Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ADC+Core Image+AGP4x != feasible ??

ADC+Core Image+AGP4x != feasible ??
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 11:10 AM

I wonder if there was any graphics card that being able to run Core Image by hardware, retains the ability to drive an ADC display natively just like it was factory installed (no adaptors). I can only think of a certain Radeon 9800 which had ADC connectivity but that model was AGP 8X so my guess is it runs with G5 Power Macs only… -confused here-

reader50
Administrator
Nov 22, 2007, 01:52 PM

The Radeon 9000 AGP can do what you want.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The Radeon 9000 AGP can do what you want.
Slight problem; the 9000 doesn't support Core Image.

The only ADC AGP 4x card that supports Core Image that I can think of is the Radeon 9700. However, it was specifically engineered to work in the AGP slot of the MDD Power Macs and wont work in any other machine. As such they are very expensive when they do wind up on eBay.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 04:04 PM

Thanks to both of you… yes, I have a 9000 inside my MDD and it doesn't support Core Image, well, System Profiles says it does by software but I guess software is a poor man's version of hardware, so to speak…

So my guess is that those Mac Radeon 9700 on eBay I am looking right now are the retail edition instead of the OEM version since they lack the ADC connector… no wonder they are 110 euros…

yikes600
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I can only think of a certain Radeon 9800 which had ADC connectivity but that model was AGP 8X so my guess is it runs with G5 Power Macs only… -confused here-
How about that 9800 with pins taped to work in 4x? I know it was a popular thing to do with Radeon 9600s that came with the G5s.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 06:34 PM

That would be really cool… so what about this statement from ATI?

ADC for the G4 is different from the G5. The power connector on the motherboard is not in the same place. Therefore the following is true:
G4 ADC cards will not fit into a G5 at all.
G5 ADC cards fit into a G4, but the ADC power tab will not be connected - and the cards won't boot anyway.
The only cards that can work on both machines are NON-ADC AGP 4x cards" (like the retail Radeon 9800 Pro ME)

source: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Mac Edition) versus others

Is that ATI's mostly rubbish?, I can remember reading about the tap thing… I would dare to say even macsales.com used to sell some 9800 8X which would run with G4 MDDs, albeit I am not sure if those ATIs were retail (non ADC) instead of OEM models.

skilled2k1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 09:20 PM

As I remember it back when that ADC usage was the holygrail, some went as far making their own 'adapters' to relocate the g5 radeons ADC connector to make it function in a G4. My memory is pretty gray into the details of if it was ever possible or what was involved.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2007, 09:56 PM

Thanks to both of you… yes, I have a 9000 inside my MDD and it doesn't support Core Image, well, System Profiles says it does by software but I guess software is a poor man's version of hardware, so to speak…

So my guess is that those Mac Radeon 9700 on eBay I am looking right now are the retail edition instead of the OEM version since they lack the ADC connector… no wonder they are 110 euros…
There was never a retail Mac Edition 9700. There are a few PC cards that have been flashed over to Mac floating around on eBay, but no, they don't have ADC. And in fact, most of them aren't even 9700s, they're 9500s 'unlocked' to 9700s.

I'd avoid them if at all possible.

Originally Posted by yikes600 View Post
How about that 9800 with pins taped to work in 4x? I know it was a popular thing to do with Radeon 9600s that came with the G5s.
The only 9800 with ADC was the 8x AGP Pro card for the G5s, and it is physically incompatible with any other Power Mac's AGP slot. Tape mod would make no difference since it wouldn't physically fit.

And the only 9800s that can be modified with tape require an EEPROM modification as well, and also don't have ADC either.

That would be really cool… so what about this statement from ATI?

ADC for the G4 is different from the G5. The power connector on the motherboard is not in the same place. Therefore the following is true:
G4 ADC cards will not fit into a G5 at all.
G5 ADC cards fit into a G4, but the ADC power tab will not be connected - and the cards won't boot anyway.
The only cards that can work on both machines are NON-ADC AGP 4x cards" (like the retail Radeon 9800 Pro ME)

source: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Mac Edition) versus others

Is that ATI's mostly rubbish?, I can remember reading about the tap thing… I would dare to say even macsales.com used to sell some 9800 8X which would run with G4 MDDs, albeit I am not sure if those ATIs were retail (non ADC) instead of OEM models.
OWC sold G5 9600s tape modded to G4s. But their ADC ports were rendered useless.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2007, 04:56 AM

so in a nutshell, I better start the Apple OEM 9700 hunt…

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 23, 2007, 01:19 PM

Bingo.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2007, 04:37 PM

I have an FX5200 from a G5 in my mirror door. I chopped a couple of pins off one end and taped a couple more (by destroying them) and it works like a charm. But the ADC connector is elsewhere. Making an adaptor is on my to do list though......
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks for your input Waragainstsleep -cool nickname btw-, but I have read that sadly, the mood you need to do to the nVidia FX5200 kills the posibility to power the ADC display…

The connectors I removed don't connect with the 4x AGP-slot in the G4s, only connect additional Power (12V & 3,3V) to the graphic-card, the data-lines are the same in AGP-pro and AGP 4. (Note - the ADC power (24/28V DC) stub doesn't mate in G4s IIRC, so the ADC power will no longer power ADC monitors.
source: Mods to OEM G5 FX5200 card for G4 Macs

So since I don't want to give up on this display neither to buy an expensive adaptor I guess I have to keep looking for a damn expensive OEM 9700…

reader50
Administrator
Nov 24, 2007, 01:06 PM

Someone in Marketplace was recently offering Apple's DVI -> ADC adapter for $65 OBO. I don't know if it's still available. Even if it's not, those adapters come up from time to time anyway.

The cards that have ADC natively are getting older. I'd suggest a more modern card + an adapter. You'll get better performance, and might save money overall.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2007, 01:34 PM

The convoluted cable mess that comes with a DVI > ADC adapter kinda defeats the purpose of keeping an ADC monitor.

If somebody were going to go that route, I'd say they'd might as well just sell the ADC monitor and pick up something with DVI from NewEgg.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2007, 07:51 PM

It really shouldn't be too hard to run a couple of cables from the ADC power connecter on the logic board to the one on the card. Its only four pins tops. Like I say, I might try it soon.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

macbones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2007, 08:40 PM

radeon 9800 from ebay worked for me for a couple of years, but even with a fan overheating was a problem, and the MDD 867 fans ran loudly. since moving back to the gforce 4mx, a lot quieter box. ripples were not worth it. Problem w/ the 4mx is dual display problems in leopard.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2007, 11:43 PM

The only Radeon 9800 with ADC is the G5 Edition, and it also will not work in the OP's machine.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2007, 12:15 AM

I have a spare PowerMac G4 (Gigabit) with a 1.4GHz 7447B upgrade. It had a Radeon 8500 in it, running a 17" studio LCD (ADC) via the Apple DVI-ADC box. The fan on the 8500 croaked a couple months ago and the machine would crash as the video card heated up. I recently replaced it with a $110 eBay flashed Radeon 9800 (flashed PC card w/ 128MB). No ADC of course, but the card supports all Core Image features and seems to handle Leopard quite well. The DVI to ADC box works quite well and adds only minor cable clutter. But the longer total cable length makes positioning the computer on the floor much easier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules