Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network Drive

Network Drive
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2005, 02:20 PM

I know that this has probably been asked already but I have little time to wait. For this I apologize. I have a Belkin 4 port switch with .11 G wireless and would like to add my external drive to it. I was wondering if anyone t=knows what it is that I will need to get so that I can make this possible. There are many things that I want to do and this seems like the most plyable solution. I have asked a couple of companys if they have anything like that and I keep getting bum scoop. I hope that someone can help thank you in advance. Sory for any errors as I said I am in a hurry
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 31, 2005, 05:56 PM

Are you trying to add an external drive to your wireless router like a Network Attached Storage device? I don't think that's possible. External drives are designed to simply attach like any USB (or firewire) device, while NAS devices do a lot more-they're a lot more like very small servers with their own CPU than anything else. I won't say it's impossible, but I have been looking for such a solution without any luck so far.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2005, 07:21 PM

Other than buying a (very expensive) NAS device, you could also trade out your router/switch for one that has a USB port for external drives like this one from Netgear. I assume other vendors have something similar.

Also, remember that most routers can be used as a simple switch by turning off DHCP serving etc, so your cheapest solution (at least, much cheaper than a NAS) could be to get something like the wireless router linked above, turn off the wireless and DHCP serving and just use it as a connect bridge for your external drive.

My personal solution .... I have an old iMac DV 450 that I tossed a 120gb/7200 rpm drive into. The iMac is on the network so its drives are accessible by all other wired and wireless members of my network.
( Last edited by Krusty; Jul 31, 2005 at 07:34 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 31, 2005, 09:37 PM

Krusty, I've never seen anything like that before! That's amazing! Thanks for the link!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Krusty, I've never seen anything like that before! That's amazing! Thanks for the link!
They look pretty cool, I probably would have bought one if I knew about them when I bought my wireless router last year.Here is another one by Dlink. It sports 2 USB ports and I found it via pricegrabber for as little as $46 (including shipping)
( Last edited by Krusty; Aug 1, 2005 at 12:12 PM. )

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 12:20 PM

n/m

Forum Links
Forum Rules