Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > restoring 10.6 after Lion?

restoring 10.6 after Lion?
Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2011, 05:40 PM

I installed Lion on two of my computers and wish i hadn't the auto save "feature" drives me crazy when using Keynote in particular but even on spreadsheets it causes loss of input as it saves mid key stroke
Every time i try to make a new entry it hangs up with the auto save and with files of 500mb or so it often hangs for 20 seconds or more
I miss Safari , using Chrome and Firefox now, both OK but Safari was my preferred browser
The spellchecker I have mentioned before gets in my way constantly with its alterations
I have had enough and want to go back to 10.6 , I can make backups to external hard drives of data
Is there any problem with starting up on an old 10.6 DVD/CD and doing a clean install on the main drive ?
I get the impression from reading messages that Lion is a bit problematic when trying to remove it?
Worse comes to worst I will buy a new Mac if they can get one with 10.6 only only
I seem to be the sole voice of discontent but Lion does not work for me it fights me all the day long and I want out but do not want to get stuck in limbo by starting a clean instal and ending up with a dead machine ??? (although at times that would be preferable!)
Advice ,tips appreciated
Ron

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2011, 09:41 PM

I can't believe Apple didn't anticipate such problems and provide ways to turn off Auto-Save on an application or global basis.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2011, 01:14 AM

I might be doing the same thing with my moms laptop which is just not powerful enough to run Lion right, at least when it comes to watching youtube videos and stuff. In her case I will be restoring with Time Machine. You "should" have no problems reinstalling Snow Leopard from DVD. You start up off the disk and format your hard drive. You will want to join the special partition made by lion so you have your entire hard drive back. Easy enough to do in Disk Utility. Then you just install Snow Leopard

If you have never done this before, place the Snow Leopard DVD into your computer and reboot. You can either hold down C or Option to boot from the DVD. When the welcome screen comes up click on English then go to the Utilities Menu (im doing this from memory so it might be called something else) and select Disk Utility. From there it opens up and you can see your hard drive setup. Lion creates a special partition so you can select use entire disk to restore it to one. If you also have a bootcamp partition you don't have to delete it. Once your disk is initialized as a single partition format it as HFS+ journaled. Then quit Disk Utility and continue installing as is. If you run into any problems I can post screen shot images. Again I haven't done this yet for Lion will be shortly but its the standard method for every version of OS X since its come out. I cant see it being any different for Lion

Remember to backup your data onto a external hard drive though before you will be wiping your entire drive.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Yarlington  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2011, 06:18 AM

Well I have been agonising over getting a 27" imac since they were released.

Today I was told the units coming out of Apple have a firmware update that prevents the installation of earlier OS than Lion so I figured what the heck and went to another store (Local Apple dealers did not have anything suitable) and picked up a new machine which still has 10.6 on it, only a 3.1GHz i5 ( I was going to go i7)

Interesting part was being able to upgrade to 12Gb RAM for less than the 8Gb Apple stores offer 2 4Gb for $120aus as against $240 and losing the default 4Gb
So I can now take it easy and strip the other machines (iBook and 24" imac) and reinstall 10.6 at my leisure.
It is so great to be able to make typos and see what they are instead of having the checker substitute words and to add data at my own rate to db (Keynote) and spreadsheets without constant hanging while it auto saves "in the background" for me in case I am a total idiot :-)
I love my Macs but hated those "features" of Lion
never again will I install with such naive trust that it will be OK because it comes from Apple !

thanks for the replies , appreciated
Ron

Yarlington  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I can't believe Apple didn't anticipate such problems and provide ways to turn off Auto-Save on an application or global basis.
Tell me about it I had no idea what a constant annoyance it could be , if it was "in the background" as they say it might be OK but it is in your face non stop, well it was on my machine, perhaps others are luckier
regards
Ron

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 06:48 AM

You didn't mention which Macs were giving you this problem. I haven't noticed it on my Late 2008 MBP. I'd be surprised if it were noticeable on any new iMac. You can always lock a document to prevent it from happening.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Yarlington  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You didn't mention which Macs were giving you this problem. I haven't noticed it on my Late 2008 MBP. I'd be surprised if it were noticeable on any new iMac. You can always lock a document to prevent it from happening.
It was a 24 inch imac about 2 years old 4Gb RAM also a iBook (12-13"?) never remember- about 1 year old)
Locking the document does NOT work if you are entering data , you end up making copies or something or having to unlock it every time a real plus (not!)
The auto save is a classic case of adding something not needed by most, trying to make it better for the people who need to be spoon fed , after years of use it is automatic to do a command S every so often when you are working , and it does not interfere with the workflow.

Are you using Keynote for storing info in files of any size? A word processor is barely noticeable because of file size even a full 50,000 word document is only a megabyte or so , spreadsheets also are relatively small usually.

thanks for looking
Ron

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Yarlington View Post
Well I have been agonising over getting a 27" imac since they were released.

Today I was told the units coming out of Apple have a firmware update that prevents the installation of earlier OS than Lion so I figured what the heck and went to another store (Local Apple dealers did not have anything suitable) and picked up a new machine which still has 10.6 on it, only a 3.1GHz i5 ( I was going to go i7)

Interesting part was being able to upgrade to 12Gb RAM for less than the 8Gb Apple stores offer 2 4Gb for $120aus as against $240 and losing the default 4Gb
So I can now take it easy and strip the other machines (iBook and 24" imac) and reinstall 10.6 at my leisure.
It is so great to be able to make typos and see what they are instead of having the checker substitute words and to add data at my own rate to db (Keynote) and spreadsheets without constant hanging while it auto saves "in the background" for me in case I am a total idiot :-)
I love my Macs but hated those "features" of Lion
never again will I install with such naive trust that it will be OK because it comes from Apple !

thanks for the replies , appreciated
Ron
New macs can mostly never down grade to a previous version of OS. Usually the version of OS that comes with a Mac is the lowest version that Mac will use. It has been that way for a VERY long time, even back in the 68k days and PowerPC days. This does not affect computers you upgrade to Lion. Just ones purchased with Lion already.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
New macs can mostly never down grade to a previous version of OS. Usually the version of OS that comes with a Mac is the lowest version that Mac will use. It has been that way for a VERY long time, even back in the 68k days and PowerPC days. This does not affect computers you upgrade to Lion. Just ones purchased with Lion already.
This is usually (not always) the case with new models, its less usual for Apple to change a models firmware to stop it running older versions.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 01:35 AM

Mid Product refresh yes, thats why I said not always. Next generation Mac's will be tied to Lion and will not be able to go down to any previous version. Already shipping iMacs refreshed before Lion should still be able to go back to Snow Leopard but below that. Thats why I said mostly.....

elroth
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2011, 04:36 PM

I saw an article on ZDNet awhile ago that showed how to install Snow Leopard on a brand new Lion Mac (in his case a Mac Mini Server). It involves using Target Disk Mode, using a second Mac to install SL on the first Mac. I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for it, of course.

How to install Snow Leopard on a brand-new Lion-based Mac | ZDNet

Yarlington  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by elroth View Post
I saw an article on ZDNet awhile ago that showed how to install Snow Leopard on a brand new Lion Mac (in his case a Mac Mini Server). It involves using Target Disk Mode, using a second Mac to install SL on the first Mac. I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for it, of course.

How to install Snow Leopard on a brand-new Lion-based Mac | ZDNet
In the final stages of reinstalling OS10.6.3 now need to update and reinstall Photoshop and hopefully it will be functioning once more as it should, I used the standard process of strip off and back up all data , use the installation disc which tells me it cannot install so access Utilities and reformat the hard drive then install, so far pretty straight forward if tedious .
For the record this new 27" with 12Gb and OS 10.6.8 is singing to me after weeks of annoyance it is sweet to have Mac behaving like a mac should
Now next hurdle will Photoshop believe it is a reinstall and not a new install and tell me I need another licence? LOL

Always something
thanks for the input folks
Ron

Forum Links
Forum Rules