Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New AppleSCCSerial.kext -- possible fix for hangs

New AppleSCCSerial.kext -- possible fix for hangs (Page 5)
jackrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2002, 11:15 AM

PPP Hang
I have a fairly simple way around my hang-up but it may be facilitated by my ancient hardware, which is a biege G3, 256 RAM with an external MacSurfer V90 modem, running OS 10.1.3 and 9..2.2.
I click on "Edit" in the modem port window, then click on "modem" in the Nework window, then click the modem name in the pop-up list. This highlights the "Apply now" button, which I click. This causes the modem port window to disappear momentarily and when it comes back I click "Connect" and all is well.
This all takes less than half a minute, so I am disinclnded to attempt the Apple SCCSerial fix.

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by jackrobin:
<STRONG>PPP Hang
I have a fairly simple way around my hang-up but it may be facilitated by my ancient hardware, which is a biege G3, 256 RAM with an external MacSurfer V90 modem, running OS 10.1.3 and 9..2.2.
I click on "Edit" in the modem port window, then click on "modem" in the Nework window, then click the modem name in the pop-up list. This highlights the "Apply now" button, which I click. This causes the modem port window to disappear momentarily and when it comes back I click "Connect" and all is well.
This all takes less than half a minute, so I am disinclnded to attempt the Apple SCCSerial fix.</STRONG>
If what Think Secret rumours today to be included in 10.1.4 is correct, this will all become moot anyway. Here's hoping!

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2002, 11:53 AM

Has anyone else noticed that since updating to 10.1.4, connections aren't as good as with the version discussed here? No more hangs, but the "session terminated because the other side is not responding" error is back.... also, all internet apps seem to be slower.

I'm thinking of going back to this version. Am I imagining things?
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 26, 2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:
<STRONG>Has anyone else noticed that since updating to 10.1.4, connections aren't as good as with the version discussed here? No more hangs, but the "session terminated because the other side is not responding" error is back.... also, all internet apps seem to be slower.

I'm thinking of going back to this version. Am I imagining things?</STRONG>
Last night I couldn't hold a connection for more than 10 minutes. I don't dial-up often, so I'm not sure if that's the cause or not.

Anyone else experiencing this?

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 02:08 PM

I also noticed frequent disconnects and "other side not responding" messages. I thought this was a problem with my ISP.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
<STRONG>I also noticed frequent disconnects and "other side not responding" messages. I thought this was a problem with my ISP.</STRONG>
I don't get the 'other side not responding', rather I get the damn 'user authentication failed' dialog...when I know damn well that I haven't changed any settings. Plus my account is paid up to date so thats not it either.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>

I don't get the 'other side not responding', rather I get the damn 'user authentication failed' dialog...</STRONG>
I started getting this one too rather frequently.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

jackrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2002, 11:11 AM

Further to my post of 04/15/02 I have now installed 10.1.4 and it has made no difference to my connection hang-ups.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 03:15 PM

No problems with my iBook 600 or my 450MP...

Btw I had problems with using shareware connect apps...

I used Internet Connect and the problem never happens...

Cheers Edwin

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2002, 10:10 AM

Even after updating to 10.1.5, I still get the "the other side is not responding: session terminated" error on occassion. Anyone else?
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2002, 10:18 AM

10.1.5 fixes my last gripe with OS X
That being that connecting/disconnecting to the internet would mute all sound for a couple of seconds - on a 56k line with frequent disconnects it's a tad annoying having your music interrupted all the time!

Forum Links
Forum Rules