Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keychain: Not saving a password (and neither does Mail)

Keychain: Not saving a password (and neither does Mail)
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2005, 12:21 AM

Hey there,
My girlfirend has an account on my Mac (non-Admin). Each and every time she fires-up Mail, on OS X 10.4.2, it asks her for her POP mail password. Each and every time she types it in and selects "Remember this password in my keychain" - and it doesn't... ever. Also, in Mail's Preferences, I type in her password... save the new info (as it asks when I close the Preferences window)... but if I go right back to the Preferences after just having closed them - the password field is blank. Mail didn't save it either.

I've trashed Mail's Prefernces and started anew - to the same result. I've run "Keychain First Aid" on her account and everything is fine. I've deleted her "System" Keychain list - to the same result.

What gives? Neither Mail nor Keychain will store this damned password. I've trashed everything I read about.

My seperate (Admin) account is fine. FWIW, when I open my Keychain access - the lock is "unlocked." When I open hers - the lock is "locked." Perhaps because I'm an Admin?

In any case, this is a total annoyance and I hate the fact it's happening on an iMac that's 4 weeks old. It's my first new purchase in 5 years and already the software is ticking me off.

In short: what do I have to do to make "Remember this password in my keychain" really work (and for Mail's Pref's to remember it itself)? Thanks,
BD

*** One final other observation. I have the following "Keychains" listed: login, System, X509Anchors. She only has the following "Keychains" listed: System, X509 Anchors. Is it that she's missing "login"? If so, how would I create that for her (and why isn't Keychain doing it in the first place!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules