Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] ThemeChanger 0.6 is out

[ANN] ThemeChanger 0.6 is out (Page 2)
mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Hey Fin,
I launched ThemeChanger on my Gigabook for the first time (with no themes on the system) to create a Panther Aqua backup. It said it did but the Aqua Backup folder has nothing in it... Is this normal?
I don't think it creates it until you actually install the theme. I just backs up things that it changes. And if you install a theme that changes more stuff it backs that up too. Brilliant really.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I don't think it creates it until you actually install the theme. I just backs up things that it changes. And if you install a theme that changes more stuff it backs that up too. Brilliant really.
Well, it was certainly designed to be somewhat intelligent. It's not perfect (if you update your OS, it won't update the aqua backup with any changed components, which is a bit of a problem -- before applying any patches, you should revert to Aqua and remove the Aqua backup, then you can run the updater and install your theme again ).

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2003, 07:16 PM

Just a note to say that 0.6.1 is now out

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:

Cool! Works great! Big update really!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 10:50 PM

Cool, I like the icon and the site is much more Mac looking now. The interface seems to updated for the better too. You could have bumped it up to v0.7.
click one

kovacs
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 12:22 PM

Hell froze over again, themechanger has a decent icon ! Nice update, glad to see themechanger is still alive

asleep@thewheel
Nov 2, 2003, 03:37 PM

you guys are kidding right?

that's a butt ugly icon...especially when one thinks what could be done by a kindergarten arteest!

kovacs
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by asleep@thewheel:

that's a butt ugly icon...especially when one thinks what could be done by a kindergarten arteest!

It's better than it used to be, but something like this would be even better:

PS: I didn't make this icon, I believe it was part of World of Aqua ( Iconfactory ) ...

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 04:14 PM

Hiya, I just installed the new TC on my iBook. I have got no themes installed yet, and TC asks for a backup?
What do I have to do?

Also, is there a 10.3-compatible AquaFix?

Thanks
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

headbirth
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 05:13 PM

Interface sugestion:

Move the theme preview above the list and items panes for better resizing.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 06:08 PM

I get this as the dialog when I try to install Swiz's new 10.3 theme and or when I try to delete the old Aqua Backup from the menu.

"Theme changer tool terminated with status 255"

I'm running 10.3 on Aqua .

Can I delete something manually? An invisible file maybe?
Please help
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by JellyBeen:
I get this as the dialog when I try to install Swiz's new 10.3 theme and or when I try to delete the old Aqua Backup from the menu.

"Theme changer tool terminated with status 255"

I'm running 10.3 on Aqua .

Can I delete something manually? An invisible file maybe?
Please help
Problem fixed. I was not running TS from the Application folder, I was running it from another partition.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

superfula
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 09:55 PM

Let's see you come up with a better one. Or maybe you're the one who can't do better than a kindergarten kid

asleep@thewheel
Nov 3, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by superfula:
Let's see you come up with a better one. Or maybe you're the one who can't do better than a kindergarten kid
i don't have to proove anything...just stating a fact.

come up with a better retort nextime, superfool.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 3, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by andretan:
Hiya, I just installed the new TC on my iBook. I have got no themes installed yet, and TC asks for a backup?
What do I have to do?

Also, is there a 10.3-compatible AquaFix?

Thanks
You can download my Power Metal v10.3 theme, it comes with a reliable Aqua Restore for Panther.

swizcore.com/SS/macOSX.php

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
You can download my Power Metal v10.3 theme, it comes with a reliable Aqua Restore for Panther.

swizcore.com/SS/macOSX.php
Great! I'll grab it later

Last used Power Metal in Jaguar
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

ambush
Banned
Nov 3, 2003, 12:15 PM

I think we could actually take any icon of the iconfactory because this is a non profit project

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 02:08 PM

I donated it and the basic site design to the project because I thought it would be better than nothing, and they've been asking around here for quite a while for someone who might be willing to make an icon, to no avail.
I've had no real previous experience in creating icons, but I think this one came out alright.
If you're not satisfied, make your own and apply it to the app on your hard drive.

Maybe I could have chosen a better symbol for the app, but like I said, I have no prior experience in icon design.

Thanks a lot to everyone who did like it

[Edit: After reading some of asleep@theweel's other posts and realizing he's somewhat of a troll, my "explanation" doesn't seem that relevant anymore...]
( Last edited by Cerbero; Nov 3, 2003 at 02:15 PM. )

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 02:51 PM

Nice icon and site design Cerbero.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 02:57 PM

I like the simple site design too

asleep@thewheel
Nov 3, 2003, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Cerbero:

[Edit: After reading some of asleep@theweel's other posts and realizing he's somewhat of a troll, my "explanation" doesn't seem that relevant anymore...]
because i am honest in my opinion and forthright and do not kiss butt like some others you consider me a troll...hmmm?

still a crappy icon...sorry.

i should say the icon is plain and boring and doesn't suit the app.

color man...bold graphics, excitement, energy,
life, death, rebirth, karma...

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 03:46 PM

because i am honest in my opinion and forthright and do not kiss butt like some others you consider me a troll...hmmm?

still a crappy icon...sorry.

i should say the icon is plain and boring and doesn't suit the app.

color man...bold graphics, excitement, energy,
life, death, rebirth, karma...
Fair enough. Thanks for stating why you didn't like it at least. I'll try to improve it for a later release maybe.
I still think your comment in Billy's OMEGA thread was a bit trollish though, but let's not hijack the thread for that.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 04:10 PM

Don't worry about the icon, but if you are going to modify it anyway, may I suggest filling the white space with a graphic ( see aquafix icon ) or maybe some chasing arrows, it looks a little empty right now, that's all....

ambush
Banned
Nov 3, 2003, 04:42 PM

So are there any plans to change the current "theme changing engine" to something more sophisticated � la Monolith?

superfula
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 05:50 PM

i don't have to proove anything...just stating a fact.

come up with a better retort nextime, superfool.
If you can't come up with a better icon, you have no room to talk about how bad you think the icon is.

Way to troll on!!

asleep@thewheel
Nov 4, 2003, 08:49 AM

If you can't come up with a better icon, you have no room to talk about how bad you think the icon is.

Way to troll on!!
i can't paint a picture to save my life but i can appreciate great art...

ebert couldn't make a movie worth watching but he can criticize and make millions doing it...

you probably can't build a car but you still most likely called the pontiac aztek the ugliest vehicle on the planet.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 4, 2003, 01:14 PM

The things is most dislike about ThemeChanger is that it keeps asking me to install TCFix. I don't want it installed, and therefore I have to click cancel in a dialog each time I start the app.. Why hasn't this been changed? Why not make it a preference or a one time question?

superfula
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 03:25 PM

i can't paint a picture to save my life but i can appreciate great art...

ebert couldn't make a movie worth watching but he can criticize and make millions doing it...

you probably can't build a car but you still most likely called the pontiac aztek the ugliest vehicle on the planet.
There's a difference between appreciating art, constructive criticism of a movie, and simply insulting someone over an icon.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
The things is most dislike about ThemeChanger is that it keeps asking me to install TCFix. I don't want it installed, and therefore I have to click cancel in a dialog each time I start the app.. Why hasn't this been changed? Why not make it a preference or a one time question?
Is it a good thing or a bad thing to install TCFix?

How is it compared to Aquafix? I mean what's the difference? Which will save my butt if some theme screws up?

BTW, is Aquafix 10.3-ready yet or it's already compatible?

Thanks a bunch.
Just thought I'd ask someone who's really familiar with this theming stuff

asleep@thewheel
Nov 5, 2003, 01:53 AM

There's a difference between appreciating art, constructive criticism of a movie, and simply insulting someone over an icon.
no.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 02:21 AM

Ya same. It's getting annoying.
click one

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 07:58 AM

Yeah, and the main difference is the word 'someone'. Asleep feels safe behind his computer to say whatever he wants, but would probably not use the words 'sucks' when reviewing a movie to the director's face or in the Aztec designer's studio. In this forum he's responded to an announcement of a new icon with language normally reserved for use behind someone's back, but this is more of a face to face environment, making him look like a social misfit... something only compounded by his insistence rather than remorse.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 5, 2003, 09:29 AM

How is it compared to Aquafix? I mean what's the difference? Which will save my butt if some theme screws up?

BTW, is Aquafix 10.3-ready yet or it's already compatible?

Thanks a bunch.
Just thought I'd ask someone who's really familiar with this theming stuff
I suppose it can be a good thing for a regular user to install, but for me I don't want it installed because I know that I wont mess up my computer. Even if I did, I would boot from an other partition.

asleep@thewheel
Nov 5, 2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Yeah, and the main difference is the word 'someone'. Asleep feels safe behind his computer to say whatever he wants, but would probably not use the words 'sucks' when reviewing a movie to the director's face or in the Aztec designer's studio. In this forum he's responded to an announcement of a new icon with language normally reserved for use behind someone's back, but this is more of a face to face environment, making him look like a social misfit... something only compounded by his insistence rather than remorse.
i realize now i was a bit to harsh and apologize for ruffling some feathers...i will endeavor to be more diplomatic when it comes to matters of taste.

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2003, 03:52 PM

hello i have a problem look

ambush
Banned
Nov 5, 2003, 04:51 PM

wow,

je pense qu'il a oubli� d'updater le NIB fran�ais!

Clique ThemeChanger (application) va dans lire info clique langage et enl�ve fran�ais.

Et dis-le � l'auteur!

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2003, 05:03 PM

Oui j'y ai pens� aussi lol donc j'ai effac� le fichier et �a marche super

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 06:29 PM

I don't want it installed
Can I just ask why? I absolutely can't think of any reason for this.

Why hasn't this been changed? Why not make it a preference or a one time question?
File a bug report.

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 06:35 PM

A good thing. There's no reason not to. You can remove it later from within the application if you choose.

Unlike AquaFix and Aqua Restore themes, TC backs up any components which are modified by themes. In theory this should be more reliable, although there's no version control if the components have been updated by a system update (I think this is a problem which also afflicts other aqua restore methods). Before installing a Mac OS X update, revert to aqua and delete your aqua backup.

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
I think we could actually take any icon of the iconfactory because this is a non profit project
Where exactly does it say that on the IconFactory site? Not to mention, I think that the IconFactory icon is much uglier than the one Cerbero designed - Apple is going with a much sleeker, more elegant design for the OS, and I feel TC's icon fits in with that feel, whereas IF's is more playful and kidlike, much like the unrefined Aqua of OS X PB. Not that the decision is really mine, anyway.

EDIT: Looks like they are OK for non-profit use, according to the FAQ.
( Last edited by Angus_D; Nov 5, 2003 at 06:50 PM. )

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by JellyBeen:
Problem fixed. I was not running TS from the Application folder, I was running it from another partition.
File a bug report, it should warn in this case. Perhaps we should distribute it as an installer package...

Originally posted by headbirth:
Interface sugestion:

Move the theme preview above the list and items panes for better resizing.
File a bug report/RFE.

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 06:43 PM

Just ignore it and continue, this is only for the benefit of those who have used other theme switchers in the past and are currently not using the default Aqua theme of OS X.

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
So are there any plans to change the current "theme changing engine" to something more sophisticated � la Monolith?
At this point in time, Monolith is vaporware, and until I see it with my own eyes, I won't believe that it's as revolutionary as it claims to be. I'm just going on past experience, with ThemeKit and all the glory of xscheme, which never caught on for multiple reasons (mostly bad design).

If you have any suggestions for how it could work better, or even better any ideas at how to implement it, we're all ears.

ambush
Banned
Nov 5, 2003, 06:52 PM

At this point in time, Monolith is vaporware, and until I see it with my own eyes, I won't believe that it's as revolutionary as it claims to be. I'm just going on past experience, with ThemeKit and all the glory of xscheme, which never caught on for multiple reasons (mostly bad design).

If you have any suggestions for how it could work better, or even better any ideas at how to implement it, we're all ears.
ok cool stuff

Forum Links
Forum Rules