Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CD Burners, OS X, iTunes: Advice?

CD Burners, OS X, iTunes: Advice?
atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2002, 08:36 PM

So I finally decided to upgrade my CD Burner. 4X over USB wasn't cutting it anymore. I have a 5.25" Firewire enclosure I want to use, so I wanted an internal burner. Went to CompUSA and picked up a Sony 24X/10X/40X (CRX175A2). Put it in the enclosure. It reads discs fine. It burns discs with Toast.

Now for the problem...

iTunes shows it in the CD Burning Preferences as a "Plextor CD-R PX-W1210A", displayed in italics. (Toast lists it as "SONY CD_RW CRX175E2 [MMC3]")

I can select the new burner as the burner of choice in iTunes. When I actually go to burn a playlist, it tells me that "CD burner or software not found..." Same error as if my old burner were unplugged, but it can still see the burner in the preferences. If I have both the Zip USB burner and Firewire enclosed Sony plugged in, and try to burn a playlist, iTunes says that the selected burner can not be found and asks if I would like to use the Zip USB burner.

I figure it's just unsupported, and unless anyone knows a way to get it to work, it's going back to the store. I would really like some advice on what to go with. The other internal burners I considered were the TDK VeloCD 40X/10X/40, TEAC 24X/10X/40X. I'm not sure what mechanisms they have, so the apple.com/itunes compatibility chart isn't much help.

They also have two very reasonably priced models that I've never heard of: HiVal 24X/10X/40 and Pacific Digital 24X/10X/40. Does anyone know if either of these have iTunes compatible mechanisms?

I appreciate any input/advice/assistance.

-atomium

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: atomium ]

rudeyute
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2005, 05:42 AM

Try using patch burn http://www.patchburn.de/Resources/PatchBurn1.1en.sit

Made by the same people that developed the disc burn utility.

Might resolve the prob.

Forum Links
Forum Rules