the "ABS," and he said, what's that, and I felt so superior. For a small moment. They had not a clue about anything. The moment passed.
I will keep on with the trying. Good luck to everyone else caught in this fun, fun thing that is xbox live. Am very tired...

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 06:37 PM

To Glenn and all,
We got this wild idea of conecting the old router between the computer and the xbox. I mean, I don't mind wires if I just run them from one machine to another in his room, you know? And then we thought, what if we plug the xbox into the comcast modem, run the install, write down all the right numbers, take the xbox back to kid's room, and enter data manually. We got everything going, but when it tried to connect to xbox live, a message came back: "Xbox live is not responding. Perhaps you should try again later." Perhaps?

So then I tried to get online on my son's comuper, and it would not. So, smelling a comcast rat, I unplugged the router from the computer, and then could go online, no problem.

I am still going out to buy the WET 11 bridge. But here is all the router info I could find. We have an Asante router, could not find model number, but it is a nearly opaque blue/gray, about 8 in by 4 and 1/2 inches, says 'Link Ability / 100 Mbps" right above the lights, and has 8 lights (well, they're lights under the surface of the plastic case, but they light up and you can see them easily), and the lights are labeled, from left to right, power, 1, 2, 3, 4, WAN, Printer, COM and Status. In the back, there are connections for 'Com" and "printer," both many pinned plug in jobbies, , and then there are5 ethernet ports, WAn and 4, 3, 2, 1, and the DC adapter hole, and the adapter output is 12VDC 1.2A.

I hope that helps. Is there a way to connect this router to the kid's computer and hide it from comcast? Would putting a router between his computer and the xbox work at all? Or do they always have to be connected directly to the modem and then to other things? Duh. And what is a switcher, how would it work with a Mac, and would it be of any help?

I may be wrong about all this, but at least I'm thinking more than "Push button, lights come on!" about my computer now. The only thing good about everything going wrong is that you learn so much more about your computer than you thought you needed to know...last night I dreamed about my IP address.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 07:24 PM

Here's the model # the Asante router: FR3004LC.

In the past we had DSL and it was unpredictable and not very fast, cable has been much faster. But now the Comcast cable service is hit and miss, and we never zip along at the speeds we should be at, and I know no one goes the highest speed all the time, but at times our service crawls. To the DSL users out there--how does it work with Xbox? Is it a fast enough connection to play the games the way they are supposed to be played. Just wondering. Hating Comcast.

We have tried to change the router's adress, but as we don't have static IP adresses, how can this work? Comcast will smell a router and wham, we go offline. Or not? Is there another router out there that we could use as a bridge between computer and xbox and still fool comcast? Someone at the Comcast site said he changed the 100 Mbps to 10 mbps, and that it worked. I don't know from this. But how do I get into a router to reconfigure it at all? Can't figure it out anywhere in system prefs or hardware.

I so dread buying another bridge.

As usual, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2004, 08:04 PM

Here's the router's manual. On page 17 it shows you how to set up your Mac to communicate directly with the router-for setup purposes (you probably won't need that). Open your browser and enter 192.168.123.254 in the address field. The router setup screens should open in your browser (page 21). Now select the "Advanced" button, which will take you to the Advanced configuration section of the setup. There, you have a button labeled "Copy MAC address" (page 41). Here's where the manual lets you down: it doesn't really tell you what to do with this button, but refers you to page 38 and section 7.5. Rotten tech writers!

Here's what it appears you need to do. When you click the "Copy" button, it should give you a screen like on page 38, where you can select (or enter) a computer's MAC address. This is on the label on the bottom/back of your computer (depends on which Mac you have) and is called the "hardware address." It's six, hexadecimal pairs (two characters that range from 0-9 and a-f or A-F) Whichever computer you're using that's plugged directly into the modem is the one you want. Copy this data exactly and choose the OK/Enter/Finished/Whatever button to commit the change. You'll probably also have to select the "Restart Router" button for the change to actually take effect.

That sounds like a lot, but it should really be simple. It would be, too, if the manual was properly written.

Give that a shot and see what kind of results you get. Good luck.

(edit!) OOPS! I forgot to tell you that in the setup where it lets you enter a username and password, and WAN type, you should select "Dynamic IP," which is the appropriate choice for a standard cable connection. Your DSL probably required PPP over Ethernet, along with a username and password, but cable doesn't use those at all.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 10:21 PM

Glenn, thanks for the router info. I hope we can get it going. None of our computers are hardwired into the modem--we run the ethernet from the modem to the ABS and we're all wireless and fancy free. Which has worked without a glich, except the time the dog ran through the wires and pulled a few things over--but that's OK now. So how would we configure the router--pick the nearest computer? Or would the router have to be wired into a computer for this to work, oh you of the many manuals?

I'm about to try the Linksys Wet 11. When I returned the DLink, the manager wanted to know what "it didn't work" meant. So I took a deep breath and told him what had happened including IP addresses and routers and everything I could remember, asked him if he knew what a gateway was, talked about Network Utility and blah blah blah, and he looked a bit pale, and said "Oh." So, I said, it's dead. We pinged it, 100% loss of info. Dead. He says, it's not really dead...and I couldn't help it, I mean how many times in one's life do you get an intro like that? I interrupted and said, no, it's only sleeping, it bought the farm, it's met its maker, it's pushing up daisies, it's time has come...ah, what a moment. The guy started laughing, and they gave me back the money, which was what mattered.

Have you heard of Comcast Pro? It's their new (at least in these parts) upgraded service, $95 a month, and the site hints that if you pay the extra money you may get network. It talks about xbox and Comcast, lists routers that would "work" with Comcast, then says bit Comcast doesn't support networks, so if you are going to try this you need to know a lot about networking or hire a professional. Then, suddenly the Pro link appears. Hmmm. Maybe they'll screw the Pro users as well, but I'd like to know for sure. I was raised in a very blue collar family with not much money, union people, and this is the stuff I was taught Ain't Right. Class action, suit, anyone? I can dream, can't I? Sorry I write so much, I'm a writer and can't seem to say things quickly.

Off to try again.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 10, 2004, 10:44 AM

You can use any computer you choose to, that really doesn't matter. It would be best to use a cable to set up the router (maybe necessary, considering your network setup), but once it's set up you don't need anything connected to the router except the modem and AirPort Base Station. You may want to use the base station's address, since it seems to be working, and it's easy to get from the label.

ssshunt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 02:25 PM

I gave up last night and told the kid to take it donwstairs and unplugg us and plug the xbox into the modem and have a fun night. The one place that was really helping, you would not believe how many configurations there were, and how many resettings of the bridge--support at Linksys was good. But then the line started breaking up. When we were about 3 minutes from getting it. I'm serious.

I have one question today: How do I find the SSID? I think I asked this before, but I still can't get it. It won't work until I do--we had to configure the bridge using my computer because (I am so ticked about this) although it says Macintosh in big letters on the box, it comes with PC software. So no easy walk throughs for me. Why the hell call it Mactintosh, and not include Mac software, or at least a manual that shows how to configure the sucker through the computer?

I will get this, but today I'm leaving for a much earned rest away from it all with spuse at fancy hotel. See you Monday. ANd thanks again for the help.

John Strung
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 06:38 PM

You can in fact set up the WET11 from a Mac. The instructions are found HERE

The network name (or SSID) of a new AirPort Base station is "Apple Network xxxxxx", where xxxxxx is the last six characters of the AirPort ID, located on the label on the bottom of the base station. Do not include the quotation marks and be sure to put a space after Apple and Network.

You should be able to find this using your Airport Utility.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 10:27 AM

You do not need to buy anything!

You can bridge the XBox to the wireless network using the eMac. I have done almost exactly the same thing, only with a powerbook. You just have to connect the XBox to the Powerbook using Ethernet, then in the Sharing tab of the system preferences select "Share internet connection...over Airport..from machines connecting over Ethernet".

I am actually trying to work out a hardware bridgte solution, because using the Powerbook is not ideal - although it does work very well.

dsl1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
You do not need to buy anything!

You can bridge the XBox to the wireless network using the eMac. I have done almost exactly the same thing, only with a powerbook. You just have to connect the XBox to the Powerbook using Ethernet, then in the Sharing tab of the system preferences select "Share internet connection...over Airport..from machines connecting over Ethernet".

I am actually trying to work out a hardware bridgte solution, because using the Powerbook is not ideal - although it does work very well.

I want to do that to. Did you use a normal ethernet cable or crossover? I can't get it to work with either one. Help anyone?
( Last edited by dsl1; Jan 19, 2004 at 10:00 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2004, 11:21 AM

Depending on how new your eMac is, you may need a crossover cable. The newest cards autodetect what kind of cable you use, so using a crossover can't hurt. You will probably have to go into the XBox's network setup to tell it to look for a new IP from the eMac. Once done, the XBox should also get addreses for the DNS, gateway etc. automatically.

dsl1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 12:29 PM

When it tries to connect i says cables are connected fine but can't find an ip.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2004, 11:11 AM

That sounds like a problem with the sharing configuration on the Mac. It should be providing an IP to the XBox through DHCP, but it doesn't seem to be. You may want to restart the Mac and then see if the XBox gets an address. If it doesn't, then could you post the settings you have for sharing?

dsl1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 07:15 PM

nope that still doesn't work... any other ideas?

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by dsl1:
nope that still doesn't work... any other ideas?
Internet sharing of an xbox appears to be broken in Panther. Should work in jag though.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

dsl1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
Internet sharing of an xbox appears to be broken in Panther. Should work in jag though.

Great

Darn I really wanted to do that

Forum Links
Forum Rules