Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac problems...

iMac problems...
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2000, 06:35 PM

I have an iMac Rev. D (333mhz) and I am having the weirdest problem.

For a while now, occasionally the monitor jumps and a small interference appears on it for a second or so, and then disappears. However, on Friday, my iMac crashed (just a normal crash, but a hard one). I turned it off at the power (pushing the button on the front almost never seems to turn it off after a crash).

When I turned it back on, the monitor went extremely weird. It's difficult to explain, but it was just like it was jumping around. Anyways, I thought: this is bad. I turned it off. Then, I turned it back on.

Even worse.

Now it definitely won't boot.

I push the power button, it goes to orange, I can hear the HD spinning up to boot... Then, it turns green, and just about the point where the monitor turns on (I hear the sound of it turning on), it just dies. It cuts out. I am wondering what the hell is wrong with it... Someone has given me the advice of leaving the clock battery thing out of the holder for 48 hrs or so to let the motherboard reset. I'm trying anything.

Anybody got any ideas? Cause it's 1yr 3 months old and out of warranty. I'm currently running on an IBM ThinkPad and missing Mac OS like you wouldn't believe

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2000, 05:37 AM

Yo Angus! Use your 7200
Replacing the tube isn't cheap: about 300 pounds. I know because mine needs replacement as well (damaged a bit). Or get the bottom of the iMac off, unplug the monitor cable and plug your 7200's monitor in it. That should enable you to work on your iMac again. Then figure out the mouse movements to get to the Monitors and Sound control panel, plug back your iMac's monitor in and try to click the 'Restore factory settings' in the M&S CP... blindly. Anyway, good luck.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Cipher13
Jul 31, 2000, 07:14 AM

No need to do it blind (though its not hard - use keyboard). Write an Apple Script. If you don't know AppleScript, email me and I'll do it for you.
The AppleScript will get you there, then you have to go blind... I don't think the M7S CDEV is scriptable...
To reset your mother board, you can hit a button on it - not sure where this is on an iMac, or whether its too hard to get too... (or if it even has one. I assume it does).
Just let the monitor stay on for a while. This is all assuming its actually still in working condition, mind you. Is it? Can you tell?

Cipher13

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2000, 09:18 AM

Or write an RB app that simulates the mouse clicks. xmath 's made a plug to simulate mouse clicks and everything. http://www.nubz.org/ . Then just put it in the startup items folder.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2000, 05:56 PM

Well I've tried resetting the motherboard (wonderful CUDA RESET button and leaving PRAM battery our for about 24-36 hrs).

I'm going to try having fun with my monitor tho. Should be interesting...

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2000, 01:47 PM

Well I took it in for repairs and apparantly my analog board failed (the guy says that it's a common problem on pre-slot-loading iMacs).

Just out of interest, is that the circuit board that is located on the underside of where the cables plug into the back of the motherboard (the screen cable and various power supplies) and behind the HD?

Also, does anybody have any idea what these might cost (it's being fixed, but I want to know if it's a rip off or not - i'm paying �145 sterling for parts and labour)

mirage
Jan 14, 2001, 05:45 PM

eh. rofl....wtf are you talking about. the guy has your imac. he is going to charge you what he is going to charge you. heh if he wants to rip you off, then he will, it has nothing to do with what other people say..eheh

Smicky
Jan 30, 2001, 09:51 PM

Analog board problems with Summer iMac DVSE...

My Snow iMac just shut down one day while I was using it. Off! Poof!!! No warning, no crash. Power button does nothing, although you can hear the monitor "tinkle" as the electricity is applied. Then it cuts out.

I take it in (under warranty; it's only two and a half months old.) They say it's a bad Analog Board. They replace it. I turn it on at home, and twenty minutes later, same thing happens!!! Poof!!! Down goes the iMac, up goes my blood pressure.

They order another analog board, and it's DOA. Now it's been about 12 days since I've had a usable mac, and I'm furious. They get ANOTHER analog board from Apple, and it exhibits the same problems. "Well, it started up okay this morning, the it wouldn't start up for about half an hour. It seems okay now, though." *actual quote from local Apple Service Provider.

I promptly took my baby outta there and decided I'd try to get some work done and replace it before the warranty expired. It seems to be a heat issue, after all. The computer would get EXTREMELY hot (which I'm told is normal for the convection cooling to work properly) and then it would crash, and then not start up for about 1/2 an hour.

At first I had a fan blowing on it. This kept the CPU temperature at about 114F. Now I have an ealborate system to draw the Winter air into the underside of the vents via a nearby window and remot fan. This keeps the CPU temperature down to a chilly 100F. I'm afraid to turn the fan off now. Thank GOD for my fanless iMac! It's quiet like an airport in here!!! Apple, you are getting this lemon BACK!!!

Is Apple dropping the ball on quality, one of their primary perceived benefits?

Also, off topic, OS 9.1 has rendered my Que!Fire 12x CD burner inoperable. Going back to 9.0.4 has no effect. It's a cool looking doorstop. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

eMail: [email protected]

MarkusYamamoto
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2001, 04:56 AM

I'm not sure if this is the answer to your problem but, if you are willing try reformatting your hard drive and zero data/low level format if possible and start over from scratch sometimes hard drives get corrupted files and things don't work quite the same on the computer. Especially if you started with 8.6 and didn't perform a clean install when and if you upgraded the OS to 9 or, 9.0.4 etc... also making sure you have all the firmware and other updates current.
Markus
Markus 8^)

maxy
Feb 8, 2001, 03:35 AM

hello
my 1st generation imac was the worst investment i ever made. it has been a problem since i bought it but all the problems started happening just out of warrenty!!! it use to crash 3 times a day....so i had it serviced, but they couldn't tell me wat was wrong with it....didn't fix a thing anyway....so the second service they zeroed the hard drivec again, still to no avail, and lots of arguments with them.......since then it crashes with thousands of flickering lines come over the screen and a small black and white square. they flicker for a few seconds-to a minuet then it crashes. this seems to happen more if i have turned it off the night before rather than put it on sleep. but it is getting worse every day, driving me nuts and Apple Australia have given me the impression on the phone that they don;t give a toss! BAD LEMON..BAD AFTER SERVICE..BAD PRODUCT, bad for my stress levels!!
Could It be the mother boards were built without thought to the effects of heat? if so should we not get a new apple!!!!!!!! pleaase reply
[email protected]

MarkusYamamoto
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2001, 08:27 AM

Hey! I understand you. I had some problems with my rev B iMac but I realized that 98% of the problems with my computer
were usually from the hard drive .You need to pay attention to the way you install the system software or, not having the
right firmware installed in your hard drive.
Make sure you either upgrade by doing a clean install or, reformat the hard drive and zero the data and reinstall the new Mac OS
Then make sure you take care of the hard drive by using a utility program like TechTool Pro so you can fix corrupted files or
defragment or,optimize the drive to keep all your files and programs from freaking out.
It's pretty simple to keep your computer happy just take precautions don't install questionable demo software or insignificant software
that you will play with only once. Remember extention conflicts are a pain in the butt so, don't overload your hard drive with crap that
you won't use. I Have learned my lesson from my own experience so, use what you need to use and be cautious. If you feel adventurous
and you run into a problem it is usually not the computer, it is usually the system software and extention conflicts,and buggy software
that is stored in your hard drive. I can sleep at night knowing this and most problems are not that significant (big). Don't be afaid of
starting over just backup anything that is important and reinstall what you need to use.
Don't assume that your old Centris 650 will be able to run OS 8.1 and be able to run very well use common sense. Apple says that a peticular OS
will work with your Mac but it will not run very well because most of the time when they introduce a new Mac and OS, it is optomized for the new computer. Don't get me wrong even my rev. B 233 iMac will run OS X but Apple is not saying that it is going to run very well. Remember to have a
good hard drive,(as fast as you can afford) and lots of ram, and don't run virtual memory.
This post is getting kind of long so, I'lll stop now.
Good Luck Markus
Markus 8^)

Forum Links
Forum Rules