Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mumps sucks

Mumps sucks
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 12:26 PM

About 5 people at my school have had it within the past month. I thought I'd be OK because I was pretty sure I'd been vaccinated as a kid.

So on Thursday I was talking to one of the guys who was off sick with it about how the school was going to quarantine him for the exam we both had on Friday and how it was all a bit weird. That evening my left jaw suddenly swelled up. Anyway the school wouldn't let me anywhere near the premises on Friday morning to do my A-Level Maths Mechanics 2 module, which was a bit ridiculous (I don't see why they couldn't have just shoved me in the same room as the other guy that was being quarantined?).

I've been doing some research and it looks like there have been weird outbreaks all over the country (see BBC News) at Universities, and schools in some areas have been offering free boosters for those at risk since like November.

Obviously they haven't been doing enough. Anyway, I don't know if this applies to any of you but if you're 16-25 in the UK and you're at all dubious about whether or not you've had 2 doses of the vaccine (or even if you think you probably have - I'm fairly sure I've had at least one and possibly two), I sincerely suggest you contact your GP.

I'm scheduled for a blood test tomorrow because they want to know what's going on. I love the NHS

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 12:30 PM

The outbreak started in Nottingham and Leicester a few months back - at Loughborough (where I am) they went into overdrive vaccinating everyone who hadn't already caught it. I walked in and walked out again in under 5 min (although I had had the jab at least twice before).

Hope you get better soon

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 12:49 PM

Yeah I don't get it. I'm fairly pissed off that my school didn't do that the first time someone was diagnosed with it. And actually why exactly aren't the health authorities notifying everybody that might need it?

Hasn't even been on the national/local news here...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Yeah I don't get it. I'm fairly pissed off that my school didn't do that the first time someone was diagnosed with it. And actually why exactly aren't the health authorities notifying everybody that might need it?

Hasn't even been on the national/local news here...
I'm wondering whether you haven't heard about it, due to it being a 'big thing' many months ago in the Midlands - must have taken a while to work its way up to where you are.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2005, 07:14 PM

Bleeeeech...

Hopefully i clicked on the thread, but no: it's the disease again, not that weird basic-like variable juggler, the programming language. Damn!
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Forum Links
Forum Rules