Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 6A14

6A14
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2001, 02:17 PM

For those of you obsessive about version numbers, looks like Apple is steaming ahead with Jaguar. They recently started building it, and 6A14 was built on Monday. The only thing I know about it is that it's xnu-212.3 (latest available on their opensource site is 208, the one in 10.1.1 is 201.5 -- when it takes them a while to roll out public versions it sometimes means that new hardware is around the corner and they don't want to disclose information about it, but then this is just pure speculation ).

MusicMac
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2001, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
<STRONG>when it takes them a while to roll out public versions it sometimes means that new hardware is around the corner and they don't want to disclose information about it, but then this is just pure speculation ).</STRONG>

Can you say g5????
G4/400 - 20/10GB HD -256MB RAM -OS X 10.1.2

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 21, 2001, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
<STRONG>For those of you obsessive about version numbers, looks like Apple is steaming ahead with Jaguar. They recently started building it, and 6A14 was built on Monday. The only thing I know about it is that it's xnu-212.3 (latest available on their opensource site is 208, the one in 10.1.1 is 201.5 -- when it takes them a while to roll out public versions it sometimes means that new hardware is around the corner and they don't want to disclose information about it, but then this is just pure speculation ).</STRONG>
Hmm, interesting. I don't think that stuff about new hardware is so off track either; I've been hearing from a variety of sources that a lot of bottlenecks are going to start open up for major performance improvements in 2002. This delay might not be directly connected to that, but there's going to be some interesting Apple hardware around the corner.

Where'd you find that build number? Bug-tracker? Mailing list?
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2001, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by MusicMac:
<STRONG>

Can you say g5????</STRONG>
I can say G5, but can Apple say G5?
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 03:26 PM

Oh brother, here we go again.
I can't wait for Santa and the easter bunny either!!!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Deestar
Nov 21, 2001, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<STRONG>

Hmm, interesting. I don't think that stuff about new hardware is so off track either; I've been hearing from a variety of sources that a lot of bottlenecks are going to start open up for major performance improvements in 2002. This delay might not be directly connected to that, but there's going to be some interesting Apple hardware around the corner.

Where'd you find that build number? Bug-tracker? Mailing list?</STRONG>
Darwin bug tracker I think, Check this out It's near the bottom on both:

Darwin Bug:2223459

Darwin Bug:2774642

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Deestar ]
Where there's a will
there's a way..

--Helen--
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2001, 05:34 PM

Can Steve say G5?

He said titanium seven times at Macworld in San Francisco in January. I wonder if he does say G5 at the Moscone Center in 2002, how many times will he say it. How many times will he say G5 just for effects value. Will he wear shoes or sandals? Hmm...

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by --Helen--:
<STRONG>Can Steve say G5?

He said titanium seven times at Macworld in San Francisco in January. I wonder if he does say G5 at the Moscone Center in 2002, how many times will he say it. How many times will he say G5 just for effects value. Will he wear shoes or sandals? Hmm...</STRONG>
My prediction:
ZERO
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2001, 09:52 PM

My prediction:
"And now, the all-new-PM G4 running a very different chip! G4 @ 868 Mhz!!! well, yes, it's one Mhz, but i say a very different chip... erm you gotc... IT ships today! erm or a maybe on a month! on an iPod store near you, erm i mean apple store."

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2001, 09:58 PM

My prediction:
"And now, the all-new-PM G4 running a very different chip! G4 @ 868 Mhz!!! well, yes, it's one Mhz, but i say a very different chip... erm you gotc... IT ships today! erm or a maybe on a month! on an iPod store near you, erm i mean apple store."

benh57
Senior User
Nov 22, 2001, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Deestar:
<STRONG>

Darwin bug tracker I think, Check this out It's near the bottom on both:

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Deestar ]</STRONG>
Neither of those bugs list any build numbers.

In fact, it looks like the "problem diagnosis" section is showing as "none provided" for ALL darwin bugs now. I hope its not because of this thread. :/

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: benh57 ]
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Deestar
Nov 22, 2001, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>

Neither of those bugs list any build numbers.

In fact, it looks like the "problem diagnosis" section is showing as "none provided" for ALL darwin bugs now. I hope its not because of this thread. :/

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: benh57 ]</STRONG>
Hmm, thats funny I swear there was info on 6A14 on the Darwin bug tracker. It's strange that everything has gone into "problem diagnosis(none provided)" mode as well.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Deestar ]
Where there's a will
there's a way..

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2001, 02:23 PM

Well, I think the most likely suggestion for that is the problems that have been bugging Darwin Bugs for a while now -- Apple moved to Radar 5.0 internally a few weeks ago and they seem to have been having teething troubles.

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2001, 04:23 PM

Uhm, sorry to ask this, but I did a quick search on the web for this and found nothing. (I think because I dont know where to search..)

What is Radar 5.0? I suspect its some sort of Bugtracker.. But nothing for shure.

thx for the Info

cu Martin

ntsc
Senior User
Nov 22, 2001, 04:26 PM

Radar is Apple's internal bug tracker system. I don't think that it is an off-the-shelf thing nor is it freely available...
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2001, 04:36 PM

Could someone clarify this for me: I was under the impression that the chip Apple will introduce as the G5 will be Moto's Apollo, a sped and refined G4.

If this is the case, I don't think we can necessarily conclude that the "true" G5 is very far off. 'Tells us plenty about the heft Apple's marketing division carries, but nothing we didn't know . . .

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2001, 05:04 PM

Thx for the quick answer. ) Now I know why I didnt find anything. )

cu Martin

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 22, 2001, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by iSore:
<STRONG>Could someone clarify this for me: I was under the impression that the chip Apple will introduce as the G5 will be Moto's Apollo, a sped and refined G4.

If this is the case, I don't think we can necessarily conclude that the "true" G5 is very far off. 'Tells us plenty about the heft Apple's marketing division carries, but nothing we didn't know . . .

</STRONG>
No, there's Apollo, and then there's the G5. The G5 could smoke Apollo easily. Both are in active development; I'm guessing that the Apollo chip will be used for the portables until the G5's much greater power consumption can be cut down significantly.

G5 PowerMacs are no joke ... those things are obscenely fast. They'd put Apple back in the race singlehandedly, and would remove all the bottlenecks from the lower lines as well, since much higher-performance G3 hardware is already widely available (from IBM).

In short, G5's in mass production is the current Holy Grail.

IMHO, as always.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2001, 05:45 PM

<STRONG>

No, there's Apollo, and then there's the G5. The G5 could smoke Apollo easily. Both are in active development; I'm guessing that the Apollo chip will be used for the portables until the G5's much greater power consumption can be cut down significantly.

G5 PowerMacs are no joke ... those things are obscenely fast. They'd put Apple back in the race singlehandedly, and would remove all the bottlenecks from the lower lines as well, since much higher-performance G3 hardware is already widely available (from IBM).

In short, G5's in mass production is the current Holy Grail.

IMHO, as always. </STRONG>
Any thoughts on a release date?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2001, 07:34 PM

The G4 is what, almost two years old already?

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the G5 coming out sometime soon. Not that I have unquestioning faith in it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 23, 2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>Any thoughts on a release date? </STRONG>
None at all, but they obviously have to release some kind of G5 at some point in 2002.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2001, 12:30 AM

<STRONG>

None at all, but they obviously have to release some kind of G5 at some point in 2002. </STRONG>
Ahh, so you're stating here, in this forum, on 11/22/2201 that Apple will release a G5 sometime in the year 2002?

That's a pretty bold statement
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 23, 2001, 01:39 AM

<STRONG>

Ahh, so you're stating here, in this forum, on 11/22/2201 that Apple will release a G5 sometime in the year 2002?

That's a pretty bold statement </STRONG>
How about this: if I'm wrong, I'll go to bed without any dinner.

[email protected]
Senior User
Nov 23, 2001, 06:58 AM

huzzah? (again?)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2001, 11:50 AM

<STRONG>
</STRONG>
Wow, I somehow was transported 200 years into the future 11/22/2201, and the G5 is still not released yet.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2001, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by --Helen--:
<STRONG>I wonder if he does say G5 at the Moscone Center in 2002, how many times will he say it. How many times will he say G5 just for effects value. Will he wear shoes or sandals? Hmm...</STRONG>
It sounds like he'd better wear a pretty fast pair of sneakers if he DOESN'T say "G5" ... to get the hell away from you guys charging at the stage with burning torches and pitchforks!

I'm wondering if the most significant hardware of the year could be a Quartz accelerator card, if such a beast is possible? (Made possible by the Raycer aquisition, etc.)

Any unusual graphic driver versions showing up in 6A14?

BTP
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2001, 01:51 AM

Somtimes looking from afar can make things come into focus. Details can get noisy.

I too belive we will see a G5 and associated upgraded components. I belive this as the G4 is getting long in the tooth and even the most doubtful person would have to concede that the G4's sucessor has been on the drawing board for some time. Now, I won't guess at a delivery date, but if the G5 delivers on the speed,the next worry is price. The G5 might be the best for a time to come, but if they cost 5 times as much as a G4, it is counter productive to growing the platform. Let's hope they can mass produce these at similar prices.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

McDriver
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2001, 04:17 AM

After checking a few roumorsites I have come to this brilliant and educated guess based on historical facts and the position of the tealeafes in my breakfastcup.

At Macworld SF in januari G4:s will be kicked up to 1Ghz-1.2 Ghz and the other models will follow on a falling scale.
If you look at how the speed has increased over the past few years and the modus operandi that Apple has in upgrading this is not impossible. The "reports" from Motorola suggests that this is definitly what will come in the Jobs opening speech, but of course they will be avaiable in 4-5 weeks later i.e februari.

On the subject of G5 it's not plausible to expect anything before august 2002. It takes time to build a new cpu-design, to test it, and to get it into production.

This is of course the truth

and on this issue I know I have the people behind me. Far, far behind me

Deestar
Nov 24, 2001, 07:01 AM

Just tried the bug tracker again and it seems to be working at the moment check out the links:

Where there's a will
there's a way..

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2001, 08:31 AM

Would it be fair to assume the following

G3= Low end chip.

G4= Prosumer maybe 7460 could go in the high end i-mac.

G5=Server very high end shit.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2001, 01:07 PM

According to the reg apple have got about 20 G5 running and they have a given a few to adobe etc to help with developing for them.

Also according to another moto mole they are on the (5th) revision and are ontime for the apple deadline of announcing them in the jan expo roll out in early feb...

check theregister.co.uk

Cheers Edd

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2001, 01:43 PM

*waits kind of impatiently for G5's...*

he he... I love when it's "brand spankin' new product announcement" rumour time!

Anyway... from what I've been readin' it seems that January is a reasonable time for the G5's to be introduced!

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
<STRONG>According to the reg apple have got about 20 G5 running and they have a given a few to adobe etc to help with developing for them.

Also according to another moto mole they are on the (5th) revision and are ontime for the apple deadline of announcing them in the jan expo roll out in early feb...

check theregister.co.uk

Cheers Edd</STRONG>
That's old info ... Apple (allegedly) has distributed dozens of prototype G5s, and the last revision they had was .7, with .8 due probably within a week now. Of course, my unsubstantiated crap is no more reliable than your unsubstantiated crap, so take it FWIW ....
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

charleschuck
Nov 24, 2001, 07:21 PM

I am daft. Oops. Sorry.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: charleschuck ]
Charles

Forum Links
Forum Rules