Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking for Mac OS 9 compatible external Hard Drive for Blue and White G3

Looking for Mac OS 9 compatible external Hard Drive for Blue and White G3
chjenkinz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 08:01 PM

I just bought an iMac and I need to save all my files from my Blue and White G3. The problem is that most of the latest external hard drives are only compatible for MAC OSX and up, and I'm running MAC OS 9.2.2. Does anyone know / can anyone suggest a reasonable external hard drive for my ancient G3?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 08:36 PM

I think you should just be able to get an external enclosure and stick any internal hard drive in it. I think most anything should work with OS 9 as long as you format it with the OS 9 drivers, unless OS 9 has some kind of built-in size limitation on hard drives (anyone want to chime in on this?).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

yikes600
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2007, 08:47 PM

instead of investing in a new hard drive, I'd suggest removing the hard drive from your old G3, sticking it in a USB or firewire enclosure, and attaching that to your new iMac. It would be super easy to copy your files over that way. Alternatively, you can probably file-share over ethernet between the two computers, or you could just archive all your files from the B&W G3 if it's equipped with a burner.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 12:35 AM

Blue & White's have Firewire, as does your new iMac, so no need to get any external solution. Just take a Firewire cable and connect the two Macs. Boot the B&W into Target Disk Mode (all of this is documented on Apple's Support pages), and your B&W will show up as an external HD to your iMac. Or, once connected, you can just let Migration Assistant work it's magic and bring all of your files over to the iMac for you.

On a side note, any HD will be cross-compatible for OS 9 and OS X. You only need OS 9 drivers if you want to boot off the drive.

The size limitation mentioned shouldn't really affect anything here. The reference is to the fact that B&Ws (and a lot of hardware from that era), couldn't address more than 128 gigs (I think that's the number), so if you had a 160gb HD, you'd only see 128 on the B&W. Like I said, it shouldn't be an issue here, since you're not putting a new HD in the B&W.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 18, 2007, 12:57 AM

did B+Ws have Target Disk Mode? I know the one I had didn't....

yikes600
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2007, 04:25 AM

yup... unfortunately the B&W G3's didnt have target disk mode.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 12:28 AM

Wow, my mistake. We used to have a B&W, and I would have sworn I put it in target disk mode at one time or another. I have an ancient G3 500 iMac that has it, so I assumed the "pro" model from that time frame would too.

Edit: Just a thought, do the new iMacs have Target Disk Mode? Because if they did, could he boot the iMac into TDM, and have it show up on the B&W? Then he could move the files from the B&W to the iMac. I'm hesitant to believe the only way to transfer the files is by buying an external drive.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 19, 2007, 12:46 AM

unless the B+W has 10.4 installed it wouldn't be able to read the GUID partitioned drive in the iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules